ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   F800 GS: anyone seeing these used yet? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427749)

dchakrab 01-27-2009 09:46 PM

F800 GS: anyone seeing these used yet?

I've never lusted after a recent year bike the way I've been looking at the F800 GS :) I've always been able to say "Oh, I like those Vstars" and then go look for something from '02 with low miles on it.

So, instead of waiting a decade, it looks like I'm going to have to consider coughing up some serious coin for one of these in the next couple of years.

Anyone seeing these used yet? Is it reasonable to expect them in the $7k-$9k range next winter (2009-2010) here in the US? I'm hoping to get feedback from folks who trawl Craigslist as obsessively as I do, but perhaps have a little more experience with used bike prices at the higher end of the scale.

Thanks!

thelouv 01-27-2009 09:57 PM

Who knows, CNN spouting doom & gloom, oil so low drillers may continue to slow production, a new administration in the presidential office, lots of unknowns out there. The bikes maybe down to $2500 by then & BMW asking the German govt for a bailout. All very unlikely though. I got mine with 600 miles on it and about 1 month old. I did save a few hundred bucks but not thousands and based on my 20+ years of automotive resale experience, given the current demand and supply of these bikes, the only way you can hope to find one in that $ range would be if it has serious issues to rectify. Which hey, you may be a very capable person who likes such projects. I have a friend who only buys broken s__t. His garage always has some sort of project cluttering it up.

One Eye Mike 01-27-2009 10:25 PM

I have a "used" one in my garage. But you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers............:D

fullmonte 01-28-2009 07:47 AM

Several have popped up in the flea market here on ADV. I doubt you'll see them go for less than $10k this year.

knutte-bor-i-amerika 01-28-2009 07:52 AM

But isnt that what they cost new, base?

Wildman 01-28-2009 08:52 AM

There's one on ebay UK for 4000. It's an ex-BMW off-road school bike to probably had a bit of a work out.

RobTheRigger 01-28-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildman
There's one on ebay UK for 4000. It's an ex-BMW off-road school bike to probably had a bit of a work out.

Is that the one they totalled? (pics are on ukgser, somewhere, i think.)
:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Rob

Bike4Fun 01-29-2009 02:05 PM

The F800GS starts at $10,520. And then 95% of the time the bike is going to get farkled adding at least another $2,000. I think it will a couple of years before you see one below $10,000. I did run across one last night that was fully loaded - BMW cases and all the options for $12,500. I would venture to say that guy is loosing $2,000 on that deal.

Oh yeah and the price just went up.
MSRP: $10,995.00*
*Actual price determined by dealer. Price excludes taxes, license, options and handling charge. Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.

levity 01-29-2009 06:43 PM

Bike4Fun pretty much summed up the situation.

2009 BMW F800GS in So. Calif.

listed here :deal

LarryC 01-29-2009 07:00 PM

I have spent all of my adult life in the Marine Corps. I have never had too much extra money...but when the F800GS came out I had to have one. I paid retail for the bike and do not regret it. BMW gives you a 3/36 warranty and I wanted to be the guy who broke the engine in. I may not be as smart as some guys on the board but I can tell you that often times buying used does not work out over the long term. BMW parts are pretty pricey. You may find buying a used bike will cost you more over the long run. Before I bought my bike I rode the KTM 990 and the KLR650. I liked them both but the BMW is simply in its own class. Good Luck

tmex 01-29-2009 08:53 PM

Assuming the F800 falls into the "low depreciation" range, and I think it does, you can expect between 11% and 12% depreciation per year for a well-maintained bike. Almost everyone well add farkles to the bike which tend to depreciate faster, but the seller will want something for them. Unless you run into a desperate situation, I would not expect to see bargains on used bikes for at least two to three years. Even the dealers will create an aftermarket, so it will be tough to find a screamin' deal.

At the end of the day it is always better to spend your time an energy trying to figure out how to make more money, than searching for bargains.

One thing that can change this dynamic is if BMW or some other manufacturer comes out with a much better product in terms of performance or mission statement. In that case the owners of the F800 will migrate on. Frankly, I do not see that happening. I think BMW really got this one right. I do not know what I would improve on the bike other than the suspension, and the aftermarket guys will be all over that shortly. There is already a substantial aftermarket support for this bike.

Jamie Z 01-29-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryC
Gook luck

:eek1

LadyLisa 01-29-2009 09:41 PM

listen and learn...

tmex was spot on when he said.....At the end of the day it is always better to spend your time an energy trying to figure out how to make more money, than searching for bargains.

Brilliant quote there.... I like it... This is for me too... I tend to get thie mixed up.. I have the dough to go buy a new one...but have been scratching around and looking for the ideal deal.... I think buying a new one might just be the ticket... Good advice

dchakrab 01-29-2009 11:12 PM

Ah, yes. That's a complex decision (making more money); I chose a long time ago to build a career working for the nonprofit sector, because I'd had enough of corporate website development / internet marketing.

I could make more money, and buy a new bike, but I'm certain I'd feel (once again) like I was selling my soul. Might not be such a great bargain :)

I think I'll give it a few years...there's always that RT I'm thinking about grabbing this summer, and I have rides planned to a few far-off corners of the world. The F800 can wait a little. I'm certain it'll still be worth it.

tmex 01-30-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchakrab
I could make more money, and buy a new bike, but I'm certain I'd feel (once again) like I was selling my soul. Might not be such a great bargain :)

Depends on how you are wired. I respect people who are passionate about what they do, and expect their jobs to provide a "psychic salary". I don't require or expect my job to define who I am. I am simply trading my time for money.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:30 AM.