ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Help, F650GS vs. V-Strom (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429182)

JPSpen 01-31-2009 12:06 PM

Help, F650GS vs. V-Strom
 
I've been thinking about a V but the chance has come by me to pick up an 01 F650GS with only 8500 miles on it for a really good price.

How do the two compare ? I'm going to be doing Street/to/dirt and trail on it....
The idea of an "intro price" into dual sport is appealing to me.

I realize now I've posted this in maybe the wrong forum... If a mod'd move it it wouldn't bother me.

Thanks for your opinion.

John

Jonex 01-31-2009 12:43 PM

I have 650 Wee, and everytime I get ideas about riding it in the dirt, I go for a ride and forget all about it. Eetsa peeg.

Wanna buy it?:D Looking to get a KLX.

Night_Wolf 01-31-2009 06:50 PM

IMO the 01 F650 gs is a great bike to get your feet wet in "Adventure" riding. It's not as fast as the Wee, but has enough power to get out of it's own way and will travel two up quite well (many will disagree with that comment) Has decent fuel range (uses Premium however) and will feel considerably lighter than the Wee due to the location of the fuel tank under the seat (especially usefull off the beaten track). Spoked rims apparently are much better than cast rims offroad too. F650.com is an invaluable resource again IMO. I own a Wee but would love to eventually pick up an older F650gs especially for learning how to be a better "dirt/gravel" rider

tedder 01-31-2009 08:29 PM

This has come up a billion times. Here are some great articles to read on it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=f650+...om&btnG=google

viverrid 01-31-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPSpen
... I'm going to be doing Street/to/dirt and trail on it....

Do not get a V-Strom to ride trail.

I have a V-Strom.

I also have two other bikes for when I want to ride trail.

Not saying that nobody has ever ridden a V-Strom down a trail. The local Suzuki dealer says he loves it when I ride my V-Strom on trail, because afterwards I come in for parts.

If you don't know what you are doing, don't buy a V-Strom for trail riding. If you do know what you are doing, you already know not to buy a V-Strom for trail riding.

sherpa2 02-01-2009 12:56 PM

I've had a 650gs dakar for some years and it's worked for me for everything I've done. Taken it long haul many times, including interstate, and on plenty of dirt riding. Granted it has more suspension and a better seat than the regular 650gs. It doesn not require premium, 87 is fine. Gas mileage has been excellent, often in the mid 60s.

I'd say it's a more versatile bike than the wee, and lighter too. One thing to pay attention to is the fueling. The early ones (up to 2002, but i may be wrong) had surging problems.

Another plus is the f650.com website, a wealth of info about anything you'd need to know if you own this bike. Good luck.

tedder 02-01-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherpa2
I'd say it's a more versatile bike than the wee, and lighter too.

FSVO versatile. Would you take it cross-country with 800+ mile days and a passenger? Would your eyeballs stand up to the vibration?

Uglyprimate 02-01-2009 01:18 PM

Neither is as good as a KLR, but we all have to make compromises occasionally

Motoplaner 02-01-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
.(uses Premium however)..

Bull. The converse is true. Especially for the problematic '01. Many true fixes are available for the occasional surging/stallings, especially of the 01's. They'll putt right along doing the ton day in and out.

OU812 02-01-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uglyprimate
Neither is as good as a KLR, but we all have to make compromises occasionally

That would be my choice. If I had one.....:cry

Klay 02-01-2009 02:43 PM

The GS is a slightly better bike for gravel roads or trails. The V-Strom is a slightly better highway or two-up bike. Make your choice, Earthlings.

earthroamer 02-01-2009 08:54 PM

Ride both and decide for yourself. sheez.

Night_Wolf 02-01-2009 09:02 PM

My experience is indeed with an 01 model and at one point it did have the "surging" problem, but I believe it was eventually fixed by one of the dealers (the bike belonged to my friend Susan) According to what I remember she was told to use Premium and I'm trying to remember if i also read it in her owners manual :patch

I will agree it'll easily travel along all day at it's upper limit while fully loaded and it can even do 800 mile days and yes with a passenger (as Tedder asked). I never found it to be all that buzzy, but others are free to disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Bull. The converse is true. Especially for the problematic '01. Many true fixes are available for the occasional surging/stallings, especially of the 01's. They'll putt right along doing the ton day in and out.


gordo5 02-02-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
My experience is indeed with an 01 model and at one point it did have the "surging" problem, but I believe it was eventually fixed by one of the dealers (the bike belonged to my friend Susan) According to what I remember she was told to use Premium and I'm trying to remember if i also read it in her owners manual :patch

I will agree it'll easily travel along all day at it's upper limit while fully loaded and it can even do 800 mile days and yes with a passenger (as Tedder asked). I never found it to be all that buzzy, but others are free to disagree

I used to have one and still have the pdf service manual. Definitely premium gas, 95 RON. The surging problem was fixed with a Dobek fuel tuner sold under the name Techlusion. Smoothed the bike out some too.

I've never ridden a Wee but it would seem clear to me that the Wee, with it's 6 speed twin is the better road bike and the GS with it's lower weight and CG for trails. Having said that, the GS is still a bit of a pig on the trails and there are lighter 650's out there. It can do long highway rides fine but it ain't no Goldwing. Then again, I'd gone down a tooth on the front sprocket for trails and paid a bit of a penalty on the hwy.

I know lots of people do it, but personally I think any 650 is too big for tight trails, but fine for double track kinda stuff.

shoco 02-02-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viverrid
Do not get a V-Strom to ride trail.

I have a V-Strom.

I also have two other bikes for when I want to ride trail.

Not saying that nobody has ever ridden a V-Strom down a trail. The local Suzuki dealer says he loves it when I ride my V-Strom on trail, because afterwards I come in for parts.

If you don't know what you are doing, don't buy a V-Strom for trail riding. If you do know what you are doing, you already know not to buy a V-Strom for trail riding.

As a previous V-Owner, I couldn't have said it better.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014