ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dezert Skills to be tested (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432032)

cribaby 02-10-2009 07:39 PM

Dezert Skills to be tested - DATE CHANGED to 4-17,18,19

I have to change the date to 4-17, Same plan just 2 weeks later. I am planning to be out at Spanger Hills OHV area (Teagle Wash) April 3,4,5. It should be a great photo op weekend and a chance to explore one of socal's IMO finer and still open portions of the the high desert. There is all types of terrain and riding destinations for all levels to enjoy.

I will setup camp thursday night (probability is very late) and will be there all weekend. I can offer up a complete kitchen, ice chest with ice to chill your barley pops, a bar-bq to burn meat on, a nightly fire (to burn meat on), and a least 1 hot showers each for the girls (sorry dudes it is the desert and water is limited). You bring food, booze, and sleeping arrangements. (GPS coordinate posted later for camp spot) or if you prefer map to get lost by.

Camp will be a very close walking distance to a toilet/concrete outhouse (always clean everytime I have use it, even on busy weekends and always very well maintained (your ohv dollars a work)).

Seem like some folks here would like to improve the desert riding skills, hope to see you there.

cribaby 02-10-2009 08:47 PM

This area is the place to bring those light un-plated dirt bikes, you can easily do 100 mile loops and can even ride those green and red sticker (in season) bikes right up to the gas pumps in the town of Johannesburg.

traveltoad 02-10-2009 09:18 PM

Wow! Sounds great!

terranova 02-10-2009 09:46 PM

This will be great for us Noobs who need to drill home some skills so that they can become Second Nature! :clap I am so in for this!

JAB 02-10-2009 10:51 PM

Looks like I'm gonna have to take the "Valdez" tank off the XR.
Pencil me in. Subject to confirmation. (Hope I don't sell the KTM soon).

traveltoad 02-11-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terranova
This will be great for us Noobs who need to drill home some skills so that they can become Second Nature! :clap I am so in for this!

Not only nOObs.

Suzuki Phil 02-13-2009 01:35 PM

Are you offering to teach some skills or just base camp accomadations?

SP

NSFW 02-13-2009 02:13 PM

i'm working to get trailtrick and tahoeacr to do the training.....:deal

any good riders out there with a lot of patience...please step forward and us nOObs want you there too!...:D

cribaby 02-13-2009 02:26 PM

I am willing to lead some of the rides and offer tips and suggestions, but mostly I am planning to lead at least one ride a day that will be reasonably nOOb friendly and try to meet and enjoy everyone company. It is the desert and therefore there will always be some minor sand and hills to ride through or over to get anywhere unless you ride on the pavment. Planned rides are to the Pinnicales and back 3-4 hours depending on group, Randsburg/Cuddleback Dry Lake for lunch 5-6 hours, other suggested routes?

I have been riding the desert for years and the best advice I can give to improving your skills is to ride with other who have advance skills and go with them at every opportunity. Ask questions and just try to follow where they go. Always know your limit and when to say I can't , but don't limit yourself to the same type of riding terrain and speeds. Remember Stupid Hurts and it will screw over your riding buddies day. I will never leave anyone out there and will pickup napping bikes.

As far as camp goes, I am going to setup a camp and will have a kitchen w/stove and bar-bq, also pots and pans and gear to cook food on. (byob your own food, booze, and sleeping stuff. ie tent ,bag, girl/guy). I will also bring firewood and a knowledge of the spangler hills area.

M1Jeep 02-14-2009 01:54 PM

In!

:thumb Count me IN cribaby! That place caught my curiosity last trip to DV. I surely could use some skillz training!

trailtrick 02-14-2009 02:13 PM

I think the noobs have to paid a beer per tip to the expert's in order the get the expert's motivated :rofl

JAB 02-14-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailtrick
I think the noobs have to paid a beer per tip to the expert's in order the get the expert's motivated :rofl

If you can teach me how to turn left AND right, I will buy you a beer.

trailtrick 02-14-2009 05:53 PM

[quote=JAB]If you can teach me how to turn left AND right, I will buy you a beer.[/quote) can't do that ,but i can teach you thefallow the leader:D

NSFW 02-14-2009 07:34 PM

skill improvement day

:eek1 [quote=trailtrick]
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAB
If you can teach me how to turn left AND right, I will buy you a beer.[/quote) can't do that ,but i can teach you thefallow the leader:D

follow the dealer :eek1 ...your students will be gone after the 1st hill climb....:lol3

those who wants to ride...you guys ride and go wherever you want..:D

and those, especially nOObs, who want to be in the skill training, let's form a group. javier and tahoeacr volunteered to help us. we will have drill excercises and safety lessons. remember...this is not a ride, just drills and excercises.

post on this thread if you're IN for the skill improvement training.

:clap

traveltoad 02-14-2009 08:12 PM

I'm in for riding, skill building, eating, drinking... whatever the weekend shall bring.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.