ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Old's Cool (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Timing cam grease (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434858)

manther 02-19-2009 06:16 PM

Timing cam grease
 
My manual says to apply cam grease to the timing cam after putting in new points. Anyone know what this grease is? Gonna go try to pick it up at autozone or somewhere.

caponerd 02-19-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorboatnsob
My manual says to apply cam grease to the timing cam after putting in new points. Anyone know what this grease is? Gonna go try to pick it up at autozone or somewhere.

It's very thick grease that comes in a tube. I bought a small tube of Bosch timing cam grease many years ago, and it's still more than half full.
You should be able to get it from any good auto parts store.

manther 02-19-2009 06:42 PM

Thanks bro.

MZRider 02-20-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caponerd
It's very thick grease that comes in a tube. I bought a small tube of Bosch timing cam grease many years ago, and it's still more than half full.
You should be able to get it from any good auto parts store.

I've never found it at any local auto parts store, always had to mail order it. Pelican Parts has it: http://tinyurl.com/cdqacj
If you have a good aircooled VW parts place nearby you might have better luck.

Charlie.

manther 02-20-2009 08:58 PM

I ended up buying general purpose thick grease by Coastal. Hope it's good enough... Thanks for the link though.

dduelin 02-21-2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorboatnsob
I ended up buying general purpose thick grease by Coastal. Hope it's good enough... Thanks for the link though.

I'm sure you know but you will only need a tiny dab on the leading edge of the cam follower on the points...about the same size as the capital C in Coastal. Any more gets flung off immediately. I would think any auto parts store sells it in small amounts. It used to come with a new points set in a gel capsule. It was different from a long-fiber general purpose grease - perhaps a high temp silicone grease would be longer lasting.

The Raven 06-01-2011 04:14 PM

time to revive an old zombie thread.....I figured as I have my points can in pieces I would ask what sort of grease to use.

I'm currently leaning towards some old school 20+yr old in the metal tube clear blue brake caliper grease...thick, resistant to high temps, and lubricating. Anything wrong with this idea?

GreaseMonkey 06-01-2011 04:20 PM

As mentioned all you need is the barest trace. I must confess that before I knew any better I just used whatever grease was closest on the bench, and never had an issue that I was aware of.

If I had to guess, the cam grease always looked suspiciously like plain silicone grease but I think there are more important items to worry about.

The Raven 06-01-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey (Post 16060495)
As mentioned all you need is the barest trace. I must confess that before I knew any better I just used whatever grease was closest on the bench, and never had an issue that I was aware of.

If I had to guess, the cam grease always looked suspiciously like plain silicone grease but I think there are more important items to worry about.

I'm more wondering about inside the can on the pivot points for the weights and such.

fishkens 06-01-2011 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 25 year old tube of AC Delco Distributor Cam lubricant #U1901 that worked well for points cams.

Go here and use the drop down to select Distributor Cam Lube:
http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_vehcare_lub.htm

I'd hope this would be available at an auto parts store. Heck, not long ago every car on the planet needed this.

jwegman 06-01-2011 07:51 PM

From Capital Cycle:
Bosch Point Cam Grease $9.95

http://secure.capitalcycle.com/BOSCH...uctinfo/FT1V4/
http://secure.capitalcycle.com/images/FT1V4.gif

AND

Advance Unit grease $9.95
http://secure.capitalcycle.com/ADVAN...ctinfo/FT1V26/
http://secure.capitalcycle.com/images/FT1V26.gif

caponerd 06-01-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey (Post 16060495)
As mentioned all you need is the barest trace. I must confess that before I knew any better I just used whatever grease was closest on the bench, and never had an issue that I was aware of.

If I had to guess, the cam grease always looked suspiciously like plain silicone grease but I think there are more important items to worry about.

The Bosch grease I mentioned looks like earwax. Very thick stuff, nearly the consistency of paraffin wax.
You can probably get away with any heavy grease, but I figure if it's made by Bosch for use on points cams, it's got to be better suited to the job than any other grease.
Can't say where it can be bought nowdays. I got it from a shop that caters to VW and BMW car enthusiasts, probably about 1990 or so. It takes so little of it to do the job that the tiny tube I have should last me for at least another 20 years.

caponerd 06-01-2011 08:52 PM

My tube doesn't look like those. It looks older.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwegman (Post 16062282)


Gray_Rider 06-01-2011 10:33 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, when motorcycles had points, you would get a little sachet of grease in the packet with your new points!

Rob Farmer 06-01-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caponerd (Post 16062803)
The Bosch grease I mentioned looks like earwax. Very thick stuff, nearly the consistency of paraffin wax.

Very strange stuff to apply. Motobins Part No.95820

http://www.motobins.co.uk/library/95820.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014