ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   This ATGATT thing made me wonder... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437732)

markk53 02-28-2009 10:23 AM

This ATGATT thing made me wonder...

After the thread discussing getting a buddy to wear gear I started to wonder... :huh

What, for you, is ATG? What are you wearing when fully outfitted with what you call All The Gear?

What might you consider the least amount of gear for you when you may not go ATG? What is absolutely indispensable?

Do you find you may wear some gear mainly for reasons other than safety?

Willbilly 02-28-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markk53

Comfort and warmth.

DAKEZ 02-28-2009 11:00 AM

In the past 7 years

I have ridden to my Sisters place 3 times without the riding pants. It is always Boots, Gloves, Helmet, Jacket and Pants for me.

I ride every day. Living in the Pac-Nor-Wet, warmth and staying dry are considerations.

YetiGS 02-28-2009 11:10 AM

Generally, I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. But I will ride with just jeans sometimes (i.e. skipping the riding pants but with everything else).

Then again, sometimes, a man must ride in stretchy pants.

DAKEZ 02-28-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YetiGS
Then again, sometimes, a man must ride in stretchy pants.

:photog
I am going to use up some of the points on my Exemption Card to avoid that one. :rofl

marine dad 02-28-2009 11:57 AM

helmet, jacket, pants, boots and gloves. the only exceptions are when going to my riding buddies house to work on bikes, as he lives 1/2 mile from me.

JBSmith 02-28-2009 12:05 PM

In winter I wear a Kilimanjaro jacket and Firstgear pants, both with the liners in. Come summer I switch to a Darien jacket and Darien pants.

I wear a helmet, gloves, and ankle-high lace-up boots year-round.

ATG means just that.

Dogscout 02-28-2009 01:02 PM

Matgmott

ATG:
Jacket, Helmet, Pants, Boots and Gloves.
When out for a spirited ride where I'll push my limits on the bike or out for a ride of considerable distance (more than 100 mile) from home.

Jacket, Helmet, Gloves.
When commuting to work or going to the store.

spawn50 02-28-2009 01:26 PM

ATG for me is
Vanson leather jacket, pants, gloves
Combat touring boots
full face helmet

The only time I have not worn gear is when I ride around the parking lot after working on the bike. I wear my gear even in 100+ degree heat. I used to ride with only a jacket, helmet, gloves, boots 10 years ago when I first started riding. Once I started wearing the leather pants a year later I felt naked riding with out it. Even when I go to my martial arts class, which is five blocks away, I wear ATG.

dillon 02-28-2009 01:32 PM

all i ever wear is a helmet jacket and gloves as far as riding gear goes. But you will never see me on the bike without double knee carharts and boots...

DBrentMiller 02-28-2009 01:49 PM

Riding gear

Years ago, I decided to start buying gear. Today, I ride with full-face helmet, jacket, gloves and boots, and until just recently blue jeans. In cold weather, I ride with a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants, but only in cold weather.

I've been on a mission to find the perfect riding pants. http://www.sojournchronicles.com/200...-riding-pants/--it's in four parts.

Brent

blues 02-28-2009 02:28 PM

KLR stuff: dirt roads, back roads, Darien, Shoei Hornet, mostly wear armoured gloves but some times wear the Aerostich Goat Roper gloves even though I know they are not the hot set up. Textile pants w/ armor sometimes some old school leather pants, no armour but damn they are comfy. Boots either some over the ankle lace ups of Garne Balance which is a trials boot.

KTM stuff: trails, dirt roads, as little pavement as possible. Moto helmet w/ goggles, MS jacket w/ removable sleeves, Kilm pants ( my favorite piece of gear ), trials boots, plus all the plastic armour. Oh and cheesy off road gloves that I hope to never crash on the road sections with. Usually I bring a couple pairs.

Boon Booni 02-28-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

What, for you, is ATG? What are you wearing when fully outfitted with what you call All The Gear?

What might you consider the least amount of gear for you when you may not go ATG? What is absolutely indispensable?

Fullface helmet, either Darien, or Motoport jacket and pants, motorcycle boots, and leather gloves.

The only thing I might skip in is the pants, and if I do I won't wear anything less than Carhart duck double knee. I realize they're not much better than jeans, but I still have my first pair after 9 years of heavy use. They've been retired from motorcycle duty for about 6 months.

Gaereth 02-28-2009 03:15 PM

Full face, jacket, gloves, boots, pants.

After getting my pants I still occasionally ride in just jeans, but just from feeling the temp changes on my legs and the occasional bug or rock I feel very exposed in just jeans.

LMJ 02-28-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

After the thread discussing getting a buddy to wear gear I started to wonder... :huh

All the gear is having every part of my body get some part of street-specific riding gear reinforcing it. Gloves, jacket, overpants, boots and helmet. Air bag vest for some people, I expect.

Least amount I will ride with is helmet, gloves, and proper shoes. And I don't plan to ever do it in short pants again since I'm getting some proper ventilated hot weather overpants. Those are three parts of the body that medicine is not great at fixing. I can, but don't wish to, live with road rash and resulting scarring on an arm or leg; not so much on my hands, feet or with my skull and the brain within smashed about it all sorts of interesting ways.

Helmet keeps the wind from slamming you in the face. Gloves keep my hands from sunburning (actually managed this in just 4 hours of riding one summer day, haven't ridden without gloves since). Shifting without shoes is uncomfortable at best. Rain/cold weather gear's non-safety purposes are obvious.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:48 AM.