ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Remapping the 800GS to run on regular pump gas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438776)

tipler 03-03-2009 09:34 AM

Remapping the 800GS to run on regular pump gas

Has anyone opted to have their 800GS remapped to run on regular rather than premium? If so, what's the mileage like? I've read that there is a 2 hp loss and fuel consumption goes up a little.

1 Bored Clerk 03-03-2009 09:58 AM

Is this aimed at being able to travel to countries where premium is not available and gas is in generally poor condition? Just curious.

WoodWorks 03-03-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
Is this aimed at being able to travel to countries where premium is not available and gas is in generally poor condition? Just curious.

Yes, and you can include the U.S. among those countries. I often ride in the Great Basin area (eastern OR, northern NV, ID, UT) where most gas stations don't carry premium. There are plenty of places out here where you can ride all day and not come across a premium dispenser. So I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has done the remap. Now that I have a pretty good baseline mpg after 3000 miles on the odometer, I will be able to make a decent comparison. But I'll someone else be the guinea pig. :D

David

1 Bored Clerk 03-03-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Yes, and you can include the U.S. among those countries. I often ride in the Great Basin area (eastern OR, northern NV, ID, UT) where most gas stations don't carry premium. There are plenty of places out here where you can ride all day and not come across a premium dispenser. So I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has done the remap. Now that I have a pretty good baseline mpg after 3000 miles on the odometer, I will be able to make a decent comparison. But I'll someone else be the guinea pig. :D

David

I did notice that eastern OR doesn't always have premium to run. With electronic FI, it seems like it would be a no brainer to put two or three selectable maps on bikes just for this purpose. Good luck with the re-maps.

kktos 03-03-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

I did notice that eastern OR doesn't always have premium to run. With electronic FI, it seems like it would be a no brainer to put two or three selectable maps on bikes just for this purpose. Good luck with the re-maps.

indeed ! brilliant idea !

tmex 03-03-2009 10:40 AM

I don't think re-mapping is necessary. I've run regular in my F8 when premium was not available on several occassions, and I did not notice any ill effects - no pinging etc. I think the sensor system adjusts automatically. I don't know where this "re-mapping" idea got started. Can anyone point to a reputable source of info that claims you need to re-map?

And yes, I know the F8 does not have a knock sensor...

1 Bored Clerk 03-03-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmex
I don't think re-mapping is necessary. I've run regular in my F8 when premium was not available on several occassions, and I did not notice any ill effects - no pinging etc. I think the sensor system adjusts automatically. I don't know where this "re-mapping" idea got started. Can anyone point to a reputable source of info that claims you need to re-map?

BMW's computer may be flexible enough to compensate for the difference. I would think that high temp/high load/high altitude combinations might put you on the edge but it would only be a guess.

tmex 03-03-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

BMW's computer may be flexible enough to compensate for the difference. I would think that high temp/high load/high altitude combinations might put you on the edge but it would only be a guess.

Yes, I agree that a combination of the circumstance you describe could get marginal. Not sure I would want to remap unless I expected to be in those conditions most of the time. Probably would do it if I live in some parts of Mexico, South America, etc.

firebolter 03-03-2009 11:01 AM

Every other FI bike I own takes the fuel type into account, same on my Truck.

My Aprilia was not that sensitive to running regular, but my Truck is.

My KTM 950 has a wire you unplug to retard the advance some to compensate.

WoodWorks 03-03-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

And yes, I know the F8 does not have a knock sensor...

This, from the official BMW F800GS media guide, released back in November of 2007:

If required, the F 800 GS can also be fitted for use with normal octane fuel, which, however, reduces the peak performance by 2 HP and increases fuel consumption slightly. This modification is carried out by calling up a characteristic map in the control software, and can be cancelled again at any time.

Your dealer will (or should) be able to fill you in on the details of the operation.

David

tmex 03-03-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodWorks
This, from the official BMW F800GS media guide, released back in November of 2007:

If required, the F 800 GS can also be fitted for use with normal octane fuel, which, however, reduces the peak performance by 2 HP and increases fuel consumption slightly. This modification is carried out by calling up a characteristic map in the control software, and can be cancelled again at any time.

Your dealer will (or should) be able to fill you in on the details of the operation.

David

David, I saw that one (quote above) and the different fuel map is also mentioned in the F800GS official BMW brochures. The question I have relative to your quote above is what is meant by "If required"? To me that does not mean that if you use lower octane fuel from time to time that you must or even should have this remapping done. BMW does not state under what circumstances they recommend a remap.

As you state, I think the dealer can tell you what is invoved in the remap, but I doubt the dealer would be a reliable source of information as to whether or not it is "required". Maybe I am being too harsh here, and the dealers are more knowledgable than I am giving them credit for being.

WoodWorks 03-03-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

The question I have relative to your quote above is what is meant by "If required"? To me that does not mean that if you use lower octane fuel from time to time that you must or even should have this remapping done. BMW does not state under what circumstances they recommend a remap.

You pose a good question, tmex. I have no clue what BMW means by "if required." But I do know that I don't want to find out the hard way. :eek1

David

zaner32 03-03-2009 06:13 PM

remap

I had mine remapped before leaving the dealership. I only had a chance of putting on a little over 800 Km (500 miles) before it got too cold to ride and had to put it away.

The day before I put it away, I rode about 450 Km to the inlaws and back home and had to gas up. Speeds were around 80 to 120 KPH (50 to 70 MPH).

IIRC I put in 14.6 litres and travelled app. 330 kilometers. Which for mileage would end up being: 22.5 Km/L or 53 miles/USG.

Planning on doing a trip to northern Quebec this summer, and possibly James Bay and the North Rd next year. There would be no premium fuel around there.

Someone could carry some octane booster, but how much would you have to add for every tank?

darmahman 03-03-2009 07:48 PM

High altitude allows motors to use lower octane.

Quote:

Bucko 03-03-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmahman
High altitude allows motors to use lower octane.

But how low for an engine designed to use premium? In high altitude areas, the octane of all grades is reduced because of lower amounts of oxygen in the air. I'd surmise you can still get an engine to ping at high altitude by running too low an octane.

Note to Tmex: you can't always hear pinging and the damage may take some time to show up. Keep us posted.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:28 AM.