ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mounted a F650 windshield to my 640 Adventure tonight (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44006)

PASSMORE 06-08-2004 09:08 PM

Mounted a F650 windshield to my 640 Adventure tonight

Hi all,

Finished my installation of the BMW F650 windshield on my KTM 640 Adv tonight. I will post photos as soon as I can get them posted. I mounted it "midway" for both functionality and aesthetics that are pleasing to my eye. I made no modifications to the shield for mounting such as trimming or bending. I may trim just a hair here and there. The bottom edge is against the fairing - this may not be favorable, but I will monitor it. Also, I get ever so little of a tap on my right hand guard at full turn (my bars are a touch tweaked on that side). Everything points to a reasonable modification in both price and installation.

Michael

d0gWateR 06-08-2004 09:59 PM

MiFoPa,

would like to see the pix, considering the same mod for longer runs.

Cheers!

PASSMORE 06-16-2004 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos... In hindsight I think I would have mounted it a hair higher, but overall I am very pleased with the performance.

PASSMORE 06-16-2004 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used hex head bolts for a cleaner look - I believe they were 3/8's. For spacing I used skateboard "truks" bushings (Bones - medium density).

Mack 06-16-2004 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Might have to get me one of those. :thumb

Mack 06-16-2004 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks warm and comfy.

Velocibiker 06-17-2004 01:29 PM

Almost looks like it belongs there :D .

I'm 6'5", so the OEM screen is practically useless. I'm mostly concerned with helmet buffeting. Usually results when a taller screen is attached that isn't designed to provide a full sized air pocket.

With the OEM screen, dirty air is hitting me at about an inch or so below my collar bones.

What's been your experience so far?

twsiv 06-19-2004 08:53 PM

so do you have a report for us yet? is there buffeting.
I'd like to do that myself, although one more thing to not clean. :-)

meat popsicle 06-21-2004 02:18 PM

"hair higher" ? measurements? any whistling at cruisin' speed? how much did your conversion cost ya (parts)? Is that the stock F650 windscreen or one of these fancy aftermarket types?
http://www.f650.info/fr/details_accessoires_bulles.html

looks nice for us stilts!

rapiti 06-22-2004 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Almost looks like it belongs there :D .

I'm 6'5", so the OEM screen is practically useless. I'm mostly concerned with helmet buffeting. Usually results when a taller screen is attached that isn't designed to provide a full sized air pocket.

With the OEM screen, dirty air is hitting me at about an inch or so below my collar bones.

What's been your experience so far?

It sounds like you have a pretty good setup right now. A taller windscreen would move that turbulence upwards. I don't think we can get a tall enough windscreen to get behind, or at least I wouldn't want one that tall on my D/S bike.

I have the older, taller KTM Adventure windscreen, and at 6'3 and not so long waisted, I get buffeting. I am actually thinking about splashing a mold off my mask and trying a cut-down version, unless I find a mask off a wrecked '01-'03 to try.

You F-650 windscreen guys might want to try aluminum chainring bolts from a bike shop. Ricardo Kuhn recommended these a long time ago. :thumb Maybe a fat o-ring in between.

Cat0020 06-22-2004 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The buffering effect is mostly caused by the vaccum effect behind the windscreen. I eliminated that effect by putting some 4.5-5.0 cm of space between the Dakar windscreen and the LC4 Adv windscreen.
It might not looks the best, but it works to eliminate the vaccum effect at high speed.
By adjusting the "tilt" of the F650GS Dakar windscreen with different length washers, you can easily find a windscreen position where you might be able to get rid of your buffering problem.. you might just need to drill bigger holes on your Adv windscreen to allow flexibility for mounting points.
Make sure you have plenty of supporting members for the mounting points of the GS Dakar windscreen, it will flex your Adv windcreeen at high speed.

Here's the original thread from over a year ago when I first put the GS Dakar windscreen on my LC4 Adv
:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12728

Velocibiker 06-22-2004 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
The buffering effect is mostly caused by the vaccum effect behind the windscreen. I eliminated that effect by putting some 4.5-5.0 cm of space between the Dakar windscreen and the LC4 Adv windscreen.
It might not looks the best, but it works to eliminate the vaccum effect at high speed.

Yup. That's why sport bike screens always have a vent cut out at the base. Ya might tinker with different sized spacers to change the angle of the screen too. That can also make a huge difference.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 AM.