ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Old's Cool (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   R80 G/S, Balancing new clutch (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441759)

One Less Harley 03-11-2009 03:27 PM

R80 G/S, Balancing new clutch

When installing a new clutch, my Chilton manual says to balance it. The flywheel has a white balance mark on it, but the original hosing cover and compression plate had nothing.
Does anyone know if factory parts will come w/ balance marks on them, if not what should I do about balancing, is it that critical???

Thanks

bgoodsoil 03-11-2009 05:30 PM

I just put mine back on the way it came off. If you look on it you'll see holes drilled in different places around it--that's where it was balanced at the factory. The clutch disk--the part that wears--floats, so there's no need to take it into account during balancing.

Martian had some fancy space-age way to balance his and I think he ended up just putting it back on the way it was. Check Slope'rs 'tearing into my PD thread' for it.

One Less Harley 03-11-2009 05:54 PM

If I was going to put the old clutch in then it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm installing a new clutch and not sure if it has balance mark on it (haven't gotten it yet)

bgoodsoil 03-11-2009 06:15 PM

some engine building shops can balance flywheels. Like this:

http://www.wellsracing.com/services/.../flywheels.htm

I've read of folks on this forum taking their airhead flywheels to car shops and getting them balanced, no personal experience. With the clutch carrier the G/S has it may not be a big deal since it's so light.

so did that messed up starter end up trashing your clutch or something?

pommie john 03-11-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Less Harley
When installing a new clutch, my Chilton manual says to balance it. The flywheel has a white balance mark on it, but the original hosing cover and compression plate had nothing.
Does anyone know if factory parts will come w/ balance marks on them, if not what should I do about balancing, is it that critical???

Thanks

The white paint is the factory balancing mark. It should be on the old parts too. Maybe they need a clean up?

The white marks should be installed at 120 degrees to each other ( evenly spaced).

StephenB 03-11-2009 06:34 PM

Mine had no balance marks, came form a bike with unknown history. I remove tons of rust which left quite some pitting. Slap it together, don't waste your money on clutch balancing. I did it on none of my past and current bikes and none of them was particularly vibrant.

One Less Harley 03-11-2009 07:09 PM

What I want to know if ON NEW PARTS are there any marks for the heavy spots!!!! Not the old parts as they are being replaced.

bmwrench 03-11-2009 07:18 PM

Yes, the new parts will have balance marks.

StephenB 03-11-2009 07:22 PM

I don't know for sure whether BMW balanced the clutch as an assembly when they built the bikes and then marked all parts. But I believe they did.
When they manufactured parts like pressure and compression plates for the after market they surely balance those parts to spec and not for heavy spots. I think you can safely assume that there will be no markings on the parts as they will all conform to spec.

And then my previous post applies.

pommie john 03-11-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Less Harley
What I want to know if ON NEW PARTS are there any marks for the heavy spots!!!! Not the old parts as they are being replaced.

Yes. The white marks are the balancing marks. I don't know if they are the heaviest or lightest spot, but assemble them at 120 degress apart.
There should be a mark on the flywheel ( clutch holder), pressure plate and pressure ring.

Martian 03-12-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I just put mine back on the way it came off. If you look on it you'll see holes drilled in different places around it--that's where it was balanced at the factory. The clutch disk--the part that wears--floats, so there's no need to take it into account during balancing.

Martian had some fancy space-age way to balance his and I think he ended up just putting it back on the way it was. Check Slope'rs 'tearing into my PD thread' for it.

Actually, I, too, replaced the spring plate, pressure plate, and clutch so putting it back the way it was was not an option. I did place the balancing marks as close to 120 degrees apart as I could when I first assembled everything off the bike, but when I suspended it, the unitized parts listed to one side. Therefore, I started rearranging them until it hung level. There was some discussion as to whether or not my static balancing act would have any effect, but we'll know soon enough. The transmission is on its way back from rework and will be installed in a week or so. If the bike shakes like hell, it didn't work. If it doesn't, then my gravity powered, portable balancing machine may or may not be the reason. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Tom

JRP 03-12-2009 01:06 PM

It seems to me if you want to balance two parts that are marked at their heavy points you would want the marks to be 180 degrees apart not 120 degrees

Martian 03-12-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP
It seems to me if you want to balance two parts that are marked at their heavy points you would want the marks to be 180 degrees apart not 120 degrees

The flywheel is part of the equation as well.

Tom

pommie john 03-12-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP

Read my post. I said " There should be a mark on the flywheel ( clutch holder), pressure plate and pressure ring."

That adds up to three parts, not two. The math ain't hard.

One Less Harley 03-13-2009 02:50 PM

Just got the parts in from motobins, the Sachs clutch does have balance marks, so this shouldn't be too hard.

Looks like I'll have some work to do this weekend.

Rebuild the starter and put in a clutch.

Maybe I'll take pictures of the starter rebuild

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:51 AM.