ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Who doesn't ride b/c ATGATT too hot? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457591)

Pike Bishop 04-25-2009 11:45 AM

Who doesn't ride b/c ATGATT too hot?

It's just starting to get hot here, it's my first summer owning a bike, and I'm wondering if many riders quit riding in the heat of summer because wearing ATGATT is too damn hot...

I'd want to ride, but I'm not sure I'd want to get all bundled up in ATGATT but I'm not sure I'd want to go the t-shirt and sneakers route, either.

Any good solutions to this problem? I wonder whether you could maybe wear wet cotton clothes under ATG and get some cooling that way... :huh ... then again, it's normally like 95% humidity here so maybe that wouldn't work. :deal

squonker 04-25-2009 11:52 AM

Good question. "too hot" isn't something that applies to this part of the world, but on my trip last summer in B.C. it was near enough 40c and I just couldn't keep my jacket on. Stayed in the pants and boots and wasn't happy about wearing just a t-shirt on top but it was still uncomfortably hot, and with the jacket on might even have been dangerously so. Didn't know what else to do. Never really considered stopping for the rest of the day as an option, but perhaps I should have done.

DAKEZ 04-25-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pike Bishop
Any good solutions to this problem? I wonder whether you could maybe wear wet cotton clothes under ATG and get some cooling that way... :huh ... then again, it's normally like 95% humidity here so maybe that wouldn't work. :deal

It works great. I would forgo the cotton and use silk or polypropylene. (I wear silk)

I can not speak to its effectiveness in high humidity but I know it is amazing in 105+ in dryer climates. The shirt dries out in about an hour so it needs to be re-soaked...

70-90 I wear mesh gear. Anything above 90 I wear my Belstaff Adventure jacket with the built in Hydration pack (vents open) and use the wet shirt for air conditioned comfort.

I always ride and I am ATGATT when I do. :ricky

BCC 04-25-2009 01:04 PM

I dress for the ride and the destination. It's too hot walking around in heavy gear.

On hot days I wear motorcycle sneakers, bmw summer pants that convert into shorts, a good mesh jacket, vented gloves and a dual purpose helmet (better venting). Jacket, gloves and helmet left on the bike while I'm walking around or visiting.

Uncle Ernie 04-25-2009 02:07 PM

I always wear boots and gloves.
On tour, I wear light cover-alls to keep the sun off of me and stop every 80-100 miles to drink water. Places like the southwest will dehydrate you FAST- found that out the hard way. I don't worry much about crashing on the freeway. The main danger for me is falling asleep- so I stop often.

In the twisty-day ride kind of things, I just slow down a lot. I can't afford to have 3 different suits/jackets- whtever. That's not going to stop me from riding, though.

From my experience, most danger is in town with trafic lights and intersections.

BTW- if you have room in your helmet, bubble pack makes for great ventilation. I should sell squares of it as ACME Cool Wad or somethng for $49.95.

asphaltmueller 04-25-2009 02:12 PM

when commuting on hot days i wear at least a spine protector and summer gloves ( I wear suit in the office).
I think I should get myself a mesh jacket.
On a ride out of town it's always full gear.

B.Curvin 04-25-2009 02:30 PM

I wear one piece leathers even in 100 degree heat, and sweat (and drink water) a lot.

I don't commute on a bike because I drive a company van with large equipment

in the back. I just ride for fun on the weekends.

AzB 04-25-2009 03:15 PM

I have a set of perforated leathers for summer riding. Underneath, I wear shorts and a tshirt/ss shirt. (just happens to be what I wear to work as well) It's very comfy up to about 90. After that, I do the camelbak/wet shirt thing on long rides. Long red lights are a bitch, so I generally try to find routes without them. :wink:

It's also great because I can strip the leathers off at my destination and be in comfy. It only takes a minute or two to do the transformation and I don't even need a phone booth. Which are getting hard to find these days.

Az

dlew 04-25-2009 06:01 PM

Good question. I ride much less when it's warm. Here in NY you're going to be in traffic at some point and you don't get the benefit of the wind, just the negative effect of a hot engine.

Personally I don't like this time of the year because I do ride less and it feels naked to be riding without gear and there are other bikes everywhere. There's something nice about the winter when I'm the only one around riding.

I do own mesh stuff but it's hot in the city, too.

rwven 04-25-2009 06:14 PM

I wear armored mesh gear.

It actually is cooler than a T-Shirt and jeans. The mesh shades your skin from the sun and the mesh pants with shorts or just skivvies under are cooler than jeans. I use the TourMaster Flex jacket and pants. It's fully convertible from textile to mesh. I wear it from below freezing to over 100.

Ron

AlanCT 04-25-2009 06:27 PM

If it's really hot, I'll take the Ural. No fairing or windshield allows me to stay quite comfortable while moving. I often forego rding pants and downgrade to jeans on the Ural too, but I always have jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet.

On the Concours, I'm ATGATT no matter what, and it can be wretched - especially in traffic jams.

Boon Booni 04-25-2009 06:45 PM

Get some mesh, it makes a lot of difference.

I just got Motoport air mesh after wearing first gear mesh text for the last few years.

My Aerostitch goes in the closet once temps get above 80ish..

Cumminsman76 04-25-2009 06:47 PM

Underarmour.

hardwaregrrl 04-25-2009 10:24 PM

Uhm,, you guys should come down to atlanta if you want to talk humidity. do you know why you sweat? to cool your body off. if you wear a t-shirt, the wind wicks the sweat away which causes you to sweat more which will eventually dehydrate you and you will make a bad decision and crash. ATGATT mean what it says. I wear mesh in the summer, jacket and pants, and a gel vest underneath, and a camelbak. check out "cooling vest" on whitehorsepress.com Riding gear is meant to ride in, so you're going to be hot if you're sitting still. be smart. the day you forgo a piece of the gear is the day "it" could happen. just gotta deal with it... my 02

InsuredDisaster 04-25-2009 11:20 PM

It can get pretty hot in parts of CO. I'll often just soak my helmet liner in a cold mountain stream. The trick is to minimize sitting time or any time you might exert yourself. I've also got a camel back in my tank bag.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:56 PM.