ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Does anyone know of a good airhead mechanic near or in Miami Florida (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470408)

yabesay 06-01-2009 06:30 PM

Does anyone know of a good airhead mechanic near or in Miami Florida

Please, and do not tell me John Long's or BMW of Miami, or 441 Cycle. None of them care about old airheads.

Forever greatful!!!

baldwithglasses 06-02-2009 01:59 AM

What's going on with your bike?

I'll bet there's someone out there who will help you...

yabesay 06-02-2009 02:45 PM

replaced everything

rotor, stator, diode board, regulator...and still the sill little generator light constantly glows red when I accelerate. I can't find a short, and the battery is good. When I put a voltmeter anywhere within a foot of the bike it has this crazy electrical aura that causes the meter to fluctuate wildly. I've tried other meters as well, and they do the same thing!!! I think my bike hates me, which sux because I saved it from certain doom 5 years ago, and will never part with it.

mcma111 06-02-2009 03:17 PM

Brushes

What condition are the brushes in? Are they making good contact with the rotor? The springs bottom out on the holder and there is not enough pressure on the brushes to make good contact with the rotor.

Airhead Wrangler 06-02-2009 03:24 PM

I'd verify continuity or, even better, check resistance between all components in the charging system. Make sure all your contacts are clean and well-conducting without any resistance (except where there should be). All terminals should be bright and shiny. Pull them off to check, brush them with a brass brush and contact cleaner if necessary and put them back together with a dab of dielectric grease. It's not a crazy complicated system and there isn't THAT much there to check. I think with a multimeter, contact cleaner, maybe some parts, and a little wisdom from the old skool you can have this thing charging again yourself.

yabesay 09-29-2009 03:27 PM

everything is replaced

I even ran wires from diode board direct to battery (as per Rick of motoelektrik's reccomendation, and it still stopped charging after 10 miles. Wireing harness was checked, connections checked, bmw dealer is stumped. Could it be a short in the instrument cluster? HELP!!!!:cry

BarryT 09-29-2009 03:52 PM

I had a very wierd problem also. I checked everything that people said it could be and still my bike wood not charge. It ended up being the wire from the regulator to the back of the diode board. It was heat damaged and barely hanging on inside the plug on the regulator side. It would give good meter readings but not pass any current. It was a very strange issue. Maybe try to check that.

been saved 09-29-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabesay
Please, and do not tell me John Long's or BMW of Miami, or 441 Cycle. None of them care about old airheads.

Forever greatful!!!

Well I know a guy but he is not in Miami.

Look up Barnsley Motrwerks in google and call David.

If you look you will find a number.

He is the best I have EVER dealt with! I brought him a non running barn find and he had it running in under a week for less than the cost of parts at the dealership, and he even lubed the brake and throttle cables.

happy riding

yabesay 03-12-2010 11:24 AM

Eureka

The volt meter had a short in it, screwing up everything. Full charging system later the problem is solved. Poor but happy!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:29 AM.