ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Short Trips Non-ATGATT not a good idea. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472006)

VaderSS 06-05-2009 11:15 PM

Short Trips Non-ATGATT not a good idea.
 
From the Hurt Report;


Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen within 5 miles or 12 minutes of the trip origin.

After learning that, I'm ATGATT or in the car.

Waco 06-05-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderSS
From the Hurt Report;


Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen within 5 miles or 12 minutes of the trip origin.

After learning that, I'm ATGATT or in the car.

The good news is that most accidents also happen at 20-30 mph, if I remember correctly, so wearing racing leathers every day isn't absolutely necessary. I've hit the pavement a few times in blue jeans and walked away with minor road rash.

Jamie Z 06-06-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderSS
Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen within 5 miles or 12 minutes of the trip origin.

I'm pretty sure that describes a vast majority of motorcycle trips in general.

Not discounting the study, but it's like saying most motorcycle accidents happen when it's not raining... probably true. But that doesn't mean riding in the rain is safer, it means a vast majority of riders only go out when it's not raining.

Jamie

fiep 06-06-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I've hit the pavement a few times in blue jeans and walked away with minor road rash.

lucky you
I did a police meassured 140m slide, for non-metrics: almost 460ft
after a car decuded I was not going to pass and knocked the GS out from under me
a less than 30ft blue smear was the right side of my jeans
the best jacket available at the time and mx boots saved my hide

you will catch me in jeans very, very seldom
but I do not ride only a few miles either

fiep 06-06-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Z
I'm pretty sure that describes a vast majority of motorcycle trips in general.

Not discounting the study, but it's like saying most motorcycle accidents happen when it's not raining... probably true. But that doesn't mean riding in the rain is safer, it means a vast majority of riders only go out when it's not raining.

Jamie

that might be true
but on the other hand
most riders are less inattentive when it's raining
and just around the block people are most likely to let their guard down
with their mind already on whatever task they will face in a little while ...
got my drift?

swingset 06-06-2009 04:05 AM

Where are you more often, close to home or far away from it? Most people that ride motorcycle are not long distance riders....and even those that DO take long trips probably make more short trips and errands than they do long hauls.

There's the stupidity of this statistic.

Most people die in their homes, another earth-shattering statistic. But, based on it, I don't spend much time in the house.....see, I'm smart.

:lol3

Butters 06-06-2009 04:42 AM

Speaking of misleading . . .

When I decided to get a bike (dual sport in particular), my thinking was that I would mainly be on dirt roads and rarely on the highway. My main concern isn't injuries in general, but death or serious injuries that would effect my family.

It now seems pretty apparent to me that even with the higher speeds of the highway, the most dangerous places for motorcycles seems to be those areas where there is a combination of speed, other vehicles, and intersections/cross streets/ as well as undivided roads.

Not saying motorcyclists don't die on highways, but I would think (mile for mile) there are probably more fatalities on the higher speed city streets.

In other words, there can be lots of threats on local roads but your reduced speed lessens the chance of serious injury. On the other side, highways have the higher speeds but less external threats. But that middle area - where your speeds are higher but you still have the external threats of city traffic - Yikes.

Now, I just have to figure out how to minimize my internal threats of overconfidence and newbiness.

FrankS 06-06-2009 06:04 AM

Studies can prove or disprove anything but it wouldn’t surprise me if you are at greater risk when riding close to home. You know the area, you think you are safe, you have other things on your mind than ‘road trip’, riding itself is not the sole purpose of riding, is not you get careless. Of course YMMV but in general I’d say that’s how it is.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
ATGATT on local trips might be a good idea but really knowing what you are getting yourself into and ride with the same care and attention you do on longer trips might reduce the risk, too.

When coming back from a long trip and getting within a 200 miles from home, I slow down and increase the number of breaks, every 50 miles, then every 25 miles for the last 100 or so miles.

<o:p></o:p>
Regards

<o:p></o:p>
Frank
<o:p></o:p>

VStromTom 06-06-2009 06:23 AM

IMO only of course, dead people don't ATGATT, especially those who don't wear helmets, they just don't know it yet.

VaderSS 06-06-2009 07:04 AM

In the book, Proficient Motorcycling, Hough theorized that this statistic is due to familiarity with the roads and a lack of respect for the dangers.

"I've gone through this intersection thousands of times and noone has ever blown it..." All it takes is once.

I am just as guilty of this as anyone.

I have been doing my best to try and treat the streets of my neighborhood and towns as the dangers they truly are, but it is so easy to slip back into complacency. ATGATT helps, though by no means mitigates, the dangers of mistakes.

I wear the best gear available, but I try to ride as if I were wearing t-shirt, flip-flops, and shorts.

Statistics are good because they give you information on what happens to average people. We can easily beat the statistics, but only if we recognize them for what they are and use the information.

It is a poor general who discounts inteligence. To discount this statistic without doing something to address it, leaves you just as open to becoming a statistic as you were before.

barnyard 06-06-2009 07:14 AM

I'm moving.

Problem solved.

Tom B

BCC 06-06-2009 07:47 AM

If I'm just doing a grocery store run or really any trip of less than 10 miles or so, I don't do ATGATT anymore.

Too damn hot, too much work and I can't be bothered.

Helmet, gloves, t-shirt, long pants, sneakers and careful riding.

I'm atgatt for longer rides and anything in the dirt.

Waco 06-06-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCC
If I'm just doing a grocery store run or really any trip of less than 10 miles or so, I don't do ATGATT anymore.

Too damn hot, too much work and I can't be bothered.

Helmet, gloves, t-shirt, long pants, sneakers and careful riding.

I'm atgatt for longer rides and anything in the dirt.

Jeans are the one thing I cheat on. I don't mind putting on a well-ventilated jacket. I've seen pictures of ground ankle bones. I usually where my Sidi boots or some Red Wings that cover my ankles at the very least.

Tome 06-06-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
The good news is that most accidents also happen at 20-30 mph, if I remember correctly, so wearing racing leathers every day isn't absolutely necessary. I've hit the pavement a few times in blue jeans and walked away with minor road rash.

Easy. Go everywhere fast!
Sorry officer, I was going fast so I didn't have an accident :evil

duck 06-06-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VStromTom
IMO only of course, dead people don't ATGATT, especially those who don't wear helmets, they just don't know it yet.

Facts: You can ride ATGATT, crash and die. You can ride without a helmet, crash and live.

Obviously you're much safer with ATGATT but it's far from a panacea.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014