ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OEM BMW engine guard question (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485231)

richenry 07-14-2009 10:09 AM

OEM BMW engine guard question

I recently purchased a set of OEM BMW engine guards for my 2000 R1150GS and I'm getting conflicting info about maintenance with them installed.

A buddy of mine swears that an oil change can be performed with them installed. But I did a search and some on this site think they need to be removed to perform an oil change. If this is true then WTF were the BMW engineers thinking?

Thanks.

rtortore 07-14-2009 10:39 AM

Well, an oil change CAN be done with them installed (at least my 2000 1150GS has a access hole in the bashplate for the oil drain). However I need to remove them to remove the bottom bashplate to access the oil filter. This requires me removing the engine guard bars, and thus remove the gas tank! :cry

I hope someone out there has more information that would allow me to get around this horrid setup?! But I doubt it, so I'll continue removing the tank.

Cheers

Richard

JRP 07-14-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richenry
I recently purchased a set of OEM BMW engine guards for my 2000 R1150GS and I'm getting conflicting info about maintenance with them installed.

A buddy of mine swears that an oil change can be performed with them installed. But I did a search and some on this site think they need to be removed to perform an oil change. If this is true then WTF were the BMW engineers thinking?

Thanks.

The bars for the Adventure model have the uppers and lowers as separate pieces and come apart with set screws. You just need to remove the skid plate and 4 set screws. If you have a skid plate those are the ones you should have ordered.

rtortore 07-14-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP
The bars for the Adventure model have the uppers and lowers as separate pieces and come apart with set screws. You just need to remove the skid plate and 4 set screws. If you have a skid plate those are the ones you should have ordered.

I beleive the OP doesn't have the adventure model, just the stock GS - I'm in the same boat :pep lousy Bavarian setup .. argh ... :evil

JRP 07-14-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtortore
I beleive the OP doesn't have the adventure model, just the stock GS - I'm in the same boat :pep lousy Bavarian setup .. argh ... :evil

I'm sure that's true. There is no skid plate in the 1150 GS parts list, only the optional crash bars. The oil and filter can certainly be changed with that set up. If a skid plate is added then the Adventure bars should be used. I'm sure you could have a sleeve fabricated and cut the bars to act about the same way as the Adventure set. Touratech also makes the two piece bars which are the ones I have.

richenry 07-14-2009 11:59 AM

Actually my 2000 GS does have a skid plate and looking at photos of my crash bars installed they will certainly get in the way of changing the oil. I may drill a hole in the skid plate to access the drain plug and maybe even a larger hole for the filter.

Who knows?

On the other hand, anybody want to buy a used set of OEM engine guards?

AE-22 07-14-2009 12:06 PM

My advice would be to return or sell them. Get a set of SW-Motech bars. They have a small cross-piece underneath that has to be removed in order to get the skid plate and what not - it's pretty simple.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...z/DSC05649.jpg

rtortore 07-14-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richenry
Actually my 2000 GS does have a skid plate and looking at photos of my crash bars installed they will certainly get in the way of changing the oil. I may drill a hole in the skid plate to access the drain plug and maybe even a larger hole for the filter.

Same here - factory skid plate and crash bars.

R

Steptoe 07-14-2009 04:52 PM

Only the early BMW standard GS crash bars were one piece -the later type have the same set up as ADV bars and you can detach the lowers.

rtortore 07-15-2009 07:34 AM

Bump ...

So, what does everyone else do?? REmove the tank each and every oil filter change?

Richard

richenry 07-15-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtortore
So, what does everyone else do?? REmove the tank each and every oil filter change?

Richard

That's a ridiculous amount of work for a 20 minute oil change. I am seriously thinking about machining 2 holes in the skid plate. One for the filter and one for the drain plug. Either that or selling them.

rtortore 10-09-2009 12:34 PM

Anyone else have any solutions to this little problem?
R

lawnmowwer 10-10-2009 07:37 AM

Holy crap dude!!!:huh Glade I hit this thread I was looking at crash bars not 5 min. ago. I will have to take notes on this one.:deal :mully

Any more suggestions one a good set for an 08 1200 GS.:ear

I will sit back and watch to see what happens around this one.:hide

Kev1 10-10-2009 09:40 AM

Two words. Hepco and Becker:nod

rtortore 10-14-2009 09:36 AM

Bump?

I am thinking of drilling out a whole - then bolting a plate over it to cover. I know there won't be that much strength, and the bolts will likely seize, but I cannot keep removing the tank for an oil change!!

R

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 AM.