ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Michelin "Desert Racing" tires (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493840)

Doc.Snyder 08-07-2009 11:56 PM

Michelin "Desert Racing" tires
 
Has anybody experience with Michelin "Desert Racing" tires? On a 950?

140/80 R18

Winner of every major rally in the world, from Paris-Dakar to the Nevada Rally
Unbeatable performance in the most punishing conditions, on all types of terrain
Highly resistant to cuts, even at temperatures above 120 degrees Fahrenheit
DOT approved for highway use
This tire is part of a matching set, click to see the Desert Racing Front Tire

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...1070966490.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar_Tire_--.jpg

Seth S 08-08-2009 09:46 AM

I have used both the Michelin Desert front and rear and the Michelin Baja rear on my 950. I got almost 3000 miles out of the desert rear while riding the TAT with a loaded 950. They are good tough tires that take a beating. Last I checked they were not making them any more. I like the Baja a lot but it was a little softer and didn't last as long.

crashmaster 08-08-2009 10:05 AM

Michelin Desert rear, I can get about 1500 off road miles out of it before it starts to lose its bite. You could run it at least a couple thousand before its useless though. But if you really hammer the shit out of it, I'd give it 500 - 1000 miles. Excellent tire in the dirt and very well behaved on pavement for a knobby. Superior in every respect to the 908RR rear except for longevity. If I ride like a grandpa I can get almost 3K out of a 908, but thats the only good thing about it.

No experience with the front as I run MT-21's

bthebird 08-08-2009 10:30 AM

I've just put on a Michelin T63 on the front of my superenduro. The T63 rear I do not yet have, because my current tkc80 is still good.
The T63 rear has exactly the same thread pattern as a Michelin Desert, but has way better grip in colder climates and on wet roads, this has something to do with the softer compound. The T63 front is not the same pattern as the front Desert, and seems less agressive and therefore is more suitable to dual sporting than real offroading. But for the trails I do, this tire is great! It's somewhat like a metzeler Karoo 2 "T".
Some inmates here ride with a combo T63/Desert.

950TRANSALP 08-09-2009 12:02 PM

I want to try these too !
 
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Front and rears , great price !:deal

Doc.Snyder 08-09-2009 02:46 PM

Yep, that was the reason, why I was asking :lol3

Doc.Snyder 08-09-2009 02:50 PM

...Found another nice tire...

Pirelli Scorpion Rally

FRONT REAR
90/90 - 21 M/C 54R MST 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R MST

The Advanced compound Mixing Process ensures high resistance to fatigue and long lasting life performance for top tear and wear resistance also in long stages
Pirelli reinforced structure reduces spinning effect (-10%) and so lowers the operative temperature (-10 C) for more traction in all terrain conditions and at every temperature/speed
Best directionality of the front tire and wider working surface on the rear for maximum control in over-steering and all the power can be delivered to the ground

http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro...pion_rally.jpg
http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro..._rally_det.jpg

Seth S 08-09-2009 05:15 PM

When I got my adventure back in 05 there were very few 140/80/18 rear tire options...the Michelin deserts were about it. Now at least there are quite a few options.

crashmaster 08-09-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
...Found another nice tire...

Pirelli Scorpion Rally

FRONT REAR
90/90 - 21 M/C 54R MST 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R MST

The Advanced compound Mixing Process ensures high resistance to fatigue and long lasting life performance for top tear and wear resistance also in long stages
Pirelli reinforced structure reduces spinning effect (-10%) and so lowers the operative temperature (-10 C) for more traction in all terrain conditions and at every temperature/speed
Best directionality of the front tire and wider working surface on the rear for maximum control in over-steering and all the power can be delivered to the ground

http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro...pion_rally.jpg
http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro..._rally_det.jpg


Whoa, now thats cool. Wonder if they will market that in South America. :scratch That would be good.

ryanwilliamcantrell 08-18-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
...Found another nice tire...

Pirelli Scorpion Rally

FRONT REAR
90/90 - 21 M/C 54R MST 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R MST

The Advanced compound Mixing Process ensures high resistance to fatigue and long lasting life performance for top tear and wear resistance also in long stages
Pirelli reinforced structure reduces spinning effect (-10%) and so lowers the operative temperature (-10 C) for more traction in all terrain conditions and at every temperature/speed
Best directionality of the front tire and wider working surface on the rear for maximum control in over-steering and all the power can be delivered to the ground

http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro...pion_rally.jpg
http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro..._rally_det.jpg

Lasted 1500 miles of very easy throttle.

ryanwilliamcantrell 08-18-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Front and rears , great price !:deal

Those are next on my list.

Tried Karoo in the rear ~ got 500 miles out of it. :2cry

MH950SE 08-19-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Has anybody experience with Michelin "Desert Racing" tires? On a 950?

140/80 R18

Winner of every major rally in the world, from Paris-Dakar to the Nevada Rally
Unbeatable performance in the most punishing conditions, on all types of terrain
Highly resistant to cuts, even at temperatures above 120 degrees Fahrenheit
DOT approved for highway use
This tire is part of a matching set, click to see the Desert Racing Front Tire



I had a set on my SE but I switched them for the Metzeler Enduro Sahara III. The Deserts were great offroad, but I found them useless onroad, and particularly frightening on wet tarmac. As I also use my bike for commuting, the Sahara are much better for my heart-rate and still pretty good offroad.

bdefen 08-19-2009 07:44 AM

908
 
I'm having good luck with my Dunlop 908 RR on the rear. I have 2,300 miles of mixed road and trail riding, and still have at least 700 - 1,000 miles worth of tread left. Nice to see other, right-sized options, as well.

rotax793 12-11-2012 12:05 PM

Does anybody know the difference between "Michelin Desert" and "Michelin Desert Race"? Are the "Desert"-variant just the successor or what? :confused

Sumi 12-11-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotax793 (Post 20226479)
Does anybody know the difference between "Michelin Desert" and "Michelin Desert Race"? Are the "Desert"-variant just the successor or what? :confused

I don't know, but I would also like to know the difference! Or about somebody who has tried it on an LC8..

I've read that the Desert Race version (this would be the newer) is designed for 450 ccm bikes (current Dakar bikes).. And I've heard that the "old" Desert is not made anymore:( - which is quite a disappointment for me, as it used to be my favourite tire..


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014