ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   garmin inland lakes and waterways maps (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493874)

spidennis 08-08-2009 07:49 AM

garmin inland lakes and waterways maps

I'm looking at getting the garmin inland lakes and waterways maps .... I'll be doing a bunch of backwater canoeing and portaging in the adirondack mts of upstate ny. I was wondering just what kind of resolution these maps had. can anyone that has this go and look to see if the fulton chain of lakes up to the saranac lakes had any detail?

I'm also torn between getting the preloaded data card or getting the blank card and dvd. can the dvd be viewed on the computer?

this there better method? topos maybe? and (some of) those are free. but I'd still need to get a data card ....... I've seen 64, 128, is 512 the biggest?

btw, I got a 478 ....
and from what I understand I can't use the "vision" version of the maps.

zedx9 08-08-2009 11:52 AM

I'll be curious to see other folks input also. I have a 478, 512mb blank memory chip and have tried to download my TOPO 2008 info to the chip. It appears that the maps made it but the gps does not show the topo:(: I'm probably just not turning something on or off or whatever. Operator error. I would think you could see all of the info on the DVD on the computer because I can with TOPO 2008. I could only find 512mb on the top end of the storage scale. I too want to add inland waters so let's see what everyone else has to say.

Boon Booni 08-08-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedx9
I'll be curious to see other folks input also. I have a 478, 512mb blank memory chip and have tried to download my TOPO 2008 info to the chip. It appears that the maps made it but the gps does not show the topo:(: I'm probably just not turning something on or off or whatever. Operator error. I would think you could see all of the info on the DVD on the computer because I can with TOPO 2008. I could only find 512mb on the top end of the storage scale. I too want to add inland waters so let's see what everyone else has to say.

Here's the trick. You've got to turn off City Nav XXXX. It over rides any maps you have loaded on the unit.

From the Map Page, hit menu, go to map information, hit menu, select "hide all" scroll up to the maps you want to show scroll left so the box next to the map is highlight, and hit enter. It should show a check box. Hit quit and your maps should be showing.

Do they still make preloaded data cards for the 478? I know they make preloaded SD cards for the newer units, not so sure they make them for the 478 though.

EDIT: Oops should have check before I opened my mouth, it appears they do have preloaded cards for the 478.

zedx9 08-08-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
Here's the trick. You've got to turn off City Nav XXXX. It over rides any maps you have loaded on the unit.

From the Map Page, hit menu, go to map information, hit menu, select "hide all" scroll up to the maps you want to show scroll left so the box next to the map is highlight, and hit enter. It should show a check box. Hit quit and your maps should be showing.

Do they still make preloaded data cards for the 478? I know they make preloaded SD cards for the newer units, not so sure they make them for the 478 though.

EDIT: Oops should have check before I opened my mouth, it appears they do have preloaded cards for the 478.

Very nice:D Thanks for the info. I had been trying to figure it out and either I was missing something in Garmins instructions or they were not well writen. You filled that void, whatever. I just turned it on an it works great.

spidennis 08-09-2009 11:17 AM

Procedure to put maps on bland data card ?

What's the Procedure to put maps on bland data card ?

I finally found the ny topo files I had thought I downloaded and I'm gonna get the inland lakes and waterway DVD and want to put them on a blank data card.

Now I got to figure out how to go about doing this on my mac .....

back in march I downloaded this garmin stuff:
(while I still had hi-speed internet, now I'm on dialup)
RoadTripforMac_202.dmg
InstallGarminCommunicatorPluginforMac_264.dmg
BaseCampforMac_2007Beta.dmg
WebUpdaterForMac_205.dmg
POILoaderforMac_210.dmg

Do I have what I need here?

edit:
I clicked on the RoadTripforMac_202.dmg and it installed:
Garmin RoadTrip
Garmin MapManager
Garmin MapInstall

and ....... I was able to view the ny topo maps! cool.
and this ny topo map I got (free) seems to have enough detail for me?! me thinks!

so now I'm thinking .....
does the 478 have enough internal memory to also have these topos in it as well? or do I have to go to a high priced garmin data card?

spidennis 08-10-2009 06:49 PM

I decided not to get the inland lakes and waterways dvd or preprogrammed card and instead use the free topo download that I already had (and found again). I ordered a blank 512 data card via a ebay store and I'll attempt to install it. I don't have any directions on doing this so I'll just plug the card into the 478 and wire it to my mac and see what I can do from there.

Until I can see some detail on inland lakes and waterways I'll be happy enough with topo maps as I can already see that detail.

http://www.sandslave.com/oldforge.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:02 AM.