ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mapsource: Hide Routes, Tracks, Waypoints on Map? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501024)

Howard70 08-28-2009 11:19 PM

Mapsource: Hide Routes, Tracks, Waypoints on Map?

I suspect this is simple and apologize if it has been addressed before (I searched some but couldn't find it).

How do I turn off the display of routes, tracks, and/or waypoints on the displayed map in Garmin Mapsource?

If I have a tracks, waypoints and routes within the area currently displayed on the map, they all show and I can't figure out how to turn off the display of tracks while leaving routes visible for example. Sometimes the maps gets pretty cluttered and I may only need routes displayed.

To clarify - I'm talking about the display map in Mapsource, not the display on a GPS unit.

Thanks,

Howard Snell

9Dave 08-29-2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard70
If I have a tracks, waypoints and routes within the area currently displayed on the map, they all show and I can't figure out how to turn off the display of tracks while leaving routes visible for example. Sometimes the maps gets pretty cluttered and I may only need routes displayed.

You can right click on tracks and routes and set the color to transparent. And you can set small icons for waypoints.

You can also use multiple files for routes, etc. so you don't have so many in one file.

Howard70 08-29-2009 10:56 AM

Hello 9Dave:

Thanks for the suggestions - setting the color to transparent may be the way to go.

I understand about the files and that would work if I could have multiple files open at once, but I can't seem to do that. I may be trying to get functionality that doesn't exist from Mapsource that I'm used to in my other mapping & GIS programs! I typically use Delorme XMap, a couple of ESRI products (Arcview, etc), AllTopov7, etc. In all of those you can choose what to display on the map without actually removing items from the workspace.

Thanks again,

Howard

Howard70 08-29-2009 01:20 PM

Found Method for Waypoints

Advrider Colleagues:

I just found a means of "turning off" the display of waypoints:

1. Set up a waypoint category that you won't use for any waypoints. You could call it "No Display".

2. Choose the waypoint tab and in the "Show Waypoints In Category" box, select that category (in this example that would be "No Display". Since there are no waypoints in that category, no waypoints will show on the map (nor on the list under the waypoint tab).

3. To return to displaying your waypoints choose "All Categories" in the Show Waypoints In Category" box. They'll all reappear.

Combining this with the transparent suggestion from 9Dave works, but I'd still like a simpler means for tracks & routes than setting them to transparent.

Howard

tbirdsp 08-29-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard70
I understand about the files and that would work if I could have multiple files open at once, but I can't seem to do that.

Huh? Just open as many Mapsource windows/files at the same time as you want. This is really easy, how are you trying to do it?

Howard70 08-29-2009 09:20 PM

Tbirdsp:

I probably didn't explain what I'm after very well. Multiple Mapsource windows with different files aren't of any use to me. I'm looking for multiple files open in the same window, or - better yet, the ability to have a single file open, yet choose which tracks or routes I want to display at a particular time.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Howard

MotoJim 08-29-2009 10:16 PM

Howard,

Open two copies of MapSource.

One copy can hold your multiple routes and tracks.

In the other copy you can open up single routes/track files and just copy them to you first copy of MapSource with copy/paste => right click on your single route and track files and select copy. Then go over to your multiple window, right click and select Paste.

You end up with one file containing multiple routes/tracks.

Good luck,

Jim

Telstar_2112 08-31-2009 03:17 PM

I know what you are saying and would like the same functionality. For the tracks they have a "show on map" button but not a hide button. I do what others have suggested, setting transparent etc. but it is functionality you are looking for that is missing and Garmin should add it.

tbirdsp 08-31-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telstar_2112
I know what you are saying and would like the same functionality. For the tracks they have a "show on map" button but not a hide button. I do what others have suggested, setting transparent etc. but it is functionality you are looking for that is missing and Garmin should add it.

I've been using these Garmins a long time and never have felt the need for this function :dunno
Howard70, we might understand better if you explained exactly what type of ride you are doing with this file - although I think you have all of your answers already.

Howard70 08-31-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdsp
....you explained exactly what type of ride you are doing with this file...

Hello Tbirdsp:

I use Mapsource to manage a lot of downloaded data collected on several different GPS units for a variety of purposes. One of those purposes is recording rides, looking at the ride of others, and planning new rides. When I'm doing that I often find it useful to look at waypoints, or tracks, or the routes of others, as I plot a particular route that I might ride. Along with other situations, this is when I would find Mapsource more useful if I could quickly and easily turn on or off the display of particular tracks, routes, and waypoints - the same as I can do in the other mapping programs I routinely use (see the original post).

You're correct - so far it appears that this functonality is not available in Mapsource so I have an answer. I also use Mapsource as a preliminary tool for organizing research data from my lab (we do a lot of biological diversity survey work) and the same functionality would be helpful there.

I find Mapsource a great program for several reasons and in many cases prefer it to Delorme Xmap, AlltopoProo, ArcView, etc. But, there isn't a perfect mapping/GPS /GIS program that does everything easily!

Howard Snell

Telstar_2112 09-01-2009 11:29 AM

The newer maps are nice in that they show the dirt roads as dotted, but even with the track set to transparent you cannot tell the dotted roads from the solid roads if there is a track overlayed on top of them. This is one reason why it would be nice to just be able to toggle to hide the tracks on and off. (This is in Mapsource, on the computer).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 AM.