ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How to plug a GPS without battery? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502271)

Nanin 09-01-2009 10:02 PM

How to plug a GPS without battery?

Hi there

I'm hoping that somewhere out there is a clever electrician that will be able to give me a cheap advice.

I've got a TTR600 without baterry so, how could I plug my GPS without spend a fortune?????

Thanx in advance

Adios

slabbie 09-01-2009 10:24 PM

For short trips, go buy a small (10-14Amp hour) 12volt sealed gel battery, mount it safely to the bike and power the gps from that, then re-charge it when you get home. On longer runs, install a small solar panel on the bike, like those small pluging to the car gig plug and keep your battery charged.
If there's an alternator on the bike for lights, it might be possible to connect to that and charge the battery that way.

neilaction 09-01-2009 10:35 PM

I assume the bike has lights?

The lights may be running off an AC only winding off the stator.

If that is the case, I would get a bridge rectifier and a 12 regulator to first covert the AC into DC and then ensure that your voltage is stable.
A couple of capacitors wouldn't go astray either.
Esay and cheap. ($5, maybe 10):clap

If the lights run off DC then all you will need is a regulator.

Job done

If the GPS has its own battery then you won't need another one.
Just the above.

DMME 09-02-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilaction
I assume the bike has lights?

The lights may be running off an AC only winding off the stator.

If that is the case, I would get a bridge rectifier and a 12 regulator to first covert the AC into DC and then ensure that your voltage is stable.
A couple of capacitors wouldn't go astray either.
Esay and cheap. ($5, maybe 10):clap

If the lights run off DC then all you will need is a regulator.

Job done

If the GPS has its own battery then you won't need another one.
Just the above.

YEP, what ^ said but the capacitors ar a MUST, Vregs tend to oscillate without some. 10uF on input side 1000uf on output should cover Ya

Nanin 09-02-2009 01:45 AM

Thanx mates but all that sounds Japanese to me

neilaction 09-02-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanin
Thanx mates but all that sounds Japanese to me

mmmm If you were a bit closer I'd say, drop round and we will knock it over in under an hour. Probably got everything on hand.

But you're not and you will need a little knowledge to build a small 12v rectifier/ regulator.

Do you have access to some basic tools like a soldering iron and a multimeter?

Nanin 09-02-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilaction
mmmm If you were a bit closer I'd say, drop round and we will knock it over in under an hour. Probably got everything on hand.

But you're not and you will need a little knowledge to build a small 12v rectifier/ regulator.

Do you have access to some basic tools like a soldering iron and a multimeter?

Hummmmmmmmm Perth.............. :evil:evil:evil I'd love to ride the bike till there, but is only a dream, I've got no time

No mate I don't have the multimeter and the soldering iron, I may have to get one

Padmei 09-02-2009 02:46 AM

Does your GPS not have it's own batteries that you can change? Easiest thing is to carry a pack...

Otherwise the next easiest way unless you want to get your soldering boy scout badge is to do what a previous poster said - buy a rechargable 12v battery that you can recharge after the ride & hook up a basic 12v cigarette lighter socket to it. Your GPS should have or you'll be able to obtain a appropriate lead from the gps that fits into the ciggy lighter socket.

The probs with this tho is the weight of the battery & trying to secure it.

If all this is too much just take it round to a mechanic & they'll tell ya how much it'll cost

Nanin 09-02-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padmei
Does your GPS not have it's own batteries that you can change? Easiest thing is to carry a pack...

Yes it has got batteries but what I'm trying to avoid is carry spare batteries and as You said I don't want the extra weight of the 12v battery.

Thanx anyway

gateman 09-02-2009 03:56 AM

I will try not to sound too rude but maps are good stuff. No battery, no wires and menues and shit that gets us old men cranky and they are very light and fit down your shirt to cut out the wind and they dont tell you to turn left into swamps and stuff. They start good fires too hay. GPS cuts out too much simple adventure. They make you look down and your eyes rattle and you fall off or get lost anyway.
Sorry Im a dinosoreississ. Got to go dinner ready its quiche.

bully1 09-02-2009 04:09 AM

I have a GPS system on both my bikes but still carry a solar powered paper GPS whenever I travel, (nuthin like being able to look at the big picture)

zatigs 09-02-2009 06:04 AM

Nanin, I run a Garmin 76 CSx on my TTR, it is wired straight into the park light circuit as is the Acewell digital instrument panel. The instrument panel power supply runs through a filter to take care of spikes but the gps runs as is as I was too lazy to open the wiring loom up again to patch it into the "clean" power from the filter and it has never had an issue.

Nanin 09-02-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zatigs
Nanin, I run a Garmin 76 CSx on my TTR, it is wired straight into the park light circuit as is the Acewell digital instrument panel. The instrument panel power supply runs through a filter to take care of spikes but the gps runs as is as I was too lazy to open the wiring loom up again to patch it into the "clean" power from the filter and it has never had an issue.

Do You have any photos?

Ta

zatigs 09-03-2009 02:00 AM

Flash caused some glare but they do the job.

mt21 11-27-2012 12:47 PM

DC power ?

Hi, I need to be able to power my head-light,
which is a LED and only run's on DC power.

Does anyone know were i can take DC power from this bike TTR600 ????

Please help

Regards MT

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:25 PM.