ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tejas and the Gulf States (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Favorite Roads in Ouachita and Ozark National Forests! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528010)

EnderTheX 11-24-2009 07:55 PM

Favorite Roads in Ouachita and Ozark National Forests!

Ok guys...

I got a wild hair up my ass to get on some Arkansas camping/adventure riding trip this Thanksgiving weekend (and other weekend too of course). I am staring at Google maps and see the inviting spread of the Ouachita and Ozark National Forests. I need some of your help.

Please steer me in the right direction, post any (pics, names, ride reports, etc) of the roads you enjoyed traveling in these areas which are accessible by street legal F800GS. I love dirt and twistys but I can see the paved twistys on the maps. I am interested in the dirt roads without gates (or at least legally passable gates). Please note if you think only a trials bike can get through I may try my luck anyways lol :lol3.

Thanks for the help on short notice, I will be planning this trip over the next couple days and if I have to wing it I will wing it :1drink

-Ender

DirtyDog 11-24-2009 08:08 PM

Ouchita is closer to DFW and worth the trip. Everyone raves about Talimena Drive and nearby dirt roads. Doubt you'd regret it.

wswartzwel 11-24-2009 08:49 PM

Anything between highway 7 and 9 will be doable on the 800. Right now most of the Forest service gates are wide open due to deer season...

I like the area north of lake Winona better than south of the lake.

Have fun. Lake sylvia has a nice camping area...

Another area that is nice to ride is around Mount Magazine... Cove lake campground is really pretty, and not very busy this time of year.

BTW nice ride report... I see you like to ride solo in remote areas... You should be able to find plenty of that in the Quachitas..

a1fa 11-24-2009 09:00 PM

I ain't telling :P

EnderTheX 11-24-2009 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys!!! keep it coming. I consider AR my backyard to Texas and I want to get to know it well. All insider info is welcome. Thanks for the PM ws, and for the comments, I will be drooling over the maps for the next couple days until I start heading out there!

Cough it up a1fa you know you want to share :)

photojojo 11-25-2009 05:18 AM

email sent

Zecatfish 11-25-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1fa
I ain't telling :P

you ain't telling cause you don't know any. :lol3

Theres a very similar thread in Lay'n Down Tracks Central.
you can find a track I posted there. You will also find the Fall Color Color tour route.

I'm riding Friday afaik right now. If your in the Ozarks Friday I'll ride with ya.

EnderTheX 11-25-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Theres a very similar thread in Lay'n Down Tracks Central.
you can find a track I posted there. You will also find the Fall Color Color tour route.

Oooo good tip! I am going to really enjoy this weekend! I am slightly surprised at how secretive you guys can be about your favorite roads lol but I promise I won't tear em up too bad :lol3

DirtyDog 11-25-2009 07:06 AM

Just don't go through any gates.

:hide

wswartzwel 11-25-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Oooo good tip! I am going to really enjoy this weekend! I am slightly surprised at how secretive you guys can be about your favorite roads lol but I promise I won't tear em up too bad :lol3

Be advised that MANY of Zecatfishes routes are dead ends at the bottom of a ravine where you will never be heard from again... :)

Zecatfish 11-25-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Be advised that MANY of Zecatfishes routes are dead ends at the bottom of a ravine where you will never be heard from again... :)

Deliverance!

Over at Liberty Springs you might even hear Banjo's.

I can send down a certain road north of Clinton that makes you think your riding off the edge of the World.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516609
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469729
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450606

EnderTheX 11-25-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

I can send down a certain road north of Clinton that makes you think your riding off the edge of the World.

Sounds trippy! Trust me, I will enjoy the dead ends as much as the trails as long as I have enough gas to get back! Riding the trails backwards usually seems like a brand new trail to me :lol3

Zecatfish 11-25-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Sounds trippy! Trust me, I will enjoy the dead ends as much as the trails as long as I have enough gas to get back! Riding the trails backwards usually seems like a brand new trail to me :lol3

your 800 would not be happy with some of the trails at Brock Creek, you'd be asking AAA Towing to send in a Chopper for an airlift out. :deal But you have to remember those trails was laid out be RVDR's that race AHSCS (Hare scrambles) around the state.

When you coming up?
you want a central Campground for a base camp or are you going to just just setup where ever the mood strikes?

There is a nice Camp ground on the Big Piney, called Long Pool just outside off Hwy 7 and Hwy 164 north of Russellville.

Dragon43 11-25-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

::: snippy :::

There is a nice Camp ground on the Big Piney, called Long Pool just outside off Hwy 7 and Hwy 164 north of Russellville.

Looked round on Google Earth, neat area and close nuff to me. Thanks for INFO.

TRZ Charlie 11-25-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wswartzwel

With Doc and goats waiting at the bottom!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:12 AM.