ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   What are your favorite Droid Apps? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543992)

Mr. Fisherman 01-23-2010 07:39 AM

What are your favorite Droid Apps?

There are thousands upon thousand of apps out there... a friend of mine even found one to measure sound pressure, amazing and it was FREE!

Lets share our favorites.

Top of my list so far:

Pandora... I put in one favorite band and haven't heard a song I wanted to skip yet, amazing.

Spark, a lightning orb like toy that vibrates when it goes off. I set it in ghost mode and waited for my son to check out my phone... almost cost me a screen :lol3 Glad I got the insurance.

Dolphin web browser, surf ADVrider and even post. Use a pinck like function to zoom in an dout the screen so my fat fingers mostly hit the right buttons for links. Good app and FREE.

Barcode Scanner... amazing. Scan items and know the cost, where to get it local and online and even get reviews.

Google Goggles. Jaw dropping wow factor. Visual search with your camera. Check out what it can do downtown... point it at a business and get their info. Almost scary but cool.

Google Sky Map, celestial charts and a tutor to find and identify the heavens. How does it do that? Dig it.

TV.com (CBS) streaming TV on your phone...

Android Lightsaber... stupid fun...

Droid Light... Flashlight app using the bright LED. Cool.

Radar Now, weather app that shows radar images of your area. Fast and clean.

I have only had this thing a few hours... I even figured out how to make and hang up on a phone call using my GPS teathered bluetooth, with the speakerphone and with the handset. Not bad.

PunkinHead 01-23-2010 11:04 AM

CraigsNotifica - Monitors craigslist for keywords in multiple regions.
Touchdown - for handling my work Exchange mail, contacts, & calendar. The built-in Android app doesn't work for me. It's a pay app, but with a 5 day trial
Key Ring - use the camera to take pictures of your store discount cards. The cashier can then scan your phone screen and you don't have to carry the cards
Mototorch - turns the camera flash into a flashlight. Can also strobe if you want to send someone into an epileptic seizure

Widgets I like:
gTasks - task list that can sync with Google tasks
Battery Widget - shows % charge
CalWidget - calendar widget, syncs with Google and/or work calendars

pirahna 01-23-2010 11:27 AM

ChompSMS - Better layout than the standard SMS program
Cherry Rplayer - Streaming music player
StreamFurious - another streaming music player
Currency Converter
Nimbuzz - IM program

wxwax 01-23-2010 04:14 PM

As far as i'm concerned, BarCode Scanner is junk. Needs perfect light and a completely steady hand and even then it takes forever. Not satisfied, as you can tell.

Apps I use the most:
* The Weather Channel
* RadarNow
* Solitaire
* NubiNews
* APNews
* Flixster (local movie times)
* Enjoy Daily Sudoku
* Artful Bits Minesweeper
* Sports Tap
* Cardio Trainer
* Pandora
* gTasks

Fun apps I rarely use:
* Bubble (a level)
* WordUp
* ThrottleCopter
* Google Sky
* Compass
* BarCode Scanner
* Cribbage pro
* MotoTorch LED (uses the camera flash LED's as a flashlight or a strobe.)
* Wave Secure (lock and track your stolen phone remotely. Not sure about this one, it won a Google-sponsored contest but their website is very unresponsive.)
* Shazam
* Stopwatch
* USA Today
* Voice Recorder
* oiSafe (a place to stash all your passwords)

potatoho 01-23-2010 05:33 PM

IP Cam View - Monitor your household cameras.
RealCalc
Google Finance - app + widget
ConnectBot - ssh etc
Wifi Analyzer - I live the way it displays channels
Newspapers - Awesome app. There must be 50 mobile papers in there.
Not Call Log - Set the return screen after calls.
DroidLive - Radio, I haven't played alot with it, but it has some talk radio.
Note Me
Agenda Widget

tslewisz 01-24-2010 06:52 PM

FartDroid will amuse a little kid and annoy a girlfriend. WIN! :D

Mr. Fisherman 01-27-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinHead

can't find this one.... darn...

nwgs 01-27-2010 09:39 AM

Got me a droid yesterdee fishy....:thumb

Mr. Fisherman 01-27-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwgs
Got me a droid yesterdee fishy....:thumb

They are getting popular...
I am digging mine.

I am not thrilled about the docking station or the car mount... and could the charger cord be any shorter? Sheesh....

NDEBT 01-27-2010 01:44 PM

Not an app but if you use Pandora these things are great. When I got my Droid I got a free bluetooth ear thingy or the windshield mount. I tried the mount but took it back the next day and traded up for these.

They work great for working out driving or surfing ADV Rider. If you get a call you just hit a button on the side and then talk hands free,hit it again and it hangs up and youre listening to music again and they sound great.

I'm listening to Flogging Molly right now:trp .

Motorolla Motorokr s9.
http://devicearena.com/wp-content/beckham_rokr_s9.jpg

PunkinHead 01-27-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
Quote:

can't find this one.... darn...

Try searching for 'craigslist' in the Market.

Mr. Fisherman 01-27-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Try searching for 'craigslist' in the Market.

This could get expensive :lol3

I wonder why it didn't find it when I searched for craig? I am sure it will get better...

Mr. Fisherman 01-27-2010 11:22 PM

Lightning bug
I have a hard time sleeping sometimes (ok, a lot) and this app help as advertised. Several scenes each with different background sounds than can be controlled. I like the beach sceen. Like sleeping at the coast with waves lapping up on the beach.

If you have a docking station (multimedia station) get Docklauncher. Lets you use your apps with the station instead of the hard coded apps. I use it for Pandora so I can listen to streaming music and so I can use Lightning Bug when I go to sleep.

NDEBT 01-29-2010 07:53 AM

[quote=Mr. Fisherman]Lightning bug
I have a hard time sleeping sometimes (ok, a lot) and this app help as advertised. Several scenes each with different background sounds than can be controlled. I like the beach sceen. Like sleeping at the coast with waves lapping up on the beach.

I was showing this to my Son (3 1/2) in bed last nite and told him it was supposed to make you sleepy. We put it on the NYC skyline one and he looked at me like WTF.

We live in the country so when we hear a siren that means there is a fire somewhere close and everyone around goes out to help and to make sure it's not on there land :lol3 .

potatoho 01-30-2010 01:17 AM

Google Listen - podcast kinda stuff.

Weather forecast from yr.no - a nice set of widgets including a 4x1 7 day. You might appreciate it if you find fault with the stock widget as I do.

Smartass - awesome shopping list app.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:40 PM.