ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Beware: Rick Mayer Cycle (www.DontBuyRickMayerCycle.com) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066)

fish 01-07-2003 08:14 PM

Beware: Rick Mayer Cycle (www.DontBuyRickMayerCycle.com)

caveat emptor: let the buyer beware.

Following is my experience with Rick Mayer Cycle, maker of custom motorcycle saddles. Draw your own conclusions and buy from him only after knowing the potential outcome.

The story is quite long and involved, but I'll try to give the major points here:
  • Purchased a seat from RMC last year and it was uncomfortable, so I arranged a ride-in visit some 300 miles from home to have it "adjusted". The adjustment failed.
  • I requested a refund by email, but got no response. Emailed a second time, again no response. So I decided to give up on RMC and order a Russell saddle.
  • I sent the RMC saddle to Russell when my production date arrived. The day the seat got to Russell, they called me and told me that both the front and rear seatpan were cracked and useless. It turns out that in Rick Mayer's haste or desire to save money, he didn't make a new cover to match the adjustment and ended up stapling over the same area the stock staples and his first staples were. Russell was right, both seatpans were cracked and coming apart all along the rear perimeters, about 1/2" from the lip.
  • So I scrounged around and ended up buying a second seat of seats...one from the dealer and one off the net, and sent those to Russell for the custom seat. I took the RMC seats and threw them out in the sideyard on top of the green waste cans.
  • For the next four months, emails went back and forth between Rick Mayer and me. After initially pushing back several times, he finally agreed to a refund. I sent him the front seat (the rear had been totally destroyed, so I threw it in the garbage).
  • Finally...FINALLY yesterday I get a refund check after months of promises. The check was for $200...half my purchase price. His response in email was that he gave me half because I didn't send him both seats.

RMC's guarantee is stated on his website:

Guarantee:
Simple. Unconditional,
Unlimited, and no fine print.
If I don't make you more comfortable...
I will buy it back!

But in reality, there is fine print on another webpage on his site:

If a refund is requested after the customer has waited 30 days or longer to bring a problem to my attention, I will charge $2.00/day for the rental of my saddle beginning the 31rst day. Exceptions will be made at my discretion for weather/winter deliveries.

While his saddle may work perfectly well for you, be aware that he drags his feet when a refund is requested, and may only pay you $0.50 on the dollar. I recommend you check out the numerous other custom saddle makers before giving business to RMC.

Just my opinion...YMMV...caveat emptor.

Steve Glenn 01-07-2003 09:32 PM

Hi Fish, how do you like the springs of the Russell, thinking of ordering one for the Adventure. Did you order by mail or ride up for a fit.

Regards Steve

fish 01-07-2003 09:43 PM

Quote:

Said Steve Glenn:
Hi Fish, how do you like the springs of the Russell, thinking of ordering one for the Adventure. Did you order by mail or ride up for a fit.

Regards Steve
Steve, I've owned five Russells, and all but one worked extremely well. I ordered by mail, but a couple of them required adjustments. I recommend riding-in, if you can swing it.

RockyRaccoon 01-08-2003 02:03 PM

Too bad, fish. I wasn't completely thrilled with my encounter with Rick, either.

1) I paid for a rain cover when I ordered the seat. It was advertised on his site as costing an extra few bucks, so I sent the money and never received the cover ... even when I asked him about it a couple of times. Eventually I just gave up.

2) The saddles weren't aesthetically perfect. There was some slightly crooked stitching, the piece of leather used for the front seat had some blemishes and the leather seat cover wasn't mounted on the pan perfectly straight, that is, the seams didn't line up with the corners/edges in some places. He responded to my enquiry that this is just the way top-grain cowhide and handcrafted work is. For the price, I expected more.

3) Ergonomically the seats aren't ideal. They made both my wife and I slide forward. Both seats are more comfortable than stock, but my wife has to continually hike herself up and back on the seat. Rick offered to fix this if I would ride to his shop several hours away, which didn't have a chance to do. My seat has broken in well enough that I find it comfortable and haven't been motivated to make the drive.

Lone Rider 01-08-2003 08:04 PM

I did the 'ride-in' w/Russell and think a lot of those guys...and even of babe on the front desk too...

Kbmw94 01-08-2003 08:05 PM

Fish, you ain't alone

I was taken in by the guarantee also. How could I go wrong. The seat was promised to be as good as a Russell and cheaper or my money back. An absolute no hassle promise. I cancelled my Russell order and started my descent into RMS hell. Once I declared the seat totally unsuitable (and it was truly awful) I was relegated to "ignore" status. I was phone blocked, E-mails ignored and pretty much the same experience as Fish. But then the rally season was upon us and the opportunity to see Rick in person made it possible to attempt a resolution. He declared the seat to be improperly built and he wanted to "adjust" it. Well, he did the original measurements, took pictures and built a piece of crap. I didn't want an adjustment, I wanted my money back. I was accused of everything from being a drunk to a person who had some kind of need to defame Rick. It was a full on attack. What a guy. I have since replaced the seat with, drum roll please, a Bill Mayer Saddle. And yes I am happy with this build. I was pleased to meet Bill long after this ordeal started. I wish I had met him first.

johnjen 01-08-2003 09:43 PM

Rich's

It's to bad you guys didn't go to Rich's custom seats up here in Seattle... Every seat is a masterpiece and I've never heard of ANY complaints. He even re-made a seat for a guy that wanted it to look good, but not fit well (the exact opposite of what he is all about) for FREE... A true artisan and craftsman and fun guy to hang with while your seat is being created....

JJ

fish 01-08-2003 09:47 PM

Funnily, I called him from a diner on WA2, during the choopalooza and got his answering machine. poor planning on my part. next time.

Chopperman 01-08-2003 09:51 PM

Quote:

Said fish:
Funnily, I called him from a diner on WA2, during the choopalooza and got his answering machine. poor planning on my part. next time.
Well next time we do a shindig like that maybe we ought to hit his shop and see what the skinny is.

Chopperman 01-08-2003 09:54 PM

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/motoguzziphotos.html

that is Jon. Friend of mine. He digs his Bill Mayer seat made by Rocky. I guess the deal is go see Rocky, not Rick.

fish 01-08-2003 10:04 PM

Quote:

Said Chopperman:
Well next time we do a shindig like that maybe we ought to hit his shop and see what the skinny is.
I was gonna call you from the road and see if we could do that, but I knew you had your hands full with the honeybucket, and frankly, we didn't get around to it until we were in yer backyard :):

Chopperman 01-08-2003 10:05 PM

Quote:

Said fish:
I was gonna call you from the road and see if we could do that, but I knew you had your hands full with the honeybucket, and frankly, we didn't get around to it until we were in yer backyard :):
And once you was in the backyard..it was beer time.

Marc 01-08-2003 11:29 PM

Re: Rich's

Quote:

Said johnjen:
It's to bad you guys didn't go to Rich's custom seats up here in Seattle... Every seat is a masterpiece and I've never heard of ANY complaints. He even re-made a seat for a guy that wanted it to look good, but not fit well (the exact opposite of what he is all about) for FREE... A true artisan and craftsman and fun guy to hang with while your seat is being created....

JJ
Another Rich story. I've got a Russell and I love it. The only thing I wish I could get with it is a heated insert (like the Corbin and Rich's have...yeah yeah, I'm a wuss). Unfortunately, when I asked the good folk at Russell (before I bought my saddle), they told me that they'd had some requests for this, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to do it. The other day, I came out of work and sat on my freezing-ass cold Russell saddle and started thinking..."I wonder if Rich could do something?"

I called and spoke to Rich (in person) and found out that they would modify my Russell to add a heating pad, and could re-cover the Russell in any material I wanted! Of course, purple suede was the first thing that came to mind. :nono The cost was (I think) $175. That's what I call service. I've seen their products on several friends bikes and was really impressed. The fit and finish seem to be top-notch.

Add Rich's to the list of MPM approved vendors. :thumb

Marc

fish 01-08-2003 11:37 PM

Quote:

Said Chopperman:
And once you was in the backyard..it was beer time.
:nod

moto-man 01-09-2003 11:11 AM

Rick Mayer

I had ordered a saddle rain cover, for one of my previous bikes with a leather saddle, from RMS after seeing his web site and the rain covers advertised for his custom saddles. Well, long story short, 3 months later my CC company had to credit me after I never received the goods as promised many, many times (in fact he at one point claimed it had shipped... ) Fortunately, I paid with a CC and had them involved early enough in the process to document the situation as it unfolded. Apparently they could get nowhere with RMS either. Also, he billed my CC immediately when I placed the order, not when the product was supposedly shipped. Caveat Emptor.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:03 PM.