ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What's The Market Price For Decent Used Airhead Rotors? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549247)

mark1305 02-09-2010 12:51 PM

What's The Market Price For Decent Used Airhead Rotors?

.... these days?

I'm starting to look around for a few critical spares for longer trips. From what I've been reading, I should keep a spare rotor and a spare ICU on hand. And a spare GEN light bulb, just in case.

The last two items I can get new from an auto parts store reasonably. But I have no idea what the going price for a good rotor should be.

hardwaregrrl 02-09-2010 01:05 PM

'bout 90 bucks for remanufactured unit and 125 for new
http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm

Wirespokes 02-09-2010 01:15 PM

Used ones tend to go for $25 to $40.

mark1305 02-09-2010 01:20 PM

Thanks all. I had forgotten to check at Rick's.

Rucksta 02-09-2010 11:18 PM

It maybe good to have a diode block as well then you've got the electrical system covered.

jtwind 02-10-2010 07:05 AM

I carry a spare rotor on most longer trips. It's always been one of Ricks new ones. I have yet to use it on my bike but have given it to 4 folks since I started to do it. Just told them to buy a new one from Ricks and sent it to me to replace it. I usually carry a regulator and a ignition module as well.

bpeckm 02-10-2010 10:27 AM

.......uuuuhhh

I got to post #4 wondering why anybody would carry a spare brake rotor...

:knary

where's my coffee, anyway.....

charliemik 02-10-2010 03:42 PM

^^^^^

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Good one. I know what you mean about the coffee.

Anyway, I always carry a spare rotor and a spare diode board. I've had to use the rotor once and then a friend needed it once. I bought a new one from Rick and put it in the bike just cuz. The original one is my backup.

Oh yeah, don't forget the tool to get the rotor out.

mark1305 02-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpeckm
.......uuuuhhh

I got to post #4 wondering why anybody would carry a spare brake rotor...

:knary

.... snip .....

Well Bob, you know me and how I am about these things. :D

ChromeSux 02-10-2010 07:07 PM

Bob
it has been a long winter,your slipping, just 5 months ago you loaned me a rotor.:lol3

squish 02-10-2010 11:05 PM

it says a lot about BMW charging system that when you ask for the price of used rotors everyone's talking about charging system rotors and not brake rotors...

StephenB 02-11-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwind
I carry a spare rotor on most longer trips. It's always been one of Ricks new ones. I have yet to use it on my bike but have given it to 4 folks since I started to do it. Just told them to buy a new one from Ricks and sent it to me to replace it. I usually carry a regulator and a ignition module as well.

+1. I have two complete charging systems (stator, rotor, diodeboard, voltage regulator) that I use alternatively season per season. That way I always know that the spare one is a good one and hasn't gone bad.

Grider Pirate 02-11-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squish
it says a lot about BMW charging system that when you ask for the price of used rotors everyone's talking about charging system rotors and not brake rotors...

Damn right. I actually had to replace the brushes on my '73, with only 123,000 miles on it!

charliemik 02-11-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1305
.... these days?

I'm starting to look around for a few critical spares for longer trips. From what I've been reading, I should keep a spare rotor and a spare ICU on hand. And a spare GEN light bulb, just in case.

The last two items I can get new from an auto parts store reasonably. But I have no idea what the going price for a good rotor should be.

BTW, I don't think you can get the GEN light bulb from an auto parts store. Somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the GEN bulb is of a very specific resistance in order to make the charging system work properly and you need to get the BMW part.

C Squared 02-12-2010 08:25 AM

Should I have any concerns if I have upgraded to the full Moto-Elec system?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:30 PM.