ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Garmin 478 and aquiring satellites (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570267)

kjclark7 04-16-2010 08:12 PM

Garmin 478 and aquiring satellites

i just purchased a refurbished garmin 478 from an ebay store a couple weeks ago. just wondering if it taking 5 to 7 minutes to aquire satellites each time i turn the gps on is normal??? i think i read somewhere in the manual that it may take longer to aquire satellites if you haven't turned the gps on in a while. but when i ride to work in at 630am and then turn the gps on at 5pm, it doesn't save the time (would say its like 11am or 12pm) and takes over 5 minutes to aquire. that to me is not a long time...weeks or maybe months i would understand but not being able to in the same day???
i know when my father in law turns his zumo 550 on, it immediately gets a signal/aquires satellites.
is this right?

9Dave 04-17-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjclark7
is this right?

No.

I'd be checking with the folks who sold it to you. Doesn't sound like a Garmin Refurb. If it was, the internal battery which powers the memory would be fresh and holding the time and setup info.

And I would read this thread
Lost or confused, before you ask another dumb question, click here:deal

kjclark7 04-17-2010 11:53 AM

it was sold to me by gps4us as a refurbished unit with a garmin 1 year warranty. i'm going to give them a call then a call to garmin. my guess is they never changed the internal battery.

kahoon 04-18-2010 04:22 AM

you should have a 1yr warranty on your GPS, i picked one of those 478's from GPS4us as well. i called garmin to ask about warranty, and they said as long as you have the ebay receipt and that it shows it was a "Buy it now" auction, you should be good.

i've also read elsewhere that plugging in the GPS overnight might cure the problem. if you take many short trips where the internal battery doesn't have enough time to recharge may cause that problem....

let us know the outcome of your dealings with Garmin.

kjclark7 04-18-2010 06:02 AM

i just drained the battery down last night and i just hooked it up to the charger. i'm assuming it will take a few hours to fully charge up.
anyone know if the internal battery comes charged from factory? or for refurb units? i know that the main battery that came with the unit was fully charged when i got it.

kjclark7 04-19-2010 06:55 AM

after i charged up the 478, i turned it on and left it outside for about an hour. it seemed to pick the satellites up quick but i wanted to see if it kept the time. at 4pm, i turned the unit off and this morning when i turned it back on (6am), the clock read 10:30 pm. so it seems that the internal clock can only keep the time for about 6 hours or so. i'm going to check and see what time the clock reads when i go back out to the bike later.
now i'm just waiting for the receipt from the ebay seller so i can contact garmin.

9Dave 04-20-2010 03:17 AM

Internal clock battery is not a rechargeable battery afaik. But whatever, they fail over time.

I'd bet .02 that it needs replaced. Until you do so, you will have to reacquire each time.

Drif10 04-20-2010 04:36 AM

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ternal+battery

BurnieM 04-20-2010 05:50 AM

Most of the GPSmap 276C are now experiencing this problem. It was supposed to be fixed in later models.

As others have said the internal battery that powers the clock is faulty. Get it replaced under warranty.
Most likely the GPS will be replaced (not repaired).
Make sure unlock codes for any map products you have purchased are transferred to the new unit. Only Garmin can do this.

kjclark7 04-20-2010 09:23 AM

i got the receipt from gps4us and sent it to garmin. they are going to get back to me with the rma # and i'll send the unit out to them. they said they will just replace the unit with another one, not try and fix the one i have.

Bayner 04-20-2010 10:09 PM

Can one of you guys with a good internal battery tell me how long your clock etc will hold time? I noticed mine is only good for a day to a day and a half now. Maybe I just never noticed until reading these threads, I really don't know. So, what's normal?

BurnieM 04-21-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayner
Can one of you guys with a good internal battery tell me how long your clock etc will hold time? I noticed mine is only good for a day to a day and a half now. Maybe I just never noticed until reading these threads, I really don't know. So, what's normal?

When my GPSmap 276C was good I once left it for 6 weeks and it was within a second when powered up.
Had to recharge the battery as that was flat but the clock was fine

kjclark7 04-21-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayner

you beat me to my next question because i was wondering the same thing. i'll be sending the 478 out on friday and garmin said they are going to send me a new unit. i just hope this new refurb unit has a new internal battery!!! not like this last one.

kjclark7 05-04-2010 05:54 PM

well i just got back my new newly overhauled 478. that was a pretty fast turn around time if you ask me. so right now i have the unit charging so we'll see if this one works like it is supposed to.
the repair sheet says that the unit passed all testing and is within operational limits. so i guess i'll have to wait and see if everything works ok.
i just registered the unit through garmin and it says that i have City Navigator North America NT 2010.10, Deluxe All Regions, Apr 09 but it also says that there is a free map update available. i thought that the city nav na nt 2010.10 was the most updated map?

Steve W 05-04-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjclark7
i thought that the city nav na nt 2010.10 was the most updated map?

Garmin have jumped to 2011.1, the latest mapset.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:59 PM.