ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   2 smokers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Newly Restored 1973 Yamaha CT3 175 ring-ding (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572962)

scotty_rides 04-25-2010 12:08 AM

Newly Restored 1973 Yamaha CT3 175 ring-ding
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0NKukoLllc
Spring has arrived and there is the sweet sound of ringa-ding-ding in the air.
Enjoy the trip back in time.

This was a winter restoration project of a CT3 that sat in my father-in-law's barn for the past 20 years. I had never heard it run myself until yesterday. The pay-off is sweet.

To see the entire restoration in photos, see this link:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...duro-project/0

Scotty_rides
Romans 5:8

eyedragaknee 04-25-2010 08:26 AM

Nice little bikes when finished. Congrats
 
Here is mine about done too.

eyedragaknee 04-25-2010 08:28 AM

Other side
 
I didn't keep it "stock" obviously.

Lots of little "tweaks" that I am sure you would appreciate.

scotty_rides 04-25-2010 08:40 AM

Wow! That is probably the best looking CT3 anywhere. Congratulations on a job very well done.:clap

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
I didn't keep it "stock" obviously.

Lots of little "tweaks" that I am sure you would appreciate.


MightyChosen1 04-25-2010 08:42 AM

Great job on both bikes guys. I love the sound of a two stroke , I like to go out and fire up my old KT-250 once in a while to remind me of the good ol days of motocross. Plus the neighbors dog that likes to bark for 3 hours straight goes right into his dog-house and keeps quiet the rest of the day.


I have to get me a vintage Yamaha enduro, Something pre-76 would be cool.

eyedragaknee 04-25-2010 10:26 AM

Ct3
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty_rides
Wow! That is probably the best looking CT3 anywhere. Congratulations on a job very well done.:clap

Thanks

Yours is cool. I really like seeing these old bikes coming back from the trash piles. They make you laugh when you finally go down the road on them. Not many new cookie cutter bikes do that for me anymore.

Mine started out like this

scotty_rides 04-25-2010 05:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDu2TfZ770

One more video of the Fresh 1973 CT3 CT175. For your listening pleasure.

scotty_rides 04-26-2010 05:45 PM

First day commuting on the 175:

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...ate10/4162.jpg
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...ate10/4164.jpg

scotty_rides 04-28-2010 04:52 AM

Three generations:
1973, 2004, 2006

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...ate10/4166.jpg

scotty_rides 05-19-2010 07:02 PM

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...11/p_00519.jpg
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...11/p_00520.jpg

Trailing Jack 05-20-2010 12:36 AM

Very nice!!
I had a '71.

I've been asking this question (for my buddy) in all these Yamaha CT restoration threads.
Where do you find tires for these bikes?
He's got a CT2 that he's working on but is having trouble finding tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Really cool that you put your bike on Youtube for us all to hear! :clap

scotty_rides 05-26-2010 06:37 PM

I could not find the original front tire size (2.75x18) so both tires are now the same as the original rear size 3.25x18. I bought trials tires from bikebandit. They say Golden Boy on the side. They are Shinko SR241's from BikeBandit. They look correct and are working fine so far.
-Scott


Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Very nice!!
I had a '71.

I've been asking this question (for my buddy) in all these Yamaha CT restoration threads.
Where do you find tires for these bikes?
He's got a CT2 that he's working on but is having trouble finding tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Really cool that you put your bike on Youtube for us all to hear! :clap


Cat Daddy 05-26-2010 07:51 PM

Concerning the original tire sizes...

I own an 800 mile original CT1 that my mother in law bought brand new (title is actually still in her name). I'm doing the ground work now for starting full restoration as soon as I finish the current rest project I'm doing.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...project012.jpg

Mine has 3.25-18 in front and 3.50 in rear not 2.75's and 3.25's. She states these are absolutely the original tires that it came with from the factory.

scotty_rides 05-27-2010 02:14 AM

You are right. I was mixed up last night. For my CT3, I could not find the 3.25's. So I put the 3.50 Shinko SR241 on the front and rear. I saw some other threads where others had trouble finding that front tire size as well.

That CT1 looks really solid. I was missing a few peices that you have. Ebay has plenty of new-old-stock parts. BikeBandit has a surprising amount of Yamaha OEM parts. Good luck on your project. It may help you to browse the details of my project (in pictures) at: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...enduro-project

Here are specs for CT1:
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...O/Picture1.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...O/Picture2.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...O/Picture3.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...O/Picture4.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Concerning the original tire sizes...

I own an 800 mile original CT1 that my mother in law bought brand new (title is actually still in her name). I'm doing the ground work now for starting full restoration as soon as I finish the current rest project I'm doing.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...project012.jpg

Mine has 3.25-18 in front and 3.50 in rear not 2.75's and 3.25's. She states these are absolutely the original tires that it came with from the factory.


sjc56 05-28-2010 11:39 AM

I just love the look of those early Yamaha's especially in that metallic orange. I want a DT250 or 360 but just picked up a Kawasaki F7 175.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014