ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Legal to stand up while riding? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583741)

niceviewbehindbars 05-27-2010 10:15 AM

Legal to stand up while riding?

I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.

I passed a state cop yesterday while standing and I know he saw me but he didn't turn around. Anyone know if there is a law on this? It may be different in different states I would assume. Dunno?

I guess this is sort of like the thugs cruising around with the the seats laid all the way back. Although I know i am in much better control that they are.

DAKEZ 05-27-2010 10:18 AM

It varies from state to state. WA & OR it is against the law. (But I do it anyway)

DELTATANGO 05-27-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.

I passed a state cop yesterday while standing and I know he saw me but he didn't turn around. Anyone know if there is a law on this? It may be different in different states I would assume. Dunno?

I guess this is sort of like the thugs cruising around with the the seats laid all the way back. Although I know i am in much better control that they are.

I don't think it is. I do it on the interstate at 70, to stretch.
Some cops don't ride and probably think it is though.

eSONG 05-27-2010 10:23 AM

I've seen someone post one state's law that stipulates the rider must be seated. I never do it in traffic or where there are likely LEOs.

minerbill 05-27-2010 10:24 AM

No air time for the nads in Colorado

From the Colorado Statutes:

42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles.
(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

DAKEZ 05-27-2010 10:30 AM

Tennessee

55-8-164. Riding on motorcycles.
(a) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle, unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one (1) person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two (2) persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the operator. (b) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, headlamp illuminated, facing forward, with one (1) leg on each side of the motorcycle. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any package, bundle, or other article which prevents such person from keeping both hands on the handlebars. (d) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator. [Acts 1955, ch. 329, 64; 1976, ch. 758, 1; T.C.A., 59-865.]

Trooper 05-27-2010 10:37 AM

It depends on the state. I believe Oregon requires you to be seated at all times while on the highway. California for example does not address it one way or the other.

Greg:gerg

Toolpen 05-27-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trooper
California for example does not address it one way or the other.Greg:gerg

Nice and I have wondered about this. Being able to stand and stretch is one of the reasons I can ride my motorcycle longer/farther than when operating a car. :clap

DAKEZ 05-27-2010 12:23 PM

Laws be damned.

There are some laws I do not care about. This is one. My bikes are designed to be ridden while standing as well as sitting and that is what I do and will continue to do. Laws be damned.

I was pulled over one time in Everett, WA by a Fem-LEO. When I inquired as to why she told me because I was standing.

A shift Sergeant pulled up and asked if I had been Speeding or stunting???

She told him no and he got my license back from her, handed it to me and told me to have a nice night.

WA. does have a law against it... but its a silly law.

niceviewbehindbars 05-27-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ
There are some laws I do not care about. This is one. My bikes are designed to be ridden while standing as well as sitting and that is what I do and will continue to do. Laws be damned.

I was pulled over one time in Everett, WA by a Fem-LEO. When I inquired as to why she told me because I was standing.

A shift Sergeant pulled up and asked if I had been Speeding or stunting???

She told him no and he got my license back from her, handed it to me and told me to have a nice night.

WA. does have a law against it... but its a silly law.

I'm with you. I'm still going to do it. Just wondering if it was legal or not. Anybody know about the east coast states?

ph0rk 05-27-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I'm with you. I'm still going to do it. Just wondering if it was legal or not. Anybody know about the east coast states?

AFAIK it isn't illegal in NC.

That doesn't mean it can't fall under the heading "reckless", though. I assume most people know why I do it when it is hot out.

Calamity Jesus 05-27-2010 01:16 PM

The MSF encourages us to 'stand' (slightly raise off the seat) on the pegs for going over obstacles in the road.

The law was probably written for this guy:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGNzI0wlK1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGNzI0wlK1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

.. not to prevent ph0rk from managing his swimmers' incubation environment.

Mr. Magoo 05-27-2010 01:18 PM

I've been pulled for it NC. Warned. Cop knew it was BS too but felt he had to let me know. I believe thay can charge you with a c&r ... 4 pts in NC.

H e a d N o r t h 05-27-2010 02:39 PM

I do it once in a while, but generally with lots and lots of space between me and anyone else. Yet to be stopped.
IF I am ever stopped for it, I plan to politely let the LEO know that it is a legitimate and prudent method of increasing leverage and stability in various road conditions, and is widely supported by MSA courses.
Should the LEO indicate he plans to charge me, I will also politely inform him that I plan to make my case with a traffic judge.
Always politely.

I very much doubt I'd get written up.

The ATTGATT and greying beard tend to indicate a generally mature individual, which has helped with other issues in the past. (Little do they know).

Calamity Jesus 05-27-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H e a d N o r t h
The ATTGATT and greying beard tend to indicate a generally mature individual, which has helped with other issues in the past. (Little do they know).

Well, the wheelie you did by the speed trap was one hell of a hint...

:rofl

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:00 AM.