ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   6th Gear for LC4?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58598)

dirtyboy 11-05-2004 10:30 AM

6th Gear for LC4??

I would swear I saw a previous post stating that someone has successfully added a 6th gear to their LC4. Since my tranny needs to be rebuilt, I'd like to try this. If my memory serves me correctly (which is rare), there is space for another gear smaller than the stock first inside the gearbox. Can anybody help here??

Cheers.

Jeff620RXC 11-05-2004 10:50 AM

That would be sweet if that is possible.
I would love my bike even more!

I remember reading about people doing that on the RFS bikes but not sure on the LC4? I was thinking they combined the gears from a MX or SX with the EXC. Not sure though.

daotoys1 11-05-2004 10:55 AM

I have never heard of this for the LC4....Id like to add a 6th gear on mine too if it could be done...

You may be mistaken....the 6th gear "addition" is possible with the KTM RFS engines/tranny....were the 4 speed from the MX bikes can be changed to the 6 speed box of the mxc/enduro...but this is true only for the newer Racing Four Stroke RFS machines...and not the "older" Liquid Cooler 4stroke LC4 bikes...

Please correct me if Im wrong...because a 6 speed box in the LC4 would be an upgrade I too would do on mine :freaky :ear :eek1

Arch 11-05-2004 12:57 PM

Never heard of such a thing, either, but man would it be dreamy. :nod

viverrid 11-05-2004 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch
Never heard of such a thing, either, but man would it be dreamy.

Nah, like the man said, its that for the MX they only put 4 speeds into the same 6 speed case used for the Enduro, so you can take the MX bike and more or less add the omitted gears back in...

Drif10 11-05-2004 03:29 PM

I remember reading about it being done, was over a year ago. Think it was posted in KTM Talk too.

Paging Flanny to the white courtesy phone! :wave

dagwood 11-05-2004 07:11 PM

ok...here's my thoughts on this. bear with me.
I work in a gear shop and have started to really think on making some changes but need a guiney pig as I'm not dumb enough to try this on my own bike.
first..I see the 5th gear has a 18 tooth final with a 22 idler. If I make a set of say 16- 24 gears for fifth it would be like having an over drive right? just a big jump from fourth to fifth. who really uses that range to much in criticle spots anyway? most of the time it's 2nd, 3rd tops off road and 5th on road. 4th is just there to get to 5th right?
would that be such a huge jump that it would bother people? :ear
I need to ask the gear guru's at work what the ratios and how much of a bitch it would be. Cutting the blanks, hobbing the gears. pulling the splines, milling the dogs, getting it heat treated (in house) it really isn't hard just time consuming.
AND I need real specks. not just pictures in the cheasy parts book. A spare set would be sweet ...then I could have them in hand and have the Engineers draw up real prints and look at making a few sets. :nod
Really. I'm gonna ask at work and see If I can get a price on doing them.

BlitzBike 11-05-2004 09:03 PM

The coveted "6th" LC4 Gear

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyboy
I would swear I saw a previous post stating that someone has successfully added a 6th gear to their LC4. Since my tranny needs to be rebuilt, I'd like to try this. If my memory serves me correctly (which is rare), there is space for another gear smaller than the stock first inside the gearbox. Can anybody help here??

Cheers.

You may be refering to my story. I met a fellow LC4 rider who decided to add the sixth gear. If I recall correctly, it went like this: Since case clearances don't really allow for a gear physically LARGER than 5th, they took an RFS gear SMALLER (fewer teeth) than the LC4 1st gear and installed it below 1st and adjusted the final drive accordingly.
In other words, you now have a "shorter first" gear so the final drive can be adjusted to make 5th gear more highway style. The only problem was that the interval/space between 1st and 2nd gear was very "close" since it is not possible to go too much further down below the existing 1st gear in teeth. Therefore, first and second feel "closer" in ratio than say 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th etc.. I know they used this bike as a serious off-road abuse bike and apperantly there were no real issues other than the "closeness" of 1st and 2nd. In this manner the final drive was geared TALLER but, they still had a good dirt worthy 1st and 2nd albeit "close". This guy definitely did this too his bike but, I never got to ride it to sample the effect. AMEN

meat popsicle 11-06-2004 09:40 AM

Thanks Swampy,

One other question: was that all talk about a new LC4 model (not sold here) with a 6-speed? If it wasn't then maybe Dagwood could use the specs for that tranny; I would think that they would not change the overall size of the tranny in the LC4 as retooling the production line is expensive right? Better to shove it in the existing space?

Drif10 11-06-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy
You may be refering to my story. I met a fellow LC4 rider who decided to add the sixth gear. If I recall correctly, it went like this: Since case clearances don't really allow for a gear physically LARGER than 5th, they took an RFS gear SMALLER (fewer teeth) than the LC4 1st gear and installed it below 1st and adjusted the final drive accordingly.
In other words, you now have a "shorter first" gear so the final drive can be adjusted to make 5th gear more highway style. The only problem was that the interval/space between 1st and 2nd gear was very "close" since it is not possible to go too much further down below the existing 1st gear in teeth. Therefore, first and second feel "closer" in ratio than say 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th etc.. I know they used this bike as a serious off-road abuse bike and apperantly there were no real issues other than the "closeness" of 1st and 2nd. In this manner the final drive was geared TALLER but, they still had a good dirt worthy 1st and 2nd albeit "close". This guy definitely did this too his bike but, I never got to ride it to sample the effect. AMEN

Yup, that's the same story I heard. And I would be interested in doing this as well. I only lower my gearing because I want a lower first gear, so this sounds llike just the ticket. I could leave the stock gearing and still have my tight woods gears for playing. I would guess that at minimum you'd need the gears, shifter forks, and a new shifter drum.

Anyone got any search tips for tracking this down?

daotoys1 11-06-2004 01:13 PM

For me all this sounds like half assed compromises....I want a six speed close ratio box....or nothing....Ill stick with the 5 speed....maybe KTM will come out with a new ralley LC4 replacement 750cc thumper with 6 speeds and plenty of poop to go with it....then Ill get that bike and maybe sell/retire the LC4 Im playing with... :freaky :lol3 :1drink :evil :puke1 :D :wink: :thumb :eek1

Barry 11-06-2004 01:40 PM

Thread Hijack !

Fuck 6th gear. Give me the stock gearing and 20 more hp !!!!

Barry

Stobie 11-06-2004 03:03 PM

Wouldn't one of the auto-clutches (Revloc, Recluse) allow you to keep tall gearing and have low-speed control? Swapping out a gearset couldn't be cheap or easy.

BlitzBike 11-06-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Thanks Swampy,

One other question: was that all talk about a new LC4 model (not sold here) with a 6-speed? If it wasn't then maybe Dagwood could use the specs for that tranny; I would think that they would not change the overall size of the tranny in the LC4 as retooling the production line is expensive right? Better to shove it in the existing space?

It must have been propaganda or rumor because the official KTM specs still list the new bikes as 5 speed tranny. I read on some other thread that one rider ran into some KTM officials while riding and was lamenting the demise of the LC4 Adventure in the USA and they claimed to be working on getting some over here and said that any dealer could order them!! Although, at the current exchange rate, I'll believe it when I see it....
( a $10,000 Dollar LC4)....Glad I bought when I did.

On another note....I believe the other reason they went with a shorter first gear on the 6 speed mod was because it is much easier to do than trying to work out something for the higher gears where a general (spendy hassle) reworking of the entire gearing range might come into play because of the case clearances.

dagwood 11-06-2004 06:23 PM

So...the space for a 9.5" fifth gear is just not there? is the case that close that there just isn't any claerence for a taller fifth :ear How much space limiting factor is there. is it Casting flanges that limite clearence or real inside demensions :ear Who's got they're cases split? send me pictures. :nod

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 AM.