ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TetS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589118)

intothenew 06-12-2010 02:39 PM

TetS

Trans Eastern Trail South r4, for your viewing pleasure.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-j.../i-jtFB7Sn.jpg

Now if that don't get your blood to stirrin', I don't know what else we can do. It runs from Carrabelle FL to Pearisburg VA, with choices I might add.

NorthernTraveler put in a lot of miles and hours of homework to make this happen. Rob23, thanks for the inspiration, we ain't done yet.

The protocol for getting the file:

Fill out the form below

I send you the doc file

You respond in the thread that you got the doc

I send you the gpx

This seems to be a bit hard for some to follow, I don't know if that is just because you don't read, or that you feel I am being too intrusive. I'll try and explain the madness behind it so that you might see where I am coming from. I make you stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken for the following reasons.

ADV username: You made it past the ADV gate keepers, that gains a certain amount of trust on my part. I prefer to keep this in the hood.

E-mail address: I will not post this as an attachment, or post a link to a dedicated server. This is between you and I, and you and I only.

First and last name: You are real, or at least I hope that you are real. I have met some of you in meatspace, and hope to meet many more. I have made what I think will be some lasting friends at this. A real name, not a screen name, is a better way to start in meatspace. The nickname I am after is the one that your SO, or your mother, calls you. That one is much more effective to use on the trail or around the campfire to heckle with.

I send the doc and you respond in the thread: Some people just don't know their e-mail address and/or have extremely fat fingers. This sequence assures that the map file is going to the intended place and, albeit with a lot of wishful thinking, assumes that you have read the doc. Take the time to read, although there is some self indulgence on my part, the majority is there just for you. This step also automatically subscribes you to the thread I hope. If not, you need to subscribe, that is he surest way for you to receive release updates. Lastly, I've got a few n00b cherries with this step.

I send you the gpx: You, and only you.

<iframe src="http://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dFBWTm9ERUpzenUxQVppMWx2RmpGV VE6MA" width="760" height="642" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

NorthernTraveler 06-13-2010 12:06 PM

TET-South

Some notes on my route/file....

Waypoints for gas/food lodging are in the following format -

AAXX-X

AA- initials of the state the waypoint is in.
XX- waypoint number from the southern edge of a state counting northward
-X optional to indicate the waypoint is near, but not on, the route

I tried to have gas every 50-100 miles.... usually on the route, sometimes near the route.

The route is broken into roughly 100 mile segments.... usually you can make 2 segments a day, but not always.

The route was laid out to maximize dirt/gravel, but sometimes scenic values weighed heavily.

There are a few places with big bike bypasses.... generally for above a 650. Could a big bike get through? Probably, with the right rider and a lot of work. Is the other option usually good too? Yep.

At the northern end in Virgina there are a couple of options for tougher sections..... the extreme is make-able northbound on a 650, but quite tough southbound for about anything... badly rutted 2 track coming off a mountain on a power line.

At the southern end of Florida I note that there is a bridge out... it was out when I was there April 2-3. There was construction equipment on site working on it. I have called the local forest service district 3 times to ask about the status... always get voice mail for the engineer... and they have NEVER called back. So it might be open, but it might not be open. I have included a bypass in case it isn't open, but somebody down that way PLEASE let the rest of us know it's current status.

Watch for the unexpected scenic things..... buffalo in FL, scenic parkway in AL, old airport with airplanes and farm machinery in GA.

Enjoy!

Cycletech 06-13-2010 08:39 PM

Chip,
Got the doc.
Thanks,
Chris
<!-- / message -->

9Dave 06-14-2010 04:19 AM

Thanks for sharing, guys. I can only imagine how much effort went into this, and the other efforts.

Truly appreciated.

Dave

captain 06-14-2010 01:08 PM

very nice!

Very nice work guys!:beer

opjocephus 06-15-2010 05:58 AM

Can't wait....

Thank you kindly, Chip. Uh, I got the doc.

OP

Gimmeslack 06-16-2010 04:09 AM

Got the email... very interested to see what ya' found in my neighborhood.
Thanks Chip!

larrytoby 06-18-2010 07:09 AM

Got the doc. Thanks.

Chipper 06-21-2010 06:33 AM

Chip, Got the doc file. Thanks

greenlizard 06-21-2010 07:11 AM

Chip,

Received the doc file this morning.

Steve

GTdrew 06-21-2010 07:27 AM

Got the doc. Thanks for your efforts Chip. Looking forward to exploring some new routes.

goldo 06-21-2010 03:55 PM

TetS

Got it - thanks
Can't wait to check it out
If you ever need anyone to go exploring with let me know I 'd love to come along

Canned Soup 06-21-2010 05:06 PM

Hey Chip,
Received the Doc file. Looking forward to the route. Looks like it runs through some of the areas I ride.
thanks
dave

lhendrik 06-22-2010 06:00 AM

Got the doc thanks

DiscoDino 06-23-2010 07:29 AM

Email received! Thanks Chip!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:42 PM.