ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   21 inch front (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592717)

FIIG Rick 06-22-2010 08:55 PM

21 inch front
 
who's done it, how hard is it, pro's and con's ??

Inprogress 06-23-2010 01:02 AM

not sure where in the world...
 
Think I saw someone over at UKGser that did the conversion. Might want to go check out there. Think they said it was great, but highspeed traveling seemed a bit more wobbly.......BUT I'm talking under correction. Rather get a HP2 and be done with it wink

csustewy 06-23-2010 12:35 PM

Try a search of this site for Woody's wheels and 21 front. more than a few threads...

google search results

Boxerlove 06-24-2010 11:50 AM

I have a 21" on my 05 R12GS. I didn't do the full conversion with the wunderlich lower fork clamp and rally mud guard though if thats the conversion you are talking about. I got my wheel from Woody's and kept the original lower fork clamp but I can not use the stock lower mud guard (because of clearance) so I run without it. I really love the 21" though. It really helps a lot off road and doesn't sacrifice much on road. Straight line high speed is more stable now along with fast sweepers. You really only notice a differance on the tight corners on road. Off road it tracks much better, rolls over large obstacles better, adds a little extra ground clearance and alows for slighty faster speeds. The only negative is that without the front lower mud guard there is more tire spray when its raining or when you are going through mud. Call woody though he is very helpful and has all the answers.

Rad 06-24-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIIG Rick
who's done it, how hard is it, pro's and con's ??

Did it to my 01' GS. It is a bolt on and go once you have the 21" wheel. Someone will have to lace one up for you. GS wheels are not as easy to lace up as your standard tube wheel.

Pro- Lots of fun in the dirt, far more stable at speed.

Cons- Not near as good on the street as a 19". The profile on a 19" TKC is nice and round, the 21" TKC is very square.

I ran to sets of wheels, took about 15 min to swap out the wheels each time.
http://rad.smugmug.com/photos/38118589_gbZA5-O.jpg

FIIG Rick 06-25-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerlove
I have a 21" on my 05 R12GS. I didn't do the full conversion with the wunderlich lower fork clamp and rally mud guard though if thats the conversion you are talking about. I got my wheel from Woody's and kept the original lower fork clamp but I can not use the stock lower mud guard (because of clearance) so I run without it. I really love the 21" though. It really helps a lot off road and doesn't sacrifice much on road. Straight line high speed is more stable now along with fast sweepers. You really only notice a differance on the tight corners on road. Off road it tracks much better, rolls over large obstacles better, adds a little extra ground clearance and alows for slighty faster speeds. The only negative is that without the front lower mud guard there is more tire spray when its raining or when you are going through mud. Call woody though he is very helpful and has all the answers.

How much better in sand??
Could you post up some pics of the bike and the wheel etc, also any problems you came across, did you sacrifice your front wheel for the hub or did you get a complete new one?

Boxerlove 06-25-2010 08:05 AM

I haven't had it in deep sand yet with the 21" but i was at the dumont dunes in ca with the 19" and it did well. I have had it in some sand and a lot of deep sticky mud and it definitely does better. There is less rolling resistance in the front and it is easier to steer. I haven't run into any problems at all from it. I did sacrifice my 19" wheel because it was bent. I sent my front and rear wheels to woody's in co and had him lace an HP2 outer wheel to my original hub and at the same time I had him anodize both wheels black. let me know if you have anymore questions.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0183.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0188_2.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0187.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0068.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/100_3749.jpg

woody's wheel works 06-25-2010 09:04 AM

here's some threads with more info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FIIG Rick
who's done it, how hard is it, pro's and con's ??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=532368&page=4

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18387

or alternative
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311887

or for more questions use this thread in vendor forum
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

:beer
w

Martincito 06-25-2010 02:01 PM

What tire are you guys using on the 21" front?
TKC-80 or something else?

Boxerlove 06-25-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martincito
What tire are you guys using on the 21" front?
TKC-80 or something else?

There are a lot more choices for a 21" rim than with a 19" but i'm still using the trusted TKC's.

woody's wheel works 06-25-2010 03:06 PM

21'' tires for your GS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martincito
What tire are you guys using on the 21" front?
TKC-80 or something else?

FYI,,there are quite a few tires available going from street only to every shade in between to mainly dirt use...

FYI<< a brief list,,listed as %street/%dirt

Dunlop
DOT D606 real off road performance/aggresive dirt
D908RR rally racer/paris -dakar

Continental
TKC-80 tubeless
Twinduro 40/60
Conti Escape 70/30

Metzler

Enduro 3 Sahara tubeless
Karoo tubeless 80/20
MCE Karoo 2 90/10 tubeless

Michelin

Baja x-country race/adventure tire

Bridgestone
Enduro 20/80
Trail wings 80/20

Pirelli

Scorpion 20/80
MT-21 90/10
MT-90-A/T 70/30
MT 60-R 60/40
MT 90 S/T 95/5 performance touring

Avon

AM24 Gripster 50/50
AM43 Distanzia 90/10

:super
woody

icekube1 06-25-2010 05:48 PM

Hi

Suggest you PM Russ (SYDADVGS) our beloved mod in the Oz forum. He's done it.

Also Oz Imate SteveRed.

Cheers

FIIG Rick 06-25-2010 05:53 PM

[quote=icekube1]Hi

Suggest you PM Russ (SYDADVGS) our beloved mod in the Oz forum. He's done it.

Also Oz Imate SteveRed.

Cheers[/quote
Thanks for that, will do.

FIIG Rick 06-25-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerlove
I haven't had it in deep sand yet with the 21" but i was at the dumont dunes in ca with the 19" and it did well. I have had it in some sand and a lot of deep sticky mud and it definitely does better. There is less rolling resistance in the front and it is easier to steer. I haven't run into any problems at all from it. I did sacrifice my 19" wheel because it was bent. I sent my front and rear wheels to woody's in co and had him lace an HP2 outer wheel to my original hub and at the same time I had him anodize both wheels black. let me know if you have anymore questions.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0183.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0188_2.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0187.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/DSC_0068.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/100_3749.jpg

Looks like you have been having fun, any problems with mud, sems to be min clearance between the wheel and the brace, or does it clear itself ok
Had some issues with that before.

Martincito 06-25-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxerlove
There are a lot more choices for a 21" rim than with a 19" but i'm still using the trusted TKC's.


Quote:

Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
FYI,,there are quite a few tires available going from street only to every shade in between to mainly dirt use...
woody

Thanks for the answers

I bought a used 21" a few months ago. It's a Woody's and came with a Dunlop D908RR. Is not tubeless. (I'm wondering if it's possible to make it tubeless)
I haven't ridden with it yet. But I'm looking forward for some off road riding pretty soon. (Not and easy task around NYC)
I was reading some reviews about this tire and everybody agreed that was good for off road but it sucks on pavement. I'll check it by myself soon.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014