ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Triumph Tiger 800 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070)

Keithy 11-06-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
If that price translates into $$, which it usually does, one for one, it would make it the cheapest of the Adventure twins. KTM 990's are over $17K now and the GS800 and Tenere coming close behind.

Twins? we don't want no stinking twins.....Triples are the new twins matey! :D

burgerking 11-06-2010 09:48 AM

more boring news...I ordered mine today an 800 in crystal white, plus ABS and some extra's. Put down a deposit, will be here next april...but what do these dealers know about time travel :D

jeffs900s 11-06-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Single dual sport bikes work well in certain situations, won't match a BMW GS adv in others. On road the GS wins of course but my DR650 does quite well on our tight, beat up California paved back roads. Rougher the better. The GS does OK on this stuff but the DR is much faster ... but does lack in brakes. But on a 370 lbs. wet weight bike ... who needs brakes? Last BMW GS adv we weighed came in about 700 plus lbs. loaded up, full fuel.

Can the average solo rider pick up a BMW GS adv if it falls? How about if the rider is pinned? Now try that on a muddy road ... or ice!

Depending on what you consider "off road", I'd say the BMW GS adv is rather limited ... and I would think the new Tiger should do a lot better. But until we start getting first hand ride reports on the new Tiger, can't say for sure.

I've been on rides with GS guys in mud and deep sand. Not good. Two turned around, one tried to make it .... bike ended up in the bucket of a rancher's tractor. Took four guys to get it in and out without damage. My DR650 struggled but made it through pretty easy. Lifting that GS was what hurt me:lol3

You could never take a GS very far off road in Baja. Sure, you might be OK in places but eventually Baja will get you riding that bike. Even my DR is a no-go in places. The difference is I can do probably 75% to 85% of whats there. The GS? maybe 30% ? New Tiger? I think it will do pretty well if kept from most radical sections.

DR's and KLR's have there uses. Both are considered excellent RTW travel bikes. Cheap and cheerful ... and reliable. There are dozens of riders out there NOW riding these bikes in crazy-ass places where a GS would struggle mightily. I won't even bring up reliability. Don't want to get banned here. BMW GS's are scared Cows here on ADV Rider.

I cant tell if you actually read what I wrote, but I don't disagree with anything in your reply (because it says essentially the same thing as I wrote) - except for the inference that a KLR would be more reliable than a GS, which has certainly not been my experience through 3 KLRs and 2 GSs.

John Ashman 11-06-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgerking
more boring news...I ordered mine today an 800 in crystal white, plus ABS and some extra's. Put down a deposit, will be here next april...but what do these dealers know about time travel :D

How much extra was ABS?

jtw000 11-06-2010 02:01 PM

BMWs are not that good. I have owned most of their GS range at some point. Loved them all but always had reservations. They are not without flaws, especially the 1200s. They're not reliable at all. The 800 suffers from major build quality flaws and mine showed the faults, as did my brothers and others we say. My experience with Triumph was also mixed. Like them but Triumph don't seem to be on top of their game. They like to copy other people, play it safe while answering every question by throwing a 3 cylindered engine at it. The Tiger will sell but I suspect it will turn out to be like all Triumphs. Loved by their owners but never quite hitting the mark and never making their own space in the market because all they build is competition for other machines that got their first. If this Tiger impresses the people that ride them i will be surprised. I reckon it will be a road bike with knobbly tires. A paper-tiger.

jackanory 11-06-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtw000
BMWs are not that good. I have owned most of their GS range at some point. Loved them all but always had reservations. They are not without flaws, especially the 1200s. They're not reliable at all. The 800 suffers from major build quality flaws and mine showed the faults, as did my brothers and others we say. My experience with Triumph was also mixed. Like them but Triumph don't seem to be on top of their game. They like to copy other people, play it safe while answering every question by throwing a 3 cylindered engine at it. The Tiger will sell but I suspect it will turn out to be like all Triumphs. Loved by their owners but never quite hitting the mark and never making their own space in the market because all they build is competition for other machines that got their first. If this Tiger impresses the people that ride them i will be surprised. I reckon it will be a road bike with knobbly tires. A paper-tiger.

it's so hard to be perfect in an imperfect world. :norton

Mercury264 11-06-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Just to give us all a reference...what exactly do you think IS a good bike :ear

bumblebee1 11-06-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Just to give us all a reference...what exactly do you think IS a good bike :ear

DR650 :D

But I would love a triple anyways....as a spare only.

RaY YreKa 11-06-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

My experience with Triumph was also mixed. Like them but Triumph don't seem to be on top of their game. They like to copy other people, play it safe while answering every question by throwing a 3 cylindered engine at it. The Tiger will sell but I suspect it will turn out to be like all Triumphs. Loved by their owners but never quite hitting the mark.

Um, why is this bad?

G-Funk 11-06-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray_rev
Um, why is this bad?

It isn't. Heya Ray ..... :wave

I personally think it's good that Triumph basically looked at what was selling in the DS big bike market. And of course that's BMW. And of course Triumph is doing up a direct competitor ......

I think that's a smart move in the marketing area. Of course build quality has to be up to snuff, but if the 800xc has been designed basically off of the GS line, and the pricing done correctly, I think the bike will sell like wild fire. Add in the fact that the bike is a triple and not a twin, and it makes it all the more better IMHO.

I've owned 2 Tigers, still have my girlie, and with both of them, the build quality was excellent. I've had really no issues with 2000, and I had no issues with my 98.

Last ..... Triumph isn't the only one doing this. I think Yamaha with their S10 did exactly the same thing.

That's my .02 cents .....

G.

jtw000 11-06-2010 03:48 PM

It's bad because there was a "but" after the bit you highlighted. If you read that bit the answer to your question is there. In response to the other sarcastic comment, good bikes are few and far between. I liked the R1100gs as it was reliable, there are few problems, riders don't sell them. I ride an X-country now, I bought it as a stop gap after my F800gs was stolen (it was booked in for warranty work including weeping head and chain & sprockets) but ended up really liking it and sticking with that. It's a good bike. No hassle, no common faults and does everything well enough. Faults are starting to show up now I see on the newer ones but they are built in China to a different spec so it's esentially a different bike. I have owned a number of bikes, around 60 and wouldn't consider owning any of them again. I've had enough Trumphs and BMWs to strongly suspect this new one to be no use to me. I've owned enough new bikes to know that you should never buy one in the first 6 months. Let other people deal with the issues and recalls for you and then buy one later... maybe... unless it's a BMW because they probably won't bother to fix the design anyway.

An ideal bike now would not be marketed. When a small company brings out an adventure bike I'll be listening. Lets see a small engineering form produce a simple to fix bike with decent power and rugged lightweight chassis and solid engineering. I don't want hydrolic suspension, ABS, solenoid brakes, laser beams for eyes or the ability to travel through time.

CuzinMike 11-06-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

An ideal bike now would not be marketed.

This ideal bike may already exist then. We'll just never know about it...

RaY YreKa 11-06-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Funk
It isn't. Heya Ray ..... :wave

I personally think it's good that Triumph basically looked at what was selling in the DS big bike market. And of course that's BMW. And of course Triumph is doing up a direct competitor ......

I think that's a smart move in the marketing area. Of course build quality has to be up to snuff, but if the 800xc has been designed basically off of the GS line, and the pricing done correctly, I think the bike will sell like wild fire. Add in the fact that the bike is a triple and not a twin, and it makes it all the more better IMHO.

I've owned 2 Tigers, still have my girlie, and with both of them, the build quality was excellent. I've had really no issues with 2000, and I had no issues with my 98.

Last ..... Triumph isn't the only one doing this. I think Yamaha with their S10 did exactly the same thing.

That's my .02 cents .....

G.

Hey G!

Good to hear that about Triumph and the Tigers.

My intent, coming off an 1150GS, would be for a lighter, faster, all-round adv bike. The fact thatis British is a plus, and the fact it's a triple is a big plus.

I suspect each buyer will have their own set of reasons for either up-grading, down-sizing, or switching, which may be the mark of its sales success.

But, for whatever reason, I do suspect the Tiggers will sell out.

RaY YreKa 11-06-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

It's bad because there was a "but" after the bit you highlighted. If you read that bit the answer to your question is there. In response to the other sarcastic comment, good bikes are few and far between. .

I wasn't being overtly sarcastic, I was acknowleging that loving your bike is the most important reason to keep it. All the bikes I've loved had faults. The ones that didn't, I appreciated, but in the end those were also the most bland.

YMMV.

JBird 11-06-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuzinMike
This ideal bike may already exist then. We'll just never know about it...

:lol3 :lol3 That made me spit my beer out - thanks!!!!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 PM.