ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Triumph Tiger 800 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070)

ManitouMike 11-23-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion BR
Videos do not show speed very well. The camera guy was on first gear all the way... who said those gear indicators are not good? They have a purpose. Maximum speed I saw was in the 70's at one of the points he was briefly accelerating , but mostly he was in the 40-50 range. Since he was in 1st gear according to the dash info, I assume that to be 70km/h, which would be about 45mph maximum speed but the ride mostly at 25-35mph.

But that is not to say that this bike could not had been ridden faster than that.

Now, based on that speed and riding style, what can you expect this journalist to report on this bike? Perhaps exactly what 90-95% of the owners will ever do anyway.

Lion

Not quite sure why you would assume kph vice mph, as Great Britain uses mph.

fullmonte 11-23-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManitouMike
Not quite sure why you would assume kph vice mph, as Great Britain uses mph.

I doubt they got up to 70 em pee aitch in first gear. Kph is much more believeable for that scenario. I hope it was kph as the rider was idling along at 11 indicated on the speedo, while waiting for the journo who missed the turn. One of the biggest faults of Girlie Tigers is the ridiculously tall first gear.

Birdy68 11-23-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManitouMike
Not quite sure why you would assume kph vice mph, as Great Britain uses mph.

Because it was filmed in Spain and there it's Km/h. I'm sure they had to set it up so that the Journalists didn't go racing through a village at 50 mph instead of 50 km/h (30 mph).

One of the signs says 40 as entering the village - which is a typical km/h sign over here. That would be around 25 mph.
If it were the other way around (40 mph), it would mean that they were allowed to ride 65 km/h through a village.... No! I don't think so.

John Ashman 11-23-2010 12:59 PM

Magazine mpg ratings are useless except as worst case scenarios. Most motorcycles probably get at least 25% better mpg in normal use.

What we need is a universal standard that gives us mpg at 10mph increments, starting at about 35mph, so you know where the vehicle's sweetspot is.

nevermind 11-23-2010 01:17 PM

The bike appears to have very good composure and sounds great. I have to hear it with a proper set of spark-arresting cans...

Lion BR 11-23-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManitouMike
Not quite sure why you would assume kph vice mph, as Great Britain uses mph.

I think you got the response to your question from others already. But just in case:
1. the guy never left first gear, so 70-mph would be quite a stretch for 1st gear (although it seems this bike has a long 1st gear anyway)
2. the ride was in Spain (and the bike has settings for both kmh and mph)

Now, about that first gear: as someone already mentioned the girlie 1st gear being long... from this video, that is the impression I got from this bike as well, that it has a long first gear.

Lion

tofire409 11-23-2010 01:32 PM

Well that video did nothing to dissuade my desire for the 800xc dammit. Don't tell my KLR or she might quit on me:lol3

itsatdm 11-23-2010 01:48 PM

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/...md-first-ride/

Rob Dirt 11-23-2010 02:08 PM

I talked to a dealer earlier today & he said that orders need to be in by Thursday (turkey day) to get one in March. I'm getting a black 800XC without ABS.:clap

pjensen641 11-23-2010 02:29 PM

Anybody seen any info on the valvetrain layout? Looks like the 675 is shim under bucket. Would be nice if they made it a bit easier on the 800! Also, the 675 is 12K mile check interval from what I read. Not as bad as a Duc, but on the higher frequency end in todays market.

G-Funk 11-23-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray_rev
Must. Not. Put. Deposit. Down.

John Bloor (Triumph, 2010): "If you build a good product, your pricing is correct, and the quality is good, you always stand a fair chance"

Dr Herbert Deiss (BMW circa 2008-09): "BMW will continue to target the premium customer"

Must...Not...:becca

Those videos just posted up are not helping me .......... :bluduh

:lol3

G.

Lion BR 11-23-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Funk
Those videos just posted up are not helping me .......... :bluduh

:lol3

G.

Your TransAlp quivers when you say that...

G-Funk 11-23-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion BR
Your TransAlp quivers when you say that...

No ......

My Africa Twin, it's an honest to dog 92 RD04, quivers when I say that ..... :beer

G.

Lion BR 11-23-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Funk
No ......

My Africa Twin, it's an honest to dog 92 RD04, quivers when I say that ..... :beer

G.

Oops, hope it didn't hear me say that. Indeed, an Africa Twin it is. And a nice one at that.

Beach40 11-23-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion BR
Same ride filmed by another rider. At minute 7 and 8 you will see some action.

"I looked at the the gear indicator to see what gear I was in and I hit a rock."

Thanks for posting. Seeing that, I reckon this bike will perform pretty much how many of us were hoping it would. It doesn't look to top heavy and the power delivery looks easy, torquey and linear, with plenty available if you want to grab a handful of throttle. The chassis/suspension looks like its more than up to the task, albeit a little soft, which seems to be the norm from the factory these days.

I reckon I will have one in the shed by this time next year.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014