ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Triumph Tiger 800 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070)

The Jerk 04-30-2011 03:03 PM

I picked up my 800 today! :clap

Since I was last at the dealer (Rockwell Cycles in New York near Bear Mountain), they had received two XCs: One orange one that was a pre-sold and was supposed to be black and one white XC with ABS that is unsold and available (at least it was this morning).

The dealer was saying that bikes that weren't ordered are coming in and other assorted weirdness.

Pics to come!

http://homepage.mac.com/sjbartnik/IMG_0330.jpg

levain 04-30-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jerk (Post 15798263)
I picked up my 800 today! :clap

Since I was last at the dealer (Rockwell Cycles in New York near Bear Mountain), they had received two XCs: One orange one that was a pre-sold and was supposed to be black and one white XC with ABS that is unsold and available (at least it was this morning).

The dealer was saying that bikes that weren't ordered are coming in and other assorted weirdness.

Pics to come!

http://homepage.mac.com/sjbartnik/IMG_0330.jpg

How's the power and general ride compare to your 1050? Do you feel like you've lost any power?

blk-betty 04-30-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Williams (Post 15798438)
How's the power and general ride compare to your 1050? Do you feel like you've lost any power?

Would like to know the same.

Sat on one exaclty like yours in the pic above and really liked the way it felt, almost dirt bikeish.

I've got a 1050 and a HD Street Glide and trying to decide what if anything I'm going to do next.

Considering trading the HD on an 800 or 800XC or maybe go the other direction and trade for a HD XR1200X.......OR.......keep the HD Glide and trade the 1050 for one of the 800s but gotta say, after riding HDs for 11 years I'm loving the power of the 1050 and don't want to give it up if the 800 series is significantly down in performance compared to the 1050.

PirateDunk 04-30-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 15796436)
Is there an adjustment on the motor? On most bikes it's normal for the free play to be used up as the clutch plates wear.

The handlebar adjustment is fully wound in. Went to the workshop with a friend who works there yesterday who removed the engine guide and replace the nut furthest from the clutch with a circlip to get more free play.

The Arrow exhaust does seem to give a bit more grunt, although I'm still limited to 7000rpm. It give the exhaust a nice bass sound without being overpowering. Also cleans the back up of the bike a fair bit and probably saves about 10kg in weight.

I now have an adventure sportsbike. Fantastic!

soph9 04-30-2011 04:37 PM

we have both taken out the street and XC Tigers for demos...we like the XC as it is better set up like our bikes now...I got to try out the low seat...personally the 2 tone low looks better than stock:eek1 and makes it way easier for me to ride this bike since I am vertically challenged.

Nice ride the XC, same engine as the street but for me better riding position. A must is taking those rubber peg inserts OUT...man Triumph must think we all like having our knees so high up...getting rid of the rubber I know would make my knees feel happier....would have to get the taller shield...got the bike up to 140KM across a high bridge and yeah...taller screen and I am only 5'5"...but that would make it easier on the chest and head when touring the pavement.

There is a black XC at Western Powersports in Langley with SOLD on it....so, who out there has not picked their bike up yet:lol3:lol3

andoulli 04-30-2011 05:58 PM

Like many I have not read through the entire thread, yet. So forgive me if this is a 507 or what ever number it is. I did my first mpg check on the .8K Tiger today and came up with 46 mpg. Considering I am still riding like a grandmother breaking in her first bike on Sunday, I am a little disappointed, but not surprised.

On the plus side I think she sounds like a Porsche.

T800 ABS

panorton 04-30-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soph9 (Post 15798744)
There is a black XC at Western Powersports in Langley with SOLD on it....so, who out there has not picked their bike up yet:lol3:lol3

i belive he is in the navy and is currently deployed.

The Jerk 04-30-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blk-betty (Post 15798651)
Would like to know the same.

Considering trading the HD on an 800 or 800XC or maybe go the other direction and trade for a HD XR1200X.......OR.......keep the HD Glide and trade the 1050 for one of the 800s but gotta say, after riding HDs for 11 years I'm loving the power of the 1050 and don't want to give it up if the 800 series is significantly down in performance compared to the 1050.

The 800 is, in fact, down about 10 hp from the 1050 but then again it also weighs quite a bit less as well. So in the big scheme of things I'm not so sure it's down in performance. The character of the engine is very different. On the 1050, the magic number is 6000 rpm. On the 800 it's about 4000 rpm.

The 800 doesn't really feel like it's down on power compared to the 1050, perhaps because it feels more nimble overall. I would say the low-end torque is perhaps not quite as robust as the 1050 but the 800 will still pull cleanly from low revs. Just not quite as quickly.

I'm very happy with it and I certainly don't feel like I've given up power or performance. It's just sized a little better for me.

fmunson 04-30-2011 08:00 PM

First impressions

I had a lovely second ride on my XC today. Spring is slowly taking hold here and I actually removed a few layers from my riding gear. Like many I'm a bit of short arse; I found it easier to get my feet down when I didn't have multiple layers of clothing restricting my movement. I'm coming from a 250cc bike so the tiger is a huge increase in power and speed. Surprisingly, at least to me, it doesn't feel any more difficult to handle once I'm going. I rode mostly pavement today but took it for a few kms of woods road; i felt a little uncomfortable with my lack of 'big bike' experience and chickened out:eek1
I hit some soft sand and she dug in requiring way more muscle than I'm used to expending in this situation. I'm sure the tiger is capable but it will take some more practice on my part before I can take it where my li'l XT250 can go. I'm not dismayed just realistic. The upside is it's extremely comfy. Seat, bars, pegs, all of these feel great. It's really hard to stay under 5000 RPM, something happens at 5500 that leads me to believe there's a whole other world of grunt there, even the tone of the engine changes from sewing machine to....I don't know yet, Ive only had a glimpse.
On another note, the centre stand really needs a heavier spring or some kind of retainer. It makes quite a racket off the pave. Ideas anyone?

PaulSF 04-30-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blk-betty (Post 15798651)
I'm loving the power of the 1050 and don't want to give it up if the 800 series is significantly down in performance compared to the 1050.

I rode my 1050 to the shop to test ride the 800, just to answer the exact same question for myself. I have an XC on order and they only had a roadie as a demo. I looked at the roadie as closer to the 1050, and was considering trading the 1050 in on the 800.

I found it an amazingly quick well balanced bike that pushed me into corners faster than I had thought I would take them.

But get it out of the twisties and it just reminded me that I wasn't on my 1050. It just didn't feel planted at speed, was getting blown around by the freeway traffic, and was clearly missing the punch of the one liter torque.

I am hoping the suspension changes on the XC will correct the planted feel, and I'll trade the cornering for the torque... but I'll keep my 1050 as well, thank you very much.

Evomx971 04-30-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion BR (Post 15796508)
When you made a deposit on your bike, did you receive any confirmation from Triumph about your order? Or all you've got was the dealer receipt of the sales order?

My dealer got an orange XC non-ABS on April 1st. I wanted a white XC ABS so put $1000 down. They actually were on the phone with someone from Triumph USA and asked when they could expect a white XC ABS if they had money in hand and the guy said end of April/early May. He said white was the easiest color to get. The dealer took my email and said that Triumph would send me a message on the status of the bike but I never got anything from Triumph. My bike showed up on April 20th so really can't complain. The process went really smoothly for me... but that doesn't sound like the norm.

jimjim 04-30-2011 08:50 PM

Another happy Tiger 800 ABS owner, love it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/Tiger800.jpg

Rob Dirt 04-30-2011 09:14 PM

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...dZoeTiger2.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...8/DSC06333.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...8/DSC06336.jpg

RaY YreKa 05-01-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Dirt (Post 15800396)

Worth the wait? :ear

Bocephous 05-01-2011 05:31 AM

Rob,

What was your wifes/girlfriends impression of the passenger accomodations, and how tall is she?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:15 AM.