ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   British Beasts: Triumph Tigers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Triumph Tiger 800 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070)

woodys3b 05-02-2011 03:44 AM

I'm taking my 08 Harley Electra Glide to the Triumph dealer on Wednesday to test out a demo T800. My other bike is a DR 650. Believe it or not, I'm much more comfortable on the DR and the off road suspension handles the Michigan pot holes way better than the Harley. I owned a DL 1000 for a few years and regret getting rid of it. It was just too big and heavy for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate a light bike with an eager midsized motor. I have a couple of questions for those of you who already own a T800.

1. I like to do all my own maintenance. How are the valves adjusted and how often? How are the cams driven?

2. Does the street version have better suspension than other on road bikes? In other words, will it suck up the harsh roads I ride better than a Speed Triple?

3. Is it easy or even possible to adjust preload on the rear shock?

Thanks
Andy

uconnapharm 05-02-2011 05:38 AM

Seats : UK vs USA
 
On the Triumph UK site , under Accessories , is listed an extra low seat.
On the Triumph USA site , under Accessories , that extra low seat is NOT listed.
Is this correct data , that the seat is available in UK and not USA ?

markbvt 05-02-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodys3b (Post 15809181)
1. I like to do all my own maintenance. How are the valves adjusted and how often? How are the cams driven?

Standard shim/bucket design, check every 12k miles. Chain-driven cams.

Quote:

2. Does the street version have better suspension than other on road bikes? In other words, will it suck up the harsh roads I ride better than a Speed Triple?
"Better" suspension, no, not compared to some of the higher-end suspension available on street bikes. But I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'll soak up bumpy roads better than a Speed Triple.

Quote:

3. Is it easy or even possible to adjust preload on the rear shock?
Yes.

--mark

bross 05-02-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbvt (Post 15810289)
Standard shim/bucket design, check every 12k miles. Chain-driven cams.



"Better" suspension, no, not compared to some of the higher-end suspension available on street bikes. But I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'll soak up bumpy roads better than a Speed Triple.



Yes.

--mark

Agreed about the suspension. Jodie's Street Triple R has very good suspension but it's not meant for crap roads. I've always believed a trailie is a way better bike for quick riding on most of our "normal" back roads. You know the ones, they're deserted, twisty, fun, but usually patched on the patches and bumpy. Fun roads, but not on a pure sport bike. And the kind of roads a Tiger 800 would be perfect for.

jimjim 05-02-2011 08:41 AM

Has anyone bought a service manual for the Tiger 800?

Dmarino 05-02-2011 08:46 AM

The Good
800 Mile update, bike is fantastic and getting 42 mpg under moderation aggressive riding. The oil leak was fixed by the dealer at the 500 mile service and all is well. I still can't get over how much power it makes at 3k. :D

The Bad
The windscreen is the most horrible thing ever created by man. I plan to modify it with my saw this evening and if I cant improve it I'm going to smash it to bits and then pee on it :defend. Yes I feel that strongly about it. For referance I'm 5ft9 and prefer having the seat on high as there is less turbulence and noise. My 33db quality earplugs just cant suppress what this screen generates.

gkgeiger 05-02-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmarino (Post 15810962)
The windscreen is the most horrible thing ever created by man. I plan to modify it with my saw this evening and if I cant improve it I'm going to smash it to bits and then pee on it :defend. Yes I feel that strongly about it.


:rofl:rofl:rofl

Lion BR 05-02-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmarino (Post 15810962)
The Good
800 Mile update, bike is fantastic and getting 42 mpg under moderation aggressive riding. The oil leak was fixed by the dealer at the 500 mile service and all is well. I still can't get over how much power it makes at 3k. :D

The Bad
The windscreen is the most horrible thing ever created by man. I plan to modify it with my saw this evening and if I cant improve it I'm going to smash it to bits and then pee on it :defend. Yes I feel that strongly about it. For referance I'm 5ft9 and prefer having the seat on high as there is less turbulence and noise. My 33db quality earplugs just cant suppress what this screen generates.

When I test rode the 800, I felt the same way. I'm 5ft10, seat on low, and although there wasn't huge turbulence, there was no clear air either.

Has anyone tested the larger, adjustable Triumph accessory screen for this bike?

Other than that, Dmarino, I'll be following your progress on achieving success in this department.

Lion

SlipChip 05-02-2011 09:25 AM

"Tall" seat
 
Has anyone received the "Tall" accessary seat yet?
Pix? Impressions?

levain 05-02-2011 10:18 AM

GPS mounts
 
What are you guys using? I have a locking Touratech mount for my zumo that I love. I can use it with a RAM, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Touratech has the bracket that I need, but I don't like the placement. What else is out there?

jimjim 05-02-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Williams (Post 15811736)
What are you guys using? I have a locking Touratech mount for my zumo that I love. I can use it with a RAM, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Touratech has the bracket that I need, but I don't like the placement. What else is out there?

I bought the Triumph accessory GPS mount made specifically for the Zumo 660 and bolted my Touratech mount to it. Made for a very clean install. The Triumph piece is high quality machined out of billet aluminum. Sorry I don't have a good picture of the mount itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._media_258.jpg

levain 05-02-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjim (Post 15812442)
I bought the Triumph accessory GPS mount made specifically for the Zumo 660 and bolted my Touratech mount to it. Made for a very clean install. The Triumph piece is high quality machined out of billet aluminum. Sorry I don't have a good picture of the mount itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._media_258.jpg

That looks pretty good. I just managed to find it on the ass backward Triumph site, but don't have the patience for the rigamarole again after losing it:huh Anyway, it said it was for the 660, but I could probably make it work. Is it adjustable? Up? down? sideways? What does it attach to? Mirror stalk?

jimjim 05-02-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Williams (Post 15812525)
That looks pretty good. I just managed to find it on the ass backward Triumph site, but don't have the patience for the rigamarole again after losing it:huh Anyway, it said it was for the 660, but I could probably make it work. Is it adjustable? Up? down? sideways? What does it attach to? Mirror stalk?

Yes you can pivot sideways and up down. It comes with a new clutch clamp that the mirror stalk bolts to. The horizontal piece of the mount slips over that and and the mirror stalk bolts on top of it to hold in place.

Here the instructions show it to you in detail:
http://triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9820001-US.pdf

markbvt 05-02-2011 12:32 PM

Or you could just attach a RAM mount to the handlebar. Much easier and cheaper.

Some folks over on the Tiger 800 forum have also figured out how to use RAM mounts on the windshield support bracket behind the instrument cluster. That way you can mount the GPS directly above the instruments.

--mark

ssmv650 05-02-2011 01:27 PM

how to lower the tiger 800 windshield angle 2$
 
1 Attachment(s)
I did this over the weekend and have removed 90% of the buffeting.
I bought 2 new stainless screws 1 inch long. and two nylon bushings.

These will be painted black in the future.

YMMV

Andrew


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015