ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How do you remove the front brake pads? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618708)

CHRIS_D 09-09-2010 04:39 PM

How do you remove the front brake pads?

Well I'm a bit embarrass :shog . I'm trying to replace my front brake pads on 08 ADV and I can't seem to remove the pin that holds the pads in the caliper. I have removed the one (only) clip that holds the pin in place, but can't figure out how to unscrew the pin out of the caliper. There's no head on pin to stick a hex wrench or screwdriver on. The rear brake pads have the "normal" two clip deal which once both clips are removed it makes it easy to remove the pin. What in world am I missing here on the front?

Thanks in advance!!

Johnf3 09-09-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
Well I'm a bit embarrass :shog . I'm trying to replace my front brake pads on 08 ADV and I can't seem to remove the pin that holds the pads in the caliper. I have removed the one (only) clip that holds the pin in place, but can't figure out how to unscrew the pin out of the caliper. There's no head on pin to stick a hex wrench or screwdriver on. The rear brake pads have the "normal" two clip deal which once both clips are removed it makes it easy to remove the pin. What in world am I missing here on the front?

Thanks in advance!!

They just tap out. Use a drift punch and a hammer. They should come right out.

thugdog 09-09-2010 06:12 PM

+1, firm but gentle tap, tap, tap

...also note, just in case you get super frustrated, please NEVER apply flame/heat after using brake cleaner spray!

flyingreg 09-09-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thugdog
<SNIP>

...also note, just in case you get super frustrated, please NEVER apply flame/heat after using brake cleaner spray!

LOL, the picture that went through my mind as I read that line, totally priceless.

CHRIS_D 09-10-2010 04:04 AM

Thanks for the replys!

I did try to push it out with a punch but didn't want to start hammering on it until I was sure.:D

bikepsych 02-16-2013 12:50 PM

Did you get it out?

DirtyADV 02-16-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikepsych (Post 20740402)
Did you get it out?

Sure hope so since it was 2 years since he posted.

/Johan

Sadlsor 02-19-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyADV (Post 20740856)
Sure hope so since it was 2 years since he posted.

/Johan

Ha! That's a good one.
But in the event he DIDN"T get the pin out, I'd bet he needs new rotors now, too... and pistons.

CHRIS_D 02-21-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadlsor (Post 20763389)
Ha! That's a good one.
But in the event he DIDN"T get the pin out, I'd bet he needs new rotors now, too... and pistons.

Yes I got the pin out.:lol3

bluesurf 09-04-2013 06:11 PM

:roflat this thread....I'm swapping my 990's out for the first time, and went through the same exercise of trying and not wanting to hammer too hard, so thought I'd consult the forum.

Thanks for the instrux & chuckles

DirtyADV 09-05-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesurf (Post 22256050)
Thanks for the instrux & chuckles

There is plenty of help to find and a few jokes here and there.

If you missed it look up "Aurel cable", see I got my own now when buying a new 990R :-)

/Johan

ciedema 09-05-2013 04:43 AM

I have to say that pin is the suckiest thing - makes a changing them when you are travelling just that little more difficult than it needs to be.

Sadlsor 09-05-2013 05:19 AM

Oh, and one more thing...

Whenever I change the brake pads, front or rear, I always put anti-seize on the pins before replacement.

I'm sure there are other chemical compounds that will work.

The pins always come out easily, once the small cotter pins are removed.

ciedema 09-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadlsor (Post 22258556)
Whenever I change the brake pads, front or rear, I always put anti-seize on the pins before replacement.

I'm sure there are other chemical compounds that will work.

The pins always come out easily, once the small cotter pins are removed.

With the right tools they out easily but as a traveller doing some where other than their garage it isn't as friendly as it could be. The rears are much better I just want to do it with the minimal of tools.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Oz Nutter 09-06-2013 03:32 AM

Love those pins....

I used a pin head punch to take out brake pin.
A tyre lever in between the pads is good too hold it steady, (place foot on lever)
I found my last replacement pads to be very tight when new, could hardly push bike!!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:28 AM.