ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Question on KTM's tank material (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62087)

meat popsicle 12-10-2004 12:11 AM

Question on KTM's tank material
 
Anyone know what KTM makes their tanks out of? Specifically the KTM 640 Adv.'s 27 liter tank. I am looking into repair materials and methods in the equipment forum.

I thought I read somewhere that Acerbis makes the tanks but I am not sure about this.

overlandr 12-10-2004 01:57 AM

Believe its Elkamet in Germany. Try these links.

http://int.elkamet.de/GF_D/manufacturing.shtml

http://www.elkamet.de/GF_D/sponsoring.shtml

Cat0020 12-10-2004 05:46 AM

Both main tanks on my 2000 660 Rallye and 2002 LC4 Adv. have Acerbis stamped on them..

Loadedagain 12-10-2004 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Both main tanks on my 2000 660 Rallye and 2002 LC4 Adv. have Acerbis stamped on them..

mine too :wave

meat popsicle 12-10-2004 08:22 AM

Alright.... so what does Acerbis make its tanks out of... PA, PC, PE... what?

MTBE - mentioned - thought that was a flame retardant used in furniture:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Aftermarket...rbis%20Details

" HPN Tanks made by Acerbis : 43 liters (11.3 gal.), in white, red, blue, black or transparent for 735 to 998 DM and 148 DM for installation kit. Made of non-paintable material ("Philipps CL 50"), so you have to stick with these colors here. The HPN tank is also available in a Nylon-material (paintable), for 1048 DM plus the installation kit. These tanks have a fill sleeve that stucks out of the tank, so mounting a tank bag may be more difficult as usual (Same as with R 100 GS PD). You cannot check the oil level with tank on the bike. It only takes about 2 minutes to get the tank off. "
http://www.micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_acces.html

another with same info as above:
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/gastank.review.html

- Hmmm, nylon - that does sound right for what you see under the paint :cry :lol3 - does that sound right? :ear

markjenn 12-10-2004 02:12 PM

What failed?

Mine has a failed right "ear" (that mates to the right/upper support donut) - the previous owner said it started leaking after a crash. He epoxied it and removed the mount from the bike to not put any further pressure on it. I went further and shimmed/padded the frame backbone to use the tank's saddle hump to further distribute the load. It seems to be a premanent fix - no problems in many thousands of miles.

- Mark

meat popsicle 12-10-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn
What failed?

Mine has a failed right "ear" (that mates to the right/upper support donut) - the previous owner said it started leaking after a crash. He epoxied it and removed the mount from the bike to not put any further pressure on it. I went further and shimmed/padded the frame backbone to use the tank's saddle hump to further distribute the load. It seems to be a premanent fix - no problems in many thousands of miles.

- Mark

No failure, just some cosmetic repairs after my asphault inspection. :evil

See: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62059

I am looking to repair some scratches and minor gouges from a slide prior to repainting. So if you know, is the tank nylon??? :ear

If you do have trouble with that you might want to find a plastic welder to fix it for ya. Supposedly a good job will be good as new! :thumb

rapiti 12-10-2004 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
No failure, just some cosmetic repairs after my asphault inspection. :evil

See: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62059

I am looking to repair some scratches and minor gouges from a slide prior to repainting. So if you know, is the tank nylon??? :ear

If you do have trouble with that you might want to find a plastic welder to fix it for ya. Supposedly a good job will be good as new! :thumb

Mine is painted, and I have always believed it to be nylon. Not positive, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

meat popsicle 12-10-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapiti
Mine is painted, and I have always believed it to be nylon. Not positive, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ah, a "faith-based" response... :lol3

Seriously though, with the paint off :cry and the scrapes and gouges :cry :cry it looks like nylon...

to an untrained eye. :rolleyes

ChrisC 12-10-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Alright.... so what does Acerbis make its tanks out of... PA, PC, PE... what?

MTBE - mentioned - thought that was a flame retardant used in furniture:

Hey Carne de Palo,

MTBE is Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether, it's an octane booster recently banned for contaminating groundwater....

Still not sure what our tanks are made of (laminated Austrian gnome skins?)...

CC

meat popsicle 12-10-2004 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisC
Hey Carne de Palo,

MTBE is Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether, it's an octane booster recently banned for contaminating groundwater....

Still not sure what our tanks are made of (laminated Austrian gnome skins?)...

CC

Oopsie, I was thinkin of PBDE... can't even claim dislexia! :lol3

I am guessing nylon - Australian gnomes are not so tough!

Scoot Jockey 12-10-2004 11:01 PM

Mr. Popsicle,

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading on the German forum that our tanks are made of a P6 composite. I would bet that traditional auto body fillers(bondo,glazing compound) would work on it though, or you could add some material through plastic welding, and sand down the area a bit to feather it out over a slightly larger area. Personally, I think it would be interesting to try my hand at making some carbon fiber guards to cover the damaged areas.

Good Luck

Scoot Jockey

rapiti 12-11-2004 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Ah, a "faith-based" response... :lol3

Seriously though, with the paint off :cry and the scrapes and gouges :cry :cry it looks like nylon...

to an untrained eye. :rolleyes

Go nude :eek1

meat popsicle 12-11-2004 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapiti
Go nude :eek1

I am not taking all the paint off my tank rapiti... :lol3

that is way too much work for a fashion statement.

Happe 12-11-2004 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Alright.... so what does Acerbis make its tanks out of... PA, PC, PE... what?

Hi Meat,

the Adventure Tank is from PA.

The Rally tank and also the rear tanks are made from PE.

Epoxi based fillers schould work for a little while on the Adventure tanks, if you really have to remove the marks of honour :wink:

cheers

Stefan


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014