ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Another tire thread - Best Front offroad tire for 640 Adventure? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62760)

gybeman 12-16-2004 08:28 AM

Another tire thread - Best Front offroad tire for 640 Adventure?

I'm running MT21's now which are a very good compromise, but what has everyone found to be the best front for knarly, rutted, muddy offroad? I do not find the front end to feel as planted as my bud's 640 enduro in the woods, but he is running Michelin s-12 (maybe m-12) which I will definitely swap the front for.
Looking at the frame specs there is only a 1/2 degree difference in castor or rake (don't have the specs in front of me), and forks are 1 or 2mm larger on the adventure, with everything else about the same, but his bikes front feels and turns like a DRZ400 by comparison. I've raised the fork tubes up to 10mm with little improvement. (even with a light fuel load)
I'm even considering different triple clamps if the Michelin doesn't help. The idea is to get it to turn better at lower speeds, as I don't have 90mph desert where I live.

Alchemist 12-16-2004 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=gybeman]I'm running MT21's now which are a very good compromise, but what has everyone found to be the best front for knarly, rutted, muddy offroad? I do not find the front end to feel as planted as my bud's 640 enduro in the woods, but he is running Michelin s-12 (maybe m-12) which I will definitely swap the front for.
[QUOTE]

I swap to an s12 if I am doing purely trail bike riding. They grip very well. No way on earth would I ever use this tyre on hard ground or tar. They are lethal.

I'm trying a T63 on the front and Desert on the rear. But so far no "knarly, rutted, muddy off road. I'll let you know :thumb

DevDel 12-16-2004 06:22 PM

MT 18 or MT 16 will do the trick. The 18 is avaiable with a 3 ply carcass. It's usually listed as a "HD" version.

Dev

gybeman 12-17-2004 08:22 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to take another look at the Pirellis... hey Alchemist... a lethal knobbie? I've ridden many miles with real knobbies on pavement, and other than being real bad when they are new and greasy, I don't mind power sliding around a bit. After the knobs start to round off the traction always got much better (except in the wet of course). Is that what you mean, or are we talking front end washout, no warning crashing ? The knobs are spaced very wide, but my bud's somewhat worn m-12 didn't seem too bad... even pulled off a couple low speed stoppies on pavement.

Rootkiller 12-17-2004 02:21 PM

Michelin's are great for soft muddy stuff but the side knobs chunk pretty easy and the are really easy to pinch flat. There are probably better all around off road tires for a heavier four stroke. I prefer the dunlop 756 since it is not nearly as easy to pinch flat and grips almost as well as an s 12 or m12 in the mud yet I thinl it grips alot better on hardpack. Tire are like Aholes, everyone has there own.

Loadedagain 12-17-2004 02:36 PM

people who start these threads should be banned :boid

dunlop d606 for me.

meat popsicle 12-17-2004 04:31 PM

Taste's Great!!!

no really, good info for the less experienced. :nod

GODSPEED 12-17-2004 04:40 PM

Less Filling! :1drink

I want the perfect tire too. :nod

markjenn 12-17-2004 05:16 PM

The Adv carries a ton (well not literally) more weight on the front than the enduro model. The difference in feel could be more this than the tire.

I'd be hesitant to go any more knobby than a MT-21 on the front unless the riding was 100% dirt.

- Mark

DevDel 12-17-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn
The Adv carries a ton (well not literally) more weight on the front than the enduro model. The difference in feel could be more this than the tire.

I'd be hesitant to go any more knobby than a MT-21 on the front unless the riding was 100% dirt.

- Mark

Mark has a good point. Have you ever wrassled your ADV around a berm...holy shit, it just wants to go straight over the top!

The MT18 HD will support the ADV just fine. BUT, your braking distance on pavement will be scary. It is only for connecting trails, not for commuting to work. They are DOT, with a 103 or 106 MPH rating.

As for the rest of these guys, they actually think the D606 is really an off road tire :freaky :rofl

Dev

dirtydeeds 12-17-2004 07:23 PM

Whatever you choose, get something wider than OEM. With lots of knobs.

My experience:
My front (full offroad, not DOT approved) has knobs perpindicular to the bikes line of travel. Everytime a row makes contact with pavement there is a small vibration (at highway speed it is ridiculous) Next time I will get a tire with offset knobs, which hopefully will lessen the vibration.

Alchemist 12-19-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Head Fred
Mark has a good point. Have you ever wrassled your ADV around a berm...holy shit, it just wants to go straight over the top!

I did an off road course when I got the Adventure (with the S12's). Stoppies :thumb , hill climbs :thumb , popping wheelies (almost :thumb I just suck), but berms and ruts :eek1

It was hilarious. All these motocrossers screaming around and my Adventure bursting through and ruining perfectly good ruts and berms. :lol3 It was like a tank busting through the enemy lines. Dirt and dust flying everywhere. You get respect by just having a go though. They took bets on heavy my bike was :D

creeper 12-19-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Head Fred

Dev

:D
Trying to steer an Adventure with the front wheel... this only results in looking at the apex... while riding straight thru and perpendicular to the outer radius, as if drawn by giant hidden magnets. The end result of which is laughter from anyone within viewing distance... if your lucky.

Any time I've forgotten what I was riding, and tried to steer in the more conventional way... I've gone off at a tangent to the desired direction of travel, the angle of which was determined by the tightness of my sphincter, the number of people watching from behind me (with cameras), and the distance of the drop-off beyond the outside of the corner to the inevitable... bottom.

The only reliable, consistant steering device on an Adventure, at any speed above 10 mph, is the right grip... turned sharply counter-clockwise.

Velocibiker 12-23-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
The only reliable, consistant steering device on an Adventure, at any speed above 10 mph, is the right grip... turned sharply counter-clockwise.

:thumb

OTOH - I've found weighting the pegs and turning with the shoulders works wonders for getting the land tanker turned quickly. But yeah, it's not nimble in any sense of the word, but it can be done.

A bit OT - but since my wife got her DRZ, I've riding it and my Adv back to back in a couple places just as an experiment. Some notes: DRZ is like a feather compared to the Adv! Power and all around 'planted' feeling are better on the Adv. I won't dare the Adv in some places I've ridden the DRZ. Adv feels better on landings. Adv, runs though ugly rocks better than the DRZ. DRZ is a really fun bike and a perfect choice for my wife. I have yet to test the DRZs road manners, but I sure enjoy the Adv in the twisties.

neduro 12-23-2004 07:51 PM

The point about sidewall strength is a good one. Softer tires (like the S12) work fine in dirt, but will pinch flat very easily in rocks. A few tires that do have sufficient sidewall for the Adv are:

Dun 606
Dun 739 FAJ (the J is important)
Dun 755 (softer but great in mixed conditions)

I presume the Michelin Baja and Desert are stiff as well but have no direct experience.

The Kenda Millville seems to be stiff enough to work, but I haven't run one yet.

HTH

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:56 PM.