ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Tubeless spoke wheels for F800GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634150)

The Jinx 11-02-2010 10:14 PM

Tubeless spoke wheels for F800GS

Hi

Is there any inmates using tubeless spoke wheels on F800GS?

What make is the wheels?

Any significant advantage tube vs tubeless vice versa?

Do U have pics of it?

Thanks & regards
sbw

ride2little 11-03-2010 02:21 PM

Hi.
I personally have not gone down that road. But here is a thread which talks about it somewhat.
I'd much prefer a 1200GS-like design rather than just sealed nipples. But it's a start.

Ride safe...

tmex 11-03-2010 07:21 PM

You could sent your wheels to Woody and have him lace a set of HP2 rims to them.

markymcd 11-04-2010 11:47 AM

Woody has laced a Exel Takasago rim to an 800 hub for me and made it tubeless.

Law Dawg (ret) 11-04-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmex
You could sent your wheels to Woody and have him lace a set of HP2 rims to them.

Is there a Paul Harvey moment here T...does Woody do this for the F8?

tmex 11-04-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Is there a Paul Harvey moment here T...does Woody do this for the F8?

He can do anything when it comes to wheels. The HP2 rims are the only 21"/17" combo I know of that that are cross spoked which is the best way to go tubeless with a spoked wheel.

MCMXCIVRS 11-04-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

He can do anything when it comes to wheels. The HP2 rims are the only 21"/17" combo I know of that that are cross spoked which is the best way to go tubeless with a spoked wheel.

The question though is, will they work with the 800 hubs. I've been wanting to go to the cross spoke wheels too for the tublessnessbessmess :D I hadn't considered the HP2 rims. I figured perhaps a rim from an older airhead GS for the front 21" and a newer oil/hexhead rear 17" rim might work, but the big question on getting the spokes and hubs to match is the uncertainty.

tmex 11-04-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
The question though is, will they work with the 800 hubs. I've been wanting to go to the cross spoke wheels too for the tublessnessbessmess :D I hadn't considered the HP2 rims. I figured perhaps a rim from an older airhead GS for the front 21" and a newer oil/hexhead rear 17" rim might work, but the big question on getting the spokes and hubs to match is the uncertainty.

I don't see any reason whatever why the HP2 rims would not lace right up. What are you worried about - the spokes clearing the rotors or perhaps the rear sprocket?

MCMXCIVRS 11-04-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

I don't see any reason whatever why the HP2 rims would not lace right up. What are you worried about - the spokes clearing the rotors or perhaps the rear sprocket?

More like the number of spokes, the angle of the holes in the hub, the correct style and length of spoke being available and the issues you mentioned.

Deffinitly a bit of research needed, plus someone who is skilled at such work, which I am deffinitly not. :huh

tmex 11-04-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
More like the number of spokes, the angle of the holes in the hub, the correct style and length of spoke being available and the issues you mentioned.

Deffinitly a bit of research needed, plus someone who is skilled at such work, which I am deffinitly not. :huh

Few people have the skill to work with cross spoked wheels - me included. I believe all the wheels in question have 40 spokes. I will double check this weekend since I have both bikes in the same place where I am headed. I would be less concerned about the other issues since they can be overcome. Hey, I did not say it would be cheap, just an option which should be checked out. Personally, I prefer the tubed tires off road for a number of reasons. The biggest one being the ability to air down to lower pressures than tubeless.

MCMXCIVRS 11-05-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Few people have the skill to work with cross spoked wheels - me included. I believe all the wheels in question have 40 spokes. I will double check this weekend since I have both bikes in the same place where I am headed. I would be less concerned about the other issues since they can be overcome. Hey, I did not say it would be cheap, just an option which should be checked out. Personally, I prefer the tubed tires off road for a number of reasons. The biggest one being the ability to air down to lower pressures than tubeless.

:thumb

raider 11-05-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Really? What, 5psi? At pressures low enough to worry about tubed tyres unseating, you have to worry instead about tubes getting pinched (for exactly the same reasons).

This is neutral ground for the two types of tyre, IMHO. In 2010, the advantage of tubes over tubeless is one, and one only - lower manufacturing costs.

Waco 11-05-2010 05:00 PM

I can plug a tubeless tire and be back on the road in minutes. I think that's a huge advantage over tube tires.

EnderTheX 11-05-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I can plug a tubeless tire and be back on the road in minutes. I think that's a huge advantage over tube tires.

Plugs rarely hold and are not a good permanent fix... A new tube can be done quickly too and is a good permanent fix. :D

Waco 11-05-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Plugs rarely hold and are not a good permanent fix...

They have held for thousands of miles, in my experience.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 AM.