ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BMW R1150RT Brake Rant (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6356)

fish 08-21-2002 08:52 PM

BMW R1150RT Brake Rant

[rant]I'm pissed at BMW. I've got some issues with my RT that bmwscruz is doing an adequate job of addressing. But I'm pissed at BMW because of their stance on the RT brake issue. They redesigned the rear ABS modulator and cut it into new production some time back. But this doesn't piss me off. What pisses me off is that a particular individual over at mrn posted the TSB about the RT brakes, and BMWNA is coming down hard on him. I can't fucking believe it. They issued a recall for the 1150GS brakeline potentially rubbing on the speedo cable, but not a single word publicly about how the integral ABS senses rear wheel lock-up and releases the front wheel, causing some massive ass-puckering. I've experienced this time and time again, and have grown used to taking it easy in the downhill bumpy stuff, but I don't want to anymore. These are the best brakes in the world and should work as advertised. Too, what I've found is only the most aggressive RT riders complain about this. Average riders only see the massive stopping power in the brakes, but don't take them to the limit necessary to override the design. I wish I could be like that.

Shit...now the blue and white roundel helicopters are going to start watching me.

Can you believe my friend actually got a "cease and desist" letter
from BMWNA to take the image of the RT brake TSB off his website?
[/rant]

:pissed :boid

Moot 08-21-2002 08:55 PM

Re: BMW Rant

Quote:

Originally posted by fish
[rant]I'm pissed at BMW. [/rant]

:pissed :boid
Easy bud... sounds like your ready to blow! (a fuse) :rofl

Rod 08-21-2002 09:05 PM

I too was shocked too here

I too was very shocked too here that my fellow BMW RT owners in the Good OLD US of A can not get the same level of service as myself over this brake issue.
The UPDATED brake modulator that Fish and others have read about in the that BWM realesed TSB...FIXED my brake issue.
To read that some one hass been singled out about this for making other's a where of a potential safty issue .....is nothing short of insanity
BMW get off your lazy ASS and fix IT NOW!!!!!!!!:mad?:mad?

stevenknapp 08-21-2002 09:58 PM

I'm a pussy rider, and my commute to and from work has a half dozen places where the brakes act as you describe. Takes nothing more than the usual "agressive" in traffic stop and a couple Chitown expansion joints.

As far as your friend getting fucked by BMW, perhaps a note to the press? MCN seems pretty up on publishing this type of stuff.

BMW sucks. But the build one nice bike...right? :):

freaking RT 08-22-2002 07:00 AM

maybe a class action suit on the ABS would get their attention :dunno

Chopperman 08-22-2002 11:03 AM

how about a little guerilla tactic? take the info, with pics, set it up with simple HTML tags and hand it out to anyone interested. Between all the free sites, my own site, various site I am affiliated with...I bet I could have a dozen copies up in an hour. multiply that by say a thousand users....

and are thsoe actual BMW amnufactired brakes? or some brembo item?

fish 08-22-2002 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chopperman
and are thsoe actual BMW amnufactired brakes? or some brembo item?
The calipers are made by Brembo, even though they are BMW branded. Who makes the ABS modulator? :dunno F.A.G., I think. Is that correct Woofy? :):

Chopperman 08-22-2002 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fish

The calipers are made by Brembo, even though they are BMW branded. Who makes the ABS modulator? :dunno F.A.G., I think. Is that correct Woofy? :):
besides I dont think they can stop you from posting pictures of your own bike that you took. and they certainly cant prevent you from posting your evaluations, opinions, etc. as long as you arent slanderous or libelous (which I would have to re-look up the definitions of. I think it is the diference between "Fish is an embezzling sodomite" and "In my opinion, Fish is an embezzling sodomite"

fish 08-22-2002 11:55 AM

I thought for sure there was a thread on the Integral ABS technical service bulletin, but I just cannot find it. Any ideas?

freaking RT 08-22-2002 11:55 AM

if anybody has a copy of the BMW Service Bulletin 34 001 02 (012) concerning the brakes, please send me a copy. I may need it for future reference.

thanks

Rod 08-22-2002 03:02 PM

try these

brake links

links and this

HardCoreCommute 08-22-2002 05:11 PM

What about getting the NHTSA involved? Anybody know if Arch or anyone else has complained to these guys? My concern is that during a collision-avoidance panic stop, a little bump in the road will cause BOTH brakes to cycle the ABS. I've had this happen once or twice. Mostly I don't ride aggressive enough to make the ABS engage. What are the ramifcations of posting a complaint to the FEDs?

Here's the site that I found:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

stevenknapp 08-22-2002 05:42 PM

The NHTSA is probably the best bet. If every person who had issues with this filed, it would get *someones* attention.

fish 08-22-2002 05:55 PM

Re: try these

Quote:

Originally posted by Rod
brake links

links and this
i really wish you'd STOP that shit :arg

i had to float through a bazillion mrn posts to find absofuckinglutely nothing. I want a copy of the TSB,
can someone just send it to me? Or even a transcribed version.

fish 08-22-2002 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stevenknapp
The NHTSA is probably the best bet. If every person who had issues with this filed, it would get *someones* attention.
Imo play nice first and let's see what happens. I can get really really ugly if I want to http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/cont...o/sasmokin.gif

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 AM.