ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Some Assembly Required (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644390)

sanjoh 12-17-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrocks (Post 14719027)
might see ya in the yukon, you can check it out.

Sounds great, we've got a rat pack o ninjas headed to AK in early June from South FL.

A_Vasiliev 12-17-2010 06:53 PM

Agreed, the Versys front end looks much better in general, and especially for any semblance of off-road use.

Hmmm... what else can they be...

jdrocks 12-17-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjoh (Post 14725221)
Sounds great, we've got a rat pack o ninjas headed to AK in early June from South FL.

been up that way a couple times. PM for route suggestions. good to go now, there are competing NG pipelines that are scheduled to start in the next year or so in YT and NWT, plus the shale gas project in northern BC. going to change that countryside forever. a plus for jobs and the canadian economy, but not good if you like the wild. a review of the Mackenzie pipeline in todays WSJ.

eventually, there might be a new road or two up there to ride.

jdrocks 12-17-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Vasiliev (Post 14725254)
Agreed, the Versys front end looks much better in general, and especially for any semblance of off-road use.

versys front end on a 650R frame looks like this. works great.

http://jdrocks.smugmug.com/photos/975678522_Hcwt6-M.jpg

A_Vasiliev 12-17-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrocks (Post 14725373)
versys front end on a 650R frame looks like this. works great.

She's a beaut!

C'mon, gimme a hint as to what those aluminum tubes are for :evil

dentvet 12-17-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrocks (Post 14718503)

a couple interesting things as i was looking the frame over. at the frame stem was a big glob of weld that did not contact the rest of the assembly. looked like the robot was not quite programmed correctly. WTF?

http://jdrocks.smugmug.com/photos/11...53_kDobs-M.jpg

so i looked at the ninja frame and it was fabbed the same way. that joint was not welded on either frame. hmmm, might clean it up and run a bead across there.

looks like there is a structural element under there that is welded to the crossmember, afterwhich those stamped plates were added. two layers thick welded at different times, probably normal. looks sloppy though

6USMC6 12-17-2010 08:14 PM

So much for robot welders.

I've seen kids in high school that could do a better - and neater - job.

OaklandStrom 12-17-2010 09:05 PM

Great thread!

I've watched your builds, and rad the ride reports. Thanks for doing this one on ADV.

Are most of your non-custom parts from eBay? Craigslist?

jdrocks 12-18-2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentvet (Post 14725623)
looks like there is a structural element under there that is welded to the crossmember, afterwhich those stamped plates were added. two layers thick welded at different times, probably normal. looks sloppy though

i'm going to final prep the frame today for paint, so i'll need to decide whether to weld it shut. i'm going to poke a piece of .035 under there to see what it hits. that glob of weld might be on the bottom of a positioning tab from the assembly jig. there's more than one ugly weld on that frame.

jdrocks 12-18-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6USMC6 (Post 14725794)
So much for robot welders.

I've seen kids in high school that could do a better - and neater - job.

hey mike, whatcha doing straying from orange city to the cheap as dirt rat bike section? maybe you need a lower ride height rat ninja version for your trip to Labrador. here's the old bike below the Churchill River on phase 3 of the trans lab.

http://jdrocks.smugmug.com/photos/10...58_my3nQ-M.jpg

agree with you on some of the welding you see on these frames. i could teach my grand daughter to do better in about 15 minutes. maybe less.

Laconic 12-18-2010 05:33 AM

Subscibing to this thread in the hopes of learning something.

:lurk

jdrocks 12-18-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackett (Post 14726135)
I've watched your builds, and rad the ride reports. Thanks for doing this one on ADV.

Are most of your non-custom parts from eBay? Craigslist?

glad you enjoy the read.

it takes a lot of patient research to find both bikes and parts cheap, and can be an incredibly frustrating process. you find yourself trying to conduct some straightforward business with people who rarely return phone calls, texts, or emails, are always very late, flip flop on prices, and almost never actually follow through with what they promise to do. if you can negotiate your way through that freakin' minefield without going nuts or shooting someone, there's often a smokin' deal on the other side.

the parts bike for this build was a craigslist bike advertised and cancelled off and on for a month. it was my second choice bike after the first seller completely flaked. i might not have shot that guy, but i wouldn't have minded taking a ball bat to him. once i got the bike home and looked it over under the bright lights, i decided that i got the better deal on my second choice bike.

these deals are finalized on the spot for cash money. you need to know what you're looking at and be prepared to act. blink and the deal is long gone.

lastly, you need the right paperwork with your purchases. all my junk has it. no paperwork, no sale.

sanjoh 12-18-2010 05:55 AM

What are your goals for this build? Is it just for the exercise? Or did your previous builds not meet your expectations?

John

jdrocks 12-18-2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjoh (Post 14727517)
What are your goals for this build? Is it just for the exercise? Or did your previous builds not meet your expectations?

John

maybe just evolution, i thought the old bikes did real well. out riding around on these things, i automatically think of changes and improvements. so, some of the areas i want to address are suspension, fuel capacity, seat, riding position, lights, wheels, fairing, wiring/switches, gravel guard, weight, color...basically build a new bike with a new look.

keeps me occupied over the winter. i hate winter.

how many riders with you to the northwest? rat ninjas all?

juames 12-18-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrocks (Post 14724477)

Carb flanges?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:28 AM.