ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651357)

Ian B 01-12-2011 07:29 PM

New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites

1 Attachment(s)
I'ts been a couple of months in the making, but we have now completed the new Lynx for the 690. If ever there was a bike that benefits from the Lynx it has to be this bike.

The upper half of the fairing sticks closely to the other Lynx models and shares the same Hella rally lights and sliding screen system. However, the lower part is designed to match in with the KTM front fenders and the fairing convieniently mounts to the two threaded holes already there on the top of the bottom triple clamp.

Fitting is pretty straight forward with no drilling or alteration to the bike and the OEM turnsignals are retained in the stock position

Cost is the same as the other Lynx's at $465 and details will be up on the website shortly. Units will be available in about 10 days.

Here's some pics

Ian B 01-12-2011 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another .........

BajaDave 01-12-2011 11:25 PM

Nice job Ian, looks great!

Jasext 01-13-2011 01:36 AM

Very different and very nice :clap.

How much in total shipped to the uk ?

CHRIS_D 01-13-2011 03:43 AM

That's nice!!!

rickypanecatyl 01-13-2011 03:51 AM

Looks great Ian! Thanks for putting that together for us :lol3.

What light options are there for the fairing? If HID are they street legal? Any chance you have or could make a HID Bi-xenon projector beam option? I'd love to have 100 watts of street legal HID power!

Mr. Fisherman 01-13-2011 08:41 AM

I am sure the HID option will be available for this one. I have them in my Lynx fairing on my WR250X and I have never had better lighting on a bike, ever.
The stock Lynx lights are reported to be very very good but I have been VERY impressed with the HIDs in mine. I never had the halogens to compare to.

Ian B 01-13-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl (Post 14929428)
Looks great Ian! Thanks for putting that together for us :lol3.

What light options are there for the fairing? If HID are they street legal? Any chance you have or could make a HID Bi-xenon projector beam option? I'd love to have 100 watts of street legal HID power!

Same light options as on the other Lynx fairings ie, HID upgrade on one or both lights. The standard halogen lights are DOT approved and this is stamped on the bottom of the lenses. It not legal to change ANY bulb in a headlight, but having DOT stamped on the lamps and the fact that the lights are virtually identical to Hellas HID version, mean that it would be a difficult call to tell them apart. There has never been a problem with the law as far as I am aware and unlike some HID conversions, these remain very focused and don't throw light all over the place, blinding other drivers.

That said, the standard Halogens will be about 5 times brighter than the OEM light and be similar to the light given off by a small car. HID will up that by about 40% and be a much whiter/daylight type light.

The Hella 90mm bi-exeon will fit straight in, but each light costs nerly as much as the fairing !! $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Frankly, not really worth it.

Ian

Roadracer_Al 01-13-2011 11:50 PM

Ian, how does the new 690 Lynx fairing mount?

Does it utilize the OEM fairing mounting lugs, OEM holes in the lower triple, or is there drilling & tapping to do?

I have one of the "generic" Lynx fairings with HID low-beam and Halogen hi-beam, and it's a truly great setup for light, especially given how poor the OEM light is.

Knobbiethrower 01-14-2011 12:29 AM

Speaking to Ian, he also mentioned this will be an easy adaptation to my 2008 KTM 530 too.

CHRIS_D 01-14-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al (Post 14937777)

Does it utilize the OEM fairing mounting lugs, OEM holes in the lower triple, or is there drilling & tapping to do?

I have one of the "generic" Lynx fairings with HID low-beam and Halogen hi-beam, and it's a truly great setup for light, especially given how poor the OEM light is.

Does the HID stay on when you use your halogen high beam?

Ian B 01-14-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al (Post 14937777)

One of the motivating factors in creating a KTM specific Lynx, was to make the fitting of the bottom of the fairing much easier and to avoid having to drill any holes or fit some sort of bracket.

So, the bottom of the fairing locates straight onto those two threaded holes on the top of the bottom triple. In fact the bottom of the fairing is like a 'tongue', that fits under the plastic shield and on top of the triple. The plastic shield and all other OEM parts (including the indicators and speedo platform) all remain in place, which makes this instalation much more straightforward than on some Lynx versions. Not having to deal with the ignition switch also makes for an easier and quicker instal.

Ian

Ian B 01-14-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D (Post 14939327)
Does the HID stay on when you use your halogen high beam?

All of our fairings are wired the same way. The low beam remains on when high is selected. This is the case for any of the light combos. Speaking of which, some may be concerned about the power draw of two 65w halogens on the standard setup. The Lynx has been fitted to quite a lot of 690's now and it appears the bike cope with the standard halogens with no problem. However, guys who operate heated clothing in northern climes, would be advised to consider HID (35w draw) on at least on the low beam, to save some juice for the clothing

Ian B 01-14-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower (Post 14937879)
Speaking to Ian, he also mentioned this will be an easy adaptation to my 2008 KTM 530 too.

I am checking it out today, but I am pretty sure that the two holes that are present on the top of the bottom triple are a standard width apart on the 450 and 530's. If so, this fairing will fit accross the KTM range. I will also be checking out ignition positions and indicators, so that we can produce a 'generic KTM' Lynx as well as the 690 specific one.

Ian

Para504 01-14-2011 09:18 AM

Very nicely done Ian! Looks like a great match for the 690 & wish I had it for the TAT...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 PM.