ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   (Not so new now)NEW! ALPHA Ignition System. Anyone used one on their Airhead (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660613)

Hunsta 02-16-2011 01:47 AM

(Not so new now)NEW! ALPHA Ignition System. Anyone used one on their Airhead

Just ordered a coil from these guys and came across this on their site. Think its about 2 years old now, but has anyone installed one of these on there Airhead?
http://www.motoelekt.com/alpha.htm
Wouldnt mind knowing how well it works
Cheers
Craig

The Raven 02-16-2011 03:41 AM

Rick knows his stuff. He ran points until he built that. The nice thing is that it's completely rebuildable....unlike the OE unit....and less expensive

Hunsta 02-16-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Raven (Post 15202556)
Rick knows his stuff. He ran points until he built that. The nice thing is that it's completely rebuildable....unlike the OE unit....and less expensive

Seems like a step in the right direction. Rebuilbable is a great thing.

nowhereman 02-16-2011 04:40 AM

http://nowhereman.smugmug.com/Other/...45_ytjps-L.jpg

I have one - bought it after my OEM bean can packed it in at 28k miles. So far so good. I bought one of the very early models, it had issues with ignition mapping (surging, popping, stumbling off idle). Nice thing is, Rick has supported his product 110%. Everytime he had a new revision of the black box / ignition controller, he sent me one fed ex. I'm now on what I think should be the final revision and the thing runs great.

Don't worry about it - it is a really good product and you'll be happy with it. Oh, and in addition to all the above, Rick has a dual plug box now. If you have all your other gear (dual plug heads, coils, etc.) you simply plug in the dual plug controller and away you go - dual spark without the fuss of cracking open your old bean can for modifications. :wink:

CurlyMike 02-16-2011 05:50 AM

I have one, and I ride it everyday. So far so really good. Rick is a great source as well...

I also did the diode board upgrade at the same time.:clap

Stagehand 02-16-2011 06:03 AM

I have one as well. Its essentially not noticeably different functionally from OEM in the slightest except its $300 instead of $500, and as said, its rebuildable.
Its a good solid piece of gear, effectively making the OEM obsolete, unless youre a total BMW purist and must have only original crap.

Actually- I will say that its probably functionally better than OEM, because the advance unit is now electronic as opposed to the stock's mechanical,, where the springs and lilbits could break or wear out eventually. So now that it has no moving parts it should be pretty much impervious to the ravages of time except for extremes of heat.

Hunsta 02-17-2011 09:20 PM

thanks guys. Sounds like a must do mod.
Craig

baldwithglasses 02-18-2011 08:39 AM

Here's my $.02 :

Love it.

My 1982 R65 shat three of the OEM beancans and left me stranded in Savannah Georgia. Rick cut me a sweetheart deal AND overnighted an Alpha unit to me so I could get back home. I rode that unit out to Phoenix, rode around in the 115 degree heat, and brought 'er back home to the Southeast. Since then, Rick has mailed me the upgraded black box with the remapped ignition curve.

Not one hiccup. No goofy timing issues. It Just Works.

I also run his Omega system, so I drink that Kool-Ade. I'm grateful for Rick's service and expertise.

Beemerguru 02-18-2011 09:28 AM

Have 2..getting ready to get a third. No problems or issues

luxlogs 07-20-2011 02:28 PM

I did find a performance improvement on my R65, seems to smooth out the vibs at 4K.

squish 11-18-2012 01:10 AM

Now that it's been around I'm guessing that no ones had complaints...

boxerboy81 11-18-2012 02:10 AM

Howdy Hunsta.
There's a bloke in QLD (Bulldust is his Adv name) that has also developed a similar thing. It's called Red Centre Ignition.

BeardThrone 11-18-2012 03:21 PM

Using the stock "bean can" I had developed a low RPM stumble after it warmed up. Installed the Alpha system yesterday and it fixed it. Also, I like the fact that you can rebuild it instead of the more expensive BMW "maintenance free" i.e. "replace often".

_cy_ 11-18-2012 03:42 PM

an excellent system if you want to spend $300. field serviceable halls sensor is a huge advantage. Halls going out is the most common point of failure for airhead electronic ignitions.

one of, if not the best alternative is a Beancan with points. find em for $35-$155 range, but they are getting harder to find. then add $65 for Dyna high performance 3 ohm coil.

found mine for $35 off ebay from someone that listed it as parts. since beancan with points are just about bombproof. buyitnow and it was mine. with green Dyna coil = $100 total cost for me to convert 81 R80G/S away from prone to failure OEM airhead electronic ignitions.

Stagehand 11-18-2012 06:43 PM

THere's no way youre going to get me to jinx my so far perfectly functional ALpha bean can by lauding its praises.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:40 AM.