ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   damned neutral switch again!!! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661543)

One Less Harley 02-19-2011 11:06 AM

damned neutral switch again!!!

Yep, yearly leaking neutral switch on the G/S. Replaced it when I had the tranny out then it leaked less than a year later. Replaced it early last year (Max replaced it), now it's leaking again. Looks like I'll be plugging the thing.

elmontanero 02-19-2011 11:41 AM

Mine was working fine till the rebuild, now no love. And yeah... after the rebuild, with sealant from the builder, leaks.

bgoodsoil 02-19-2011 12:33 PM

I'm plugging mine. Which reminds me, I need to return the one Datchew loaned me.

datchew 02-19-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgoodsoil (Post 15229040)
I'm plugging mine. Which reminds me, I need to return the one Datchew loaned me.

Yes you do. I was wondering where that went. And bring me a slinger if you have any laying around. Not the repops mind you. Those are apparently junk.

wirewrkr 02-19-2011 01:06 PM

I had an idea, (yeah, yeah, why didn't it die of loneliness)
Heard it before.
Anyway, if someone here has the computer skills, howzabout we draft a cyber letter of complaint, get a SHITLOAD of pissed off inmates to sign it and I could get it to the right person at BMW.
If for no other reason than to get them to either change their vendor or put pressure on their vendor to fix the fucking switches.
Maybe some language about how the neutral switch is part of the Federally mandate SAFETY Starter cut-out blah blah...
Either way, we could hopefully collect enough signatures to get them (or her)to take notice.
Power in numbers.
I am personally sick of buying switches and will be plugging the very young switch on my bike that pukes oil.

SUVslayer 02-19-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirewrkr (Post 15229196)
I had an idea, (yeah, yeah, why didn't it die of loneliness)
Heard it before.
Anyway, if someone here has the computer skills, howzabout we draft a cyber letter of complaint, get a SHITLOAD of pissed off inmates to sign it and I could get it to the right person at BMW.
If for no other reason than to get them to either change their vendor or put pressure on their vendor to fix the fucking switches.
Maybe some language about how the neutral switch is part of the Federally mandate SAFETY Starter cut-out blah blah...
Either way, we could hopefully collect enough signatures to get them (or her)to take notice.
Power in numbers.
I am personally sick of buying switches and will be plugging the very young switch on my bike that pukes oil.

I'll sign. I thought I was doing something wrong like over torquing them or something. It's the last oil leak (I think) and I can't seem to fix it.

datchew 02-19-2011 01:29 PM

BMW doesn't care Robert. Supplying parts for old obsolete bikes is probably a PITA to them.

My guess is there's some other vendor making repops for them anyway just like Huggett makes the slingers for Vech, Bob's, and MAX.

I've heard over and over about "I like BMW because I can get parts for the old bikes"

I no longer buy that line.

SOLO LOBO 02-19-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datchew (Post 15229341)
BMW doesn't care Robert. Supplying parts for old obsolete bikes is probably a PITA to them.

Anything you can mark up 100% (or more), only stock what normally sells, and make customers wait for it doesn't normally sell much isn't a PITA, but a gift to a retailer. Most dealers know this and don't mind a bit.

The Raven 02-19-2011 02:11 PM

Ok....the neutral switch in the GS looks just like the 4wd switch in my Jeep, and the reverse switch in my 328i with NEITHER leaking......There has to be a tips and trick solution...

ChromeSux 02-19-2011 02:13 PM

Funny this topic has came up again, a few weeks ago mine started leaking for the third time, i have replaced the switch twice in less than 2 years, NO MORE.
I went to Auto zone and bought a 12mm x 1.5pitch bolt, cut it just about 2 threads shorter than the exposed threads that were on the switch, used the crush washer that was on the switch, little high temp RTV and all is well.

I did let the gearbox fluid drain overnight and cleaned the switch hole threads with a Q tip and some carb cleaner, damn sure aint leaking now.

On the R100GS you have to pull the clutch in to start it any way so no big loss not having the switch, just no light for N.

On a side note just today as i was savoring the moment of defeating that oil leak and i discovered a new one starting, Pushrod tube seals, i looked all over the bike to see if it had made by AMF Harley Davidson but it doesnt, it just says BMW.

wirewrkr 02-19-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO (Post 15229526)
Anything you can mark up 100% (or more), only stock what normally sells, and make customers wait for it doesn't normally sell much isn't a PITA, but a gift to a retailer. Most dealers know this and don't mind a bit.

Are you implying that the dealers are the ones making the huge mark-up?
NOT!
the average profit margin for BMW parts is around 31%
It used to be around 40% when I started working there 16 years ago, but has diminished greatly.

datchew 02-19-2011 04:58 PM

I got to the same mind as you Chromesux. I replaced it 1 last time. When this one leaks, I'm plugging it with my aluminum bolt (it's an aluminum case after all) and a crush washer or nitrile washer.

I don't really find much use for it anyway as I have gotten in the habit of knowing by speed and pitch of the motor RPM what gear I'm in.

My neutral safety connection was killed long ago, so the switch serves only for the indicator light and seeing that little green light simply isn't worth the $.

One Less Harley 02-19-2011 05:05 PM

I was looking though my extra parts and i don't believe it there are three screwed up switches in the box!!! Dang I didn't know I'd had that many, depressing!!!

CS is right the bolt is a 12x1.5

Wirespokes 02-19-2011 08:54 PM

I wonder if there's a way to re-engineer these things so they're rebuildable with a seal, rather than being crimped together? For the $30 or $40 they want for the dumb things, it would be worth it.

Mine started leaking a while back and leaves a puddle in the garage where it's parked. I've just been putting up with the mess cause I don't want to hassle with it. Don't know how old it is since the bike is new to me.

One Less Harley 02-19-2011 08:59 PM

Maybe I should give the crimp a couple more whacks with a hammer. I've noticed on a couple of the leaking switches that the plastic body rotates in the Al housing. Might be worth a shot, might tighten up the o-ring seal in the body. I'll take one of the bad ones apart to see how it's put together.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:46 AM.