ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   81’ Airhead turn signals help needed (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664906)

lucky6600 03-02-2011 06:29 PM

81’ Airhead turn signals help needed

The rear turn signals on the 81' R100 is in the process of deleting . The whole rear light section has been re-wired, and only the tail light remained. After that, the front won’t work as well. They will all work again if the rear plugged back in. Looking into the wiring diagrams, it looks like the real section is a stand alone section, and it should make no affect to the rest of the circuit.
I might miss something very easy here, so please show me the light.

ween 03-03-2011 04:19 PM

the turn signal flasher may require more of a load i.e. the rear bulbs, to flash properly. you can add power resistors to take place of the removed bulbs, or possibly try a different flasher.
mark

fishkens 03-03-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky6600 (Post 15321727)
The rear turn signals on the 81' R100 is in the process of deleting . The whole rear light section has been re-wired, and only the tail light remained. After that, the front won’t work as well. They will all work again if the rear plugged back in. Looking into the wiring diagrams, it looks like the real section is a stand alone section, and it should make no affect to the rest of the circuit.
I might miss something very easy here, so please show me the light.

Are you trying to say that you removed the rear turn signal lamps from the circuit and the front turn signals no longer flash as they did when the rear signals were included in the circuit?

Ween is correct in saying the flasher relay will behave differently when lamps have been removed from the circuit. Cars and motorcycles operated like this for decades. The relay requires the load of all the lamps and a change in flashing frequency doubles as an alert to the operator that a turn signal lamp has burned out.

Just curious, do you intend to operate the bike w/out rear signals?

lucky6600 03-03-2011 08:21 PM

Yea, after i removed the rear turn lamps, the front turn signals dont work. I thought about the load might be required for the relay to operate. Is there any way to go by pass it?

Yes, the front turn signals are located at the bar end now which will be served as both front and back.

fishkens 03-03-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky6600 (Post 15331369)

Yes, the front turn signals are located at the bar end now which will be served as both front and back.

Ahhhh....

Okay, bar ends. That makes sense now.

Yes, add resistors or try a different relay. Unfortunately, I've never done this so hopefully others will chime in.

Folks who replace turn signals with LED clusters need to replace the flasher too because the LED's don't have the resistance that a incandescent lamp has. It can be done.

lucky6600 03-04-2011 06:12 AM

Ya... I put LED units at the bar end for trying to decrease the usage for the juice. This is getting challange for some reasons uh .... LOL

Grider Pirate 03-04-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky6600 (Post 15333285)
Ya... I put LED units at the bar end for trying to decrease the usage for the juice. This is getting challange for some reasons uh .... LOL

LED units, even if you left the rears intact, don't draw enough current to make the stock flasher unit work. There are electronic flasher units available that work regardless of load.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:24 AM.