ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Bing issue (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668540)

Grider Pirate 03-14-2011 06:44 PM

Bing issue
 
My '95 GSPD has always missed slightly under very low load conditions. I've been fighting it for years. New Metering Needles, New Needle jets, new Diaphragms, etc. etc.. By contrast, my '88 RS has always run wonderfully. Last week I swapped carbs between the two bikes, and, as expected, now the GSPD runs sweetly and the RS.. not so much. The book calls for all the same parts (jets, needles, etc..) but I tore down both sets to compare. Needles in the same grooves, same jets (135, 2.66, 45)... everything I could find was identical. WTF?? Then I noticed on one of the GSPD carbs that the little domed piece in the center of the carb top is LOOSE. http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/Moto...96_vdCSn-M.jpg

It's loose enough to pass some significant air in a highly scientific 'suck' test. I've never heard of this before. Is it common?
I'm thinking of floating some epoxy into that junction. Anybody have experience with this?

wirewrkr 03-14-2011 06:52 PM

Fairly common problem.
Rather than try to recrimp it when that happens, I use JB weld.
Works like a dream

SOLO LOBO 03-14-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate (Post 15418917)
It's loose enough to pass some significant air in a highly scientific 'suck' test. I've never heard of this before. Is it common?
I'm thinking of floating some epoxy into that junction. Anybody have experience with this?

Mine were loose and I used some gasket maker, epoxy sounds like a better way to go. The loose tops definitely had a negative effect on how my bike ran

bmwrench 03-14-2011 06:55 PM

I'd use Loctite 290, formerly known as Wick'n'Lock. Just put a drop or two around the plug and watch it disappear. Don't get carried away with the quantity, and apply with the engine stopped.

supershaft 03-14-2011 06:58 PM

Has anyone ever sent them to Bing USA to get re-crimped?

Tosh Togo 03-14-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supershaft (Post 15419064)
Has anyone ever sent them to Bing USA to get re-crimped?

:rofl


Nope.



Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwrench (Post 15419027)
I'd use Loctite 290, formerly known as Wick'n'Lock. Just put a drop or two around the plug and watch it disappear. Don't get carried away with the quantity, and apply with the engine stopped.



Short, sweet, and effective. http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/cooltu.gif

bmweuro 03-14-2011 07:14 PM

I like using epoxy. The top piece will always look shiny. BTW. Check your choke gaskets.

Hawk Medicine 03-14-2011 07:20 PM

If you're running 32mm Bings, an old rally pin with some silicone under it works perfectly.

I haven't found the perfect object to glue onto 40s yet. :lol3


http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ILE-2011-1.jpg


http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ILE-2013-2.jpg

Grider Pirate 03-14-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmweuro (Post 15419243)
I like using epoxy. The top piece will always look shiny. BTW. Check your choke gaskets.

All new. BTW, I followed yer link. You're selling real PARTS again?? Whoohoo!

Grider Pirate 03-14-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymindsok (Post 15419326)
If you're running 32mm Bings, an old rally pin with some silicone under it works perfectly.

I haven't found the perfect object to glue onto 40s yet. :lol3





I like that, but I don't have any such devices.

bmweuro 03-14-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate (Post 15419937)
All new. BTW, I followed yer link. You're selling real PARTS again?? Whoohoo!

The only other thing I can think of is throttle shaft o-rings. Yep back in the biz. I missed you guys to much!

Grider Pirate 03-14-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmweuro (Post 15420280)
The only other thing I can think of is throttle shaft o-rings. Yep back in the biz. I missed you guys to much!

Also new.
Epoxy is setting now. Didn't have any JB weld, so I used the epoxy that I use for glider repairs.

bmweuro 03-14-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate (Post 15420423)
Also new.
Epoxy is setting now. Didn't have any JB weld, so I used the epoxy that I use for glider repairs.

The epoxy will yellow over time but it is easier to remove and re-due than JB weld.

boxerboy81 03-15-2011 07:27 AM

BING bling.
 
A Euro.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ngbliing-1.jpg

Wirespokes 03-15-2011 11:09 AM

I've epoxied them from the inside, but that's a bit tricky avoiding any buildup on the slide walls - definitely a no-no. I like wrench's idea.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014