ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Am I gonna make a big mistake (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669067)

fyr 03-16-2011 02:53 PM

Am I gonna make a big mistake
 
Who here has sold their airhead to only regret it later?
I am on that cusp.
I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
aargh.

bmwloco 03-16-2011 03:28 PM

I can raise my hand five or six times on that. I regret selling almost every R80G/S that rolled into Taj Garage. I sold the last one about 3 years ago.

Das Beast is an ample replacement. I'm static now with an R60/2, R100RS, and Das Beast. I have also drawn the line in the sand. Somebody will get these when I am too old or too senile to ride 'em.

The Raven 03-16-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyr (Post 15433785)
Who here has sold their airhead to only regret it later?
I am on that cusp.
I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
aargh.

Don't do it for one simple reason. I had a sidecar rig last year. Yes it was fun, yes my dog loved it. Yes it was better that a car. I still missed the two wheels. Give yourself one season and see. You may sell the sidecar rig....I did.

edit: I see it's a gear up. You WILL miss the R100. a gear up is a tractor. It's fun, but not a type of bike that is run to ride any distance. They require a lot of tinkering, so figure that into your time. Sometimes it's nice to just go for a ride.

SUVslayer 03-16-2011 04:04 PM

I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck with your decision.

rufusswan 03-16-2011 04:05 PM

I have a bud with a Burgman 400 wanting a real bike, no insult intended I assure you. It is more than capable, it just does not have the right "shizz" :D

I been scoping some bikes for him. It is hell. I would not want to search for a bike, and I sure as hell would not sell my R75 for any amount of hookers in the world.

I'm just saying :deal

Hawk Medicine 03-16-2011 04:14 PM

Dump your R100S for a Ural sidecar rig? Wow... Thats a hard one...

I wouldnt do it until I established that I had become a die-hard sidecar guy. Try owning both bikes for a year or so and see how you feel after some real miles.

PS: I've been thinking about a sidecar to take the grandson riding in but I wouldn't sell my R100 unless I absolutely had to.

Sniper X 03-16-2011 04:32 PM

Well, I can say if I sold EITHER of mine I would hate myself for it very shortly later....I vote don't. Those things you mentioned are excuses, not reasons. DON'T do it!!!!!!!!!

fyr 03-16-2011 05:18 PM

Thanks
I thought so. I sometimes need to come here and get some encouragment. Such is life with the non motorcycle crowd at home.
Sometimes practicality has to be trumped by matters of the heart and focus is sometimes lost.
Good advice here in OS.
Add has been taken down. R stays home. Minivan purchase on hold for Long Time!:evil

bmwhacker 03-16-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyr (Post 15434896)
Thanks
I thought so. I sometimes need to come here and get some encouragment. Such is life with the non motorcycle crowd at home.
Sometimes practicality has to be trumped by matters of the heart and focus is sometimes lost.
Good advice here in OS.
Add has been taken down. R stays home. Minivan purchase on hold for Long Time!:evil

I'm parting with my (owned since the early 90's) R75/5 on Friday...at least I'm dragging home another solo BMW as part of the deal. But I'm not sure how much I will miss my "old friend" of 18 years. I know the thing inside - out so now will have to get acquainted with a strange bike.
The trade-in BMW will likely be sold too if my wife doesn't claim it. Damned thing's blue and she loves blue.:lol3

I'm pretty hooked on the sidecar scene but nothing like jumping on a solo bike and racking off a 600 mile weekend ride! The sidecar brings forth more dedication and requires a bit more time. :D

fyr 03-16-2011 07:21 PM

That said an more. My sons will love the hack more when they are older. However I dont have as much time vested in my R as you did. Im going to fire her up tomorrow and wake her from her wintersleep and give my burg a wee R therapy (and me too!):freaky

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwhacker (Post 15435750)
I'm parting with my (owned since the early 90's) R75/5 on Friday...at least I'm dragging home another solo BMW as part of the deal. But I'm not sure how much I will miss my "old friend" of 18 years. I know the thing inside - out so now will have to get acquainted with a strange bike.
The trade-in BMW will likely be sold too if my wife doesn't claim it. Damned thing's blue and she loves blue.:lol3

I'm pretty hooked on the sidecar scene but nothing like jumping on a solo bike and racking off a 600 mile weekend ride! The sidecar brings forth more dedication and requires a bit more time. :D


mykill 03-16-2011 08:37 PM

I knew it!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUVslayer (Post 15434371)
I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck with your decision.

Traitor!!!
Buy some good lube cuz you're gonna need it when Eric's gets through with you! That's when you'll miss the big pig.

norton(kel) 03-16-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyr (Post 15433785)
Who here has sold their airhead to only regret it later?
I am on that cusp.
I just recently bought a sidecar rig and now the BMW looks like it's going to languish. So practicality dictates sell. (space, time, and debt).
aargh.

Wife bought me a sidecar rig 20 years ago,love it! but I never sold my solo bikes:clap

fyr 03-16-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton(kel) (Post 15436618)
Wife bought me a sidecar rig 20 years ago,love it! but I never sold my solo bikes:clap

Nice!

Country Doc 03-16-2011 08:56 PM

Don't sell the solo airhead. I've let a few of them go and bought different versions back again a few months later, only to have to go through the entire "restoration" process again and fix all the crazy sh#t that other people do to their machines.

A sidecar rig is awesome, I love mine with the kids, but you'll regret selling the R100. Keep both, enjoy both, don't worry that it sits a bit more in the garage. It's only money, and really not very much of it either. Airheads provide a lot more enjoyment than their dollar value these days.

dc

Grider Pirate 03-16-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUVslayer (Post 15434371)
I'm riding the same wave. I'm about to sell my R100GSPD (after purchase of a KTM Adv) but I'm nervous I'm gonna regret it. I've always like the big pig, and I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. Can't say the same about the KTM.

I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck with your decision.

I'm GOING to sell my GSPD. I love it as an urban assault vehicle, but it's such a pig in the dirt that it annoys me. I will regret it only because my wife and I fit better on it than on the RS.
OTOH, I've found that any time I've sold a bike because I needed the money, I've regretted it. The money lasts a short time, and the bike is gone forever.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014