ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OLD Question First 640 ADV accessories (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67555)

Walker Sky Ranch 02-01-2005 09:44 AM

OLD Question First 640 ADV accessories

I just read the thread about what to get first for your KLR, well, I would like to address that for the KTM 640 Adventure.

If you had a brand new one, what would you get first? or what needs to be changed first?
ahh budget.. $1000

Cat0020 02-01-2005 09:56 AM

Electric outlet..$25-40
GPS mounting.. $70-100
GPS unit.. spare no expense, get the best there is, Garmin 276C.. $600-800

Get a GPS unit that gives you routing and estimate time for arrivals, that way you can give yourself good estimate of how much time you want to spend riding. Personally, that feature on my GPS makes me ride longer than I should sometimes.

creeper 02-01-2005 10:00 AM

Depends on how and where you intend to ride it, and what kinda stuff blows your skirt up. :D

Basic stuff is:

Re-jet.

Air box side cover

New muff or mod the stocker

Renazco seat (boejangles)

Loadedagain or similar risers (if your 5'10" or better)

Adjust damping for weight or get suspension reworked if your heavy

Factory service manual

Grips

Other stuff:

Panniers

GPS & mount

HID lighting

Better tires (if your doing lots of off-road)

FCR carb

Alternate gearing (if your doing lots of off-road)

Mirrors (stockers are lame IMO)

"Bigger" pegs

Lots of other odds & ends... personal wants and desires... your perception of requirements... some objective, some subjective... even some regional stuff.

Creep

Walker Sky Ranch 02-01-2005 10:14 AM

Basic stuff is:

Re-jet.

Air box side cover

New muff or mod the stocker

Creep[/QUOTE]

Thanks, can you direct me to a thread that tells how to do the re-jet, air box and Muff?

Loadedagain 02-01-2005 10:47 AM

i took things from a different angle because of warranty... mine is 5 years. i couldn't get into dickin with the engine as far as replacing silencer or mods because the warranty doesn't allow it... and if she cavs inside five years i want them to pay the bill.

so i started outside.. panniers came with the bike, but to me are essential. since i build and sell risers... i have a set of them. i also messed with the suspension to make the bike more roadable with my 225 pound ass on the bike. as cat2000 says a gps was a cool adder. started with a little etrex which was neat, but now have a garmin 276c.

i was worried about the subframe with the added weight of the panniers and gear, so i custom made a stronger one... fine if you have fab ability, but really expensive if you have to have someone else do it.

little things like the tripmaster switch... auto fork bleeders... canisterectomy... maybe i'll add more later.

creeper 02-01-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfphoto
Thanks, can you direct me to a thread that tells how to do the re-jet, air box and Muff?

What year, and... as I will go into excruciatingly painful detail, I'll do this tonight. M-kay?

B-bye

Nom de Guerre 02-01-2005 11:18 AM

My eyes must be bleary...

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
Depends on how and where you intend to ride it, and what kinda stuff blows your skirt up. :D

Other stuff:

Panniers

GPS & mount

HID lighting

Better tires (if your doing lots of off-road)

FCR carb

Alternate gearing (if your doing lots of off-road)

Mirrors (stockers are lame IMO)

"Bigger" pegs

Lots of other odds & ends... personal wants and desires... your perception of requirements... some objective, some subjective... even some regional stuff.

Creep

FCR carb??? Surely my eyes are deceiving me! :lol3

creeper 02-01-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
FCR carb??? Surely my eyes are deceiving me! :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creepy
personal wants and desires... your perception of requirements... some objective, some subjective

I try to be objective... just because I have no desire to have one... etc, etc. :wave

PASSMORE 02-01-2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

what to get first for the KTM 640 Adventure.

budget.. $1000

Do first and budget of $1000? For me it is about how I will use the bike and comfort - other things can come later in my book...

Soooo, saddle would be an absolute first for me ($400ish I think...). Hmmmm, 6 bills left... Loaded risers for sure ($30ish), there! my ergos are working quite well :thumb and I still have $570 left to play with!

Depending on your weight/skill I would delve into your suspension with your remaining cash :nod

Now you have a comfy and dialed in bike for $1000 - the rest are just doodad's and details :D

OHHHHH!!!!! Don't forget to budget for Rhino Liner :rofl Kidding of course, but seriously, you can do a lot of other little mods for little to no cash and improve the performance such as the canisterectomy, etc...

Have fun!

creeper 02-01-2005 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PASSMORE

but seriously, you can do a lot of other little mods for little to no cash and improve the performance such as the canisterectomy, etc...

Have fun!

Yea... Krylon is only 6 bucks a can. :huh

DC950 02-01-2005 01:39 PM

1. racing airbox cover
2. rejet carb
3. a few extra Supertrapp disks
4. rallye foot pegs
5. a sprocket to either raise or lower the gearing, your
choice
6. bar risers
7. topo maps of your state and the neighboring one
8. 300 gallons of gas

IMHO the main reason to buy something as good as an Adventure is that you don't have to spend a grand to make it work.

GT-STMC 02-01-2005 03:05 PM

I've had my new one for only 7 months now. 7000 miles, and the only thing I've done is a new rear sprocket to make it more highway "friendly" (I use the bike 90% to commute), an aftermarket seat will be next. As expressed before...., you buy a KTM to not need to spend a lot "to make it work".

Walker Sky Ranch 02-01-2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC950

IMHO the main reason to buy something as good as an Adventure is that you don't have to spend a grand to make it work.

AMEN BROTHER AMEN

Walker Sky Ranch 02-01-2005 03:36 PM

The Creeper speaks to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper
What year, and... as I will go into excruciatingly painful detail, I'll do this tonight. M-kay?
B-bye

2005 KTM LC4 640 Adventure , right out of the crate.. just got her and she is ORANGE baby! and I mean, Pearl/Orange, like the 950's, Black seat, Black rims.

darmahman 02-01-2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

2005 KTM LC4 640 Adventure , right out of the crate.. just got her and she is ORANGE baby! and I mean, Pearl/Orange, like the 950's, Black seat, Black rims.

PICS PLEASE !

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 PM.