ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tiffany's Trail to Tibet (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687109)

Tiffany 05-13-2011 08:47 AM

Tiffany's Trail to Tibet

Or should that be trial? I'm doing something very different with this current trip as I'm now a working girl (hmmm, maybe I should re-phrase that:hmmmmm)

GlobeBusters have taken me on to help lead one of their groups and I've got the Tibet trip:clap
They're supplied me with a 1200GS, a GPS that I had no idea how to even switch on and instructions to set off from London with a bunch of riders.

http://tiffanystravels.smugmug.com/O...ilk-Road-M.jpg

I set off with a bike that was still quite clean and relatively intact.
The group includes, Aussies, Yanks, a Swede, a Swiss and several Brits so a good multi-national mix and also three other women.

DolphinJohn 05-13-2011 08:54 AM

Lucky girl!!!

I'll be watching this one.

Have fun.

BitesTheDust 05-13-2011 08:57 AM

:lurk

Rdy2Trvl 05-13-2011 08:57 AM

Wow, what a lucky opportunity!
Loved your "You Tube" video, on your website. It reminds me of "Traveling Man" by Lemon Jelly.
You are living our dream! Enjoy and be safe in your continuing travels.

CalgaryKLR 05-13-2011 10:23 AM

My LORD, what a dream.

I would think that 99% of the people on here would enjoy that job.

All the best, travel safe.

lukeman 05-13-2011 10:28 AM

Thelma must be terribly jealous! And a GPS now? Welcome to the 21st century of motorcycle travel :rofl

It has to be quite a different experience on that beast of a motorcycle. Best of luck, sounds like a sweet trip!

marty hill 05-13-2011 11:36 AM

Hi Tiffany. Have a great trip.

GB 05-13-2011 02:06 PM

looking forward to your next adventure :thumb

:lurk

PinkPillion 05-13-2011 05:58 PM

Wow!! This is going to be good!! Safe Travels Tiffany.

NickiGS 05-13-2011 06:31 PM

Awesome!!!! And getting paid for it too :D

Tiffany 05-13-2011 10:08 PM

Thelma

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeman (Post 15902786)
Thelma must be terribly jealous! And a GPS now? Welcome to the 21st century of motorcycle travel :rofl

It has to be quite a different experience on that beast of a motorcycle. Best of luck, sounds like a sweet trip!

Hey Luke
good to hear from you.
Thelma (my R80GS for the rest of you) is actually happily standing in the sunshine of Mexico where I left her six months ago. I'm hoping to head back and pick her up later this year.
As for the GPS, well I did the classic thing of grabbing someone's son to show me how to use it just before I left London. Naturally I've got my compass and maps with me anyway:evil Me and modern technology don't always mix.

Tiffany 05-13-2011 10:19 PM

More Info

Yes, I know I'm extremely lucky to get this job- it's a dream come true, especially with such a fantastic destination as Tibet.:D
Our route is taking us from London, through France, Begium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Iran (with Yanks alongside!), Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China and Tibet to Everest, then back up into China to Beijing where we fly home from.

As this is a working trip, I don't get as much time to blog as I usually would, and obviously my priority has to be the GlobeBusters.com blog (look for tales from the road section for words and pics) and also my own website, not to mention the reassuring emails home to parents and long-suffering boyfriend.
I'll do my best to keep you all posted and thanks very much for the good luck messages.

Packer 05-14-2011 12:52 AM

There are people who would give their right arm for that job.

Stupid, they couldn't use the throttle then:D

I've followed some of your other travels, hope that this is as much fun for you. Good health, good luck, good riding.

milk budda 05-14-2011 08:53 AM

Jealous Jealous Jealous...........
Enjoy and travel well.

Adv Grifter 05-14-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany (Post 15907526)
Yes, I know I'm extremely lucky to get this job- it's a dream come true, especially with such a fantastic destination as Tibet.:D
Our route is taking us from London, through France, Begium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Iran (with Yanks alongside!), Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China and Tibet to Everest, then back up into China to Beijing where we fly home from.

As anyone who's crossed some of the above borders knows ... with a bike it's a massive paperwork hassle. My guess is Tiffany will earn her money getting ten riders and bikes through some of those countries. I hope you've got plenty of "Fixers" in place and have brushed up well on your Russian, Farsi and Chinese! :evil

Globebusters must have some serious "connections" to get Bikes into China. I thought the importing of foreign bikes was generally illegal? How does that work?

Are you allowed to discuss the cost of the Globebusters Tibet Tour here?

Good luck and safe travels! :slurp

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:23 AM.