ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   "The Wedge" (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697038)

vacantstare 06-12-2011 07:56 PM

"The Wedge"
 
I'm still a noob in the world of airheads, and I only very recently became aware of the wedge that is part of the handlebar controls. I installed a handlebar mounted master cylinder from the 88-93 RS model, and I had no recollection of having installed a wedge. This concerned me, because I read that without the wedge, you stand a good chance of cracking the perch when you tighten it down. I ordered one, then went to install it today. There doesnt seem to be room for it. I looked at the parts fiche in Max BMW, and it does not show this M/C perch as having a wedge, but curiously, the clutch does.

What am I missing?

Wirespokes 06-12-2011 08:05 PM

I don't know when the wedge went away, but it must have been sometime in the early 80s, just guessing. Perhaps wirewrkr knows - he's familiar with stuff like that.

melville 06-12-2011 09:41 PM

My 1975 /6 did not take a wedge. Perhaps it ended with the last of the /5 style controls on the 1974 models? Here's the wedge, NOT fitting:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...868/BMW217.jpg

crazydrummerdude 06-12-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melville (Post 16150310)
My 1975 /6 did not take a wedge. Perhaps it ended with the last of the /5 style controls on the 1974 models?

My '74 /6's do indeed have the /5 controls and wedge.

caponerd 06-12-2011 10:06 PM

I have a 1982 R100RT, and a 1965 R69S.

Never heard of "The Wedge", and don't remember seeing anything like that picture on either one. I've had both apart several times. (The R69S was apart when I acquired it)
Must have just been a /5 and /6 thing.

cptmoney 06-12-2011 10:25 PM

My '77 R75/7 has a pair of wedges - just saw them today.

crazydrummerdude 06-12-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caponerd (Post 16150473)
I have a 1982 R100RT, and a 1965 R69S.

Never heard of "The Wedge", and don't remember seeing anything like that picture on either one. I've had both apart several times. (The R69S was apart when I acquired it)
Must have just been a /5 and /6 thing.

I had one wedge on my R60/2 (and the other was a homemade wedge, broken piece of plastic). The /2 controls are similar to a /5. Are the R69S controls different from a "regular" /2?

caponerd 06-13-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude (Post 16150829)
I had one wedge on my R60/2 (and the other was a homemade wedge, broken piece of plastic). The /2 controls are similar to a /5. Are the R69S controls different from a "regular" /2?

Shouldn't be. There was no wedge among the bits I put together, and I haven't had a reason to miss it.
These are Magura controls, which I assume are standard /2 units.

I'll have to look into this. Can the controls be removed without the wedge falling out? Maybe they were in there the whole time, and I just never noticed?
Prolly not likely, I did take the things apart to paint the mounts black.

Bill Harris 06-13-2011 07:14 AM

The wedge, Ithink, was used only on Magura control assemblies and may not have been used with post-Magura controls. Check MaxBMW or RealOEM for your specific model: Main Group 32, Steering.

BMWs can be so quaint at times... :D

melville 06-13-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 16152122)
The wedge, Ithink, was used only on Magura control assemblies and may not have been used with post-Magura controls. Check MaxBMW or RealOEM for your specific model: Main Group 32, Steering.

BMWs can be so quaint at times... :D

But mine was Magura! Right up until I polished the logos off.

Stagehand 06-13-2011 10:11 AM

R60/6, 1975. Had a wedge.

England-Kev 06-13-2011 10:42 AM

I have that on my R80ST, a right pain in the arse too.:D

Bill Harris 06-13-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melville (Post 16153093)
But mine was Magura! Right up until I polished the logos off.

Hmmm, may be. But check the parts fiche for specific applications...

DoktorT 06-13-2011 11:35 AM

76 /6 Mine had wedges

79/7 Mine has wedges

Them pesky little buggers WILL fall out when pulling off the perch. Watch for it. Put down some rags so it don't bounce under the work bench. If there are PO's anywhere in the background of your Airhead, don't be surprized if the are not there.

I saw somewhere some pix and instruction of how to make a wedge from a snipped and folded beer can. A thing of beauty from another Airhead problem solver.

They can be very difficult to get back on. Use a dab of thick grease to seat them firmly in the perch. Carefully twist and push easy and after several renditions of reseat the wedge and try again it will clear the bar end and go on.

Big Bamboo 06-29-2013 12:16 PM

My 1984 R65 has them.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014