ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Importing costs: Sidi Adventure Gore Tex to US (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705040)

a.c.s. 07-08-2011 12:19 PM

Importing costs: Sidi Adventure Gore Tex to US

For those of you who've imported the Sidi Adventure Gore Tex boots from the UK, or Germany, I am wondering how much you paid for customs/duties/import taxes.

It seems hit or miss whether some people are charged, and even if you are charged, it seems like you'd still save a few bucks. From what I can tell on the customs website, you may charged up to 35% of the declared value of the boots bringing the price quite close to what I could buy them for here in the states ($625).

eg, on ebay you can get them for $409 + $61 for shipping, and a potential $143 for tarrifs/etc, totalling $613.

So, if you'd be so kind, would you please share your experiences?

Thanks!
-acs

lhendrik 07-08-2011 12:46 PM

I will cautiously say that I have paid as much as $60 for a $400 item from Europe and as little as $0.00 for a $1,600 riding suit. No idea why or how it works. The $60 was passed on to me by UPS driver at delivery. The $0.00 was on an order from Germany, delivered by DHL. Go figure.

eddyturn 07-08-2011 01:59 PM

I will note that bringing boots from EU seems to be the reason for the fee. I can order skis from a site and pay no fee but if I order the ski boots from them, I get whacked to the tune of about $43. Maybe Customs has a foot fetish.

BeachMoto 07-08-2011 04:29 PM

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhendrik (Post 16347965)
I will cautiously say that I have paid as much as $60 for a $400 item from Europe and as little as $0.00 for a $1,600 riding suit. No idea why or how it works. The $60 was passed on to me by UPS driver at delivery. The $0.00 was on an order from Germany, delivered by DHL. Go figure.

Same here. I have paid handsomely (import taxes, that is) for watches that I bought from European dealers (Switzerland and Germany) but didn't have to pay anything for a helmet and a suit from our Biker friends in Deutschland.

The only common denominator seems to be the shipping company. I have always had to pay when FedEx was involved but not DHL. May be that is the trick, insist on DHL, I believe US Postal service does their delivery in the States.

Reverse 07-08-2011 07:44 PM

Order my suit from Germany: no fee, deliverd through DHL and USPS.

When ordering from Europe, make sure you are not charged VAT. All prices in Europe are always inclusive of VAT unless otherwise noted. That alone will cut the bill by about 20% from list price. More than makes up for shipping on pricier items.

vuugti 07-09-2011 12:31 AM

Charged zero VAT at fcmoto. Saved 150 bucks on a pair of sidis vs. the US price.

a.c.s. 07-09-2011 08:43 AM

Thank you for the replies!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them.

-acs

a.c.s. 07-20-2011 02:38 PM

OK, so the Sidi Adventure Gore Tex boots arrived today; $23.44 in brokerage fees charged by UPS. They fit great and give me a whole lot more protection than what I had from my Marine Corps Infantry Combat Boots.

Too bad that the US Web stores aren't more competitive in their pricing; I would've loved to buy them state-side, but I now have another $150 to put into some other well needed gear... :deal

Perhaps though, I don't understand the costs involved for US distributors to sell this product and they are being reasonable in their prices... :ear

Either way, these seem like quality boots that'll last me a few years. Glad I bought them.

-acs

keiji 07-20-2011 03:37 PM

If I recall, the Gore-tex version is so expensive because of import taxes on leather. Gore requires boots to have a certain percent of real leather to use their membrane, and the government taxes heavily for that, giving you the price you see now (according to the importer in the Sidi Adventure Boot thread).

Only a few things can happen from this situation:
People keep buying from out of country because it is cheaper, and the importers stop importing the things we want because they cannot compete.

or

Sidi restricts their dealers from shipping to countries outside of their locale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.c.s. (Post 16440622)
OK, so the Sidi Adventure Gore Tex boots arrived today; $23.44 in brokerage fees charged by UPS. They fit great and give me a whole lot more protection than what I had from my Marine Corps Infantry Combat Boots.

Too bad that the US Web stores aren't more competitive in their pricing; I would've loved to buy them state-side, but I now have another $150 to put into some other well needed gear... :deal

Perhaps though, I don't understand the costs involved for US distributors to sell this product and they are being reasonable in their prices... :ear

Either way, these seem like quality boots that'll last me a few years. Glad I bought them.

-acs

Shane Stump 07-20-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.c.s. (Post 16347791)
For those of you who've imported the Sidi Adventure Gore Tex boots from the UK, or Germany, I am wondering how much you paid for customs/duties/import taxes.

It seems hit or miss whether some people are charged, and even if you are charged, it seems like you'd still save a few bucks. From what I can tell on the customs website, you may charged up to 35% of the declared value of the boots bringing the price quite close to what I could buy them for here in the states ($625).

eg, on ebay you can get them for $409 + $61 for shipping, and a potential $143 for tarrifs/etc, totalling $613.

So, if you'd be so kind, would you please share your experiences?

Thanks!
-acs

Here is my experience ordering stuff from FC-Moto.de (NO GUARANTEE it will be this way with you):

1) If you have it shipped via UPS, you will be GETTING a hefty customs charge from UPS.

2) If you have it shipped via DHL, it will be handed off to the USPS and you will NOT be ____KED with an extra LARGE charge!

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane Stump 07-20-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuugti (Post 16352241)
Charged zero VAT at fcmoto. Saved 150 bucks on a pair of sidis vs. the US price.

Did you have it shipped UPS or DHL? If UPS, you may be getting a "surprise" in the mail from UPS like I did when I ordered my Rev'it riding suit thinking I saved a few $$$ (Savings when from $300 to $30)!

Best Regards,

Shane

MeanStreaker 07-21-2011 01:17 PM

I have to tell you, I have the regular US version, and I even bought them used so they're secondhand to me...

They have been 100% waterproof through (highlights):

-Walking 25 yards through a moving creek that came halfway up my shin
-Riding KLR through that creek
-Riding KLR on the interstate at 65mph for over an hour through a *serious* storm. Raining and blowing so hard at times, I probably should've pulled over.
-Many more small water crossings and several lighter rain showers.

Maybe I got lucky, but my non-Goretex ones are 100% waterproof so far.

BajaRat 07-22-2011 03:31 AM

I am here in Germany and was checking out sources for Sidi ADV's and came across a business:

Biker-Land.de

http://www.biker-land.de/Boots/water...Tex-boots.html

They currently have sizes: 40,41,43,44,46 in stock with 1-2 week delivery.

Price w/o VAT to US customers €226.05
Shipping Via Deutsche Post € 39.90 (To Texas zip)
Total landed in Texas $377.34. (with today's exchange rate :(

Deutsche Post ships to US via DHL

I have no affiliation or buying experience from Biker-Land.de but their website is very well organized and is presented in English so my buying experience was super easy. This is where I am going to order my boots from.... :)

Racking up the kM's on my Super Ténéré and diggin' it !

dmann 07-24-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BajaRat (Post 16452203)
I am here in Germany and was checking out sources for Sidi ADV's and came across a business:

Biker-Land.de

http://www.biker-land.de/Boots/water...Tex-boots.html

They currently have sizes: 40,41,43,44,46 in stock with 1-2 week delivery.

Price w/o VAT to US customers €226.05
Shipping Via Deutsche Post € 39.90 (To Texas zip)
Total landed in Texas $377.34. (with today's exchange rate :(

Deutsche Post ships to US via DHL

I have no affiliation or buying experience from Biker-Land.de so you proceed at your own research and risk. This is where I am going to order my boots from.... :)

Racking up the kM's on my Super Ténéré and diggin' it !

Thanks BajaRat! I just ordered a pair in size 43. Great deal, if it all works out ok. Cost me $391 with today's exchange rate, saving me $234 over Stateside. Keeping my fingers crossed that DHL doesn't spring any surprise charges on me, though consensus seems to think they won't.
:beer

BajaRat 07-25-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmann (Post 16469250)
Thanks BajaRat! I just ordered a pair in size 43. Great deal, if it all works out ok. Cost me $391 with today's exchange rate, saving me $234 over Stateside. Keeping my fingers crossed that DHL doesn't spring any surprise charges on me, though consensus seems to think they won't.
:beer

Nice dmann !

Their site and checkout process is VERY professional, perfect English translation, etc...

I also ordered my boots and the price to me in Deutschland was $5 MORE than to you in the US because of the feckin' 19% VAT here in the EU ! And that was with shipping included in the price of the boots as shipping is free within Deutschland.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 PM.