ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Yamaha Vino 125? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713995)

Jim Moore 08-07-2011 10:28 AM

Yamaha Vino 125?

Hey, my local bike shop is selling 2009 Vino 125s for $1995. That seems like a pretty good price. Anybody have one and care to comment on it? What's the difference between it and the Zuma?

Thanks,

LarryRickenbacker 08-07-2011 02:58 PM

OK on good roads

Howdy,

I've two years experience on scooters, so I'm no expert. I was close to making the Vino 125 my first scooter a few years ago. Instead yours truly opted for a scoot with 12 inch wheels. The Vino 125 has 10-inch wheels, so at speeds over 35 mph, it'll start to feel twitchy, less stable. That's due to the effect of Gyroscopic forces.

If you only need this scoot for 'round the neighborhood or on a college campus, it's probably a good choice. Still, with Yamaha also offering the Zuma 125 (12 inch tires), I'd look into the Zuma 125 instead-assuming you plan to commute and run errands on busy streets and spend a good bit of time over 35 mph. 12-inch tires are a bit more confidance inspiring at speed. My current scoot is the Honda Sh150i, which has 16-inch tires, btw.

Hypochondrius 08-07-2011 03:08 PM

The Zuma's MSRP is nearly twice what he might get the Vino for. I don't think 2" worth of tire is worth 1.5k.

tbonestone 08-07-2011 03:22 PM

As a former salesman at a scooter-only dealership. We took in a Vino 125 for an elderly couple. I rode it, here are my plusses: It is super low to the ground based on seat height so if you're vertically challenged it's nice. Parts and service locations are extremely abundant should something arise that's beyond your abilities.
Minus: In my opinion it felt slow. I rode back-to-back the Vino 125, and then a Genuine buddy 125. Hands down in top speed and acceleration the buddy creamed the vino without breaking a sweat. That was even with a vino past it's break in period, and a buddy fresh out of the crate.

I like the width of the floorboards on the vino for my enormous clod-hopper Doc Martens, where the buddy just felt too danged narrow for my liking.

$1999 is a heck of a deal, check out if they're going to pinch you with extreme shipping and assembly costs.

The vino is a fine bike all in all. What are your intended uses for it? I.E. what kind of roads/speeds are you looking to do?

adoptamutt 08-07-2011 03:42 PM

The Vino 125 and the Zuma 125 have different engines despite their size.

Vino = Air-cooled 124cc, 4-stroke, 9.8:1 compression ratio;
Zuma = Forced Air-cooled 125cc, 4 valves, 10:1 compression ratio

Vino = Mikuni carb;
Zuma = fuel injection

I got this info straight from my Yamaha 2010 Scooter catalog brochure.

I've also read the the Vino 124cc engine is a raspy, vibey engine. Not very smooth.

lagcam 08-07-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adoptamutt (Post 16573178)
I've also read the the Vino 124cc engine is a raspy, vibey engine. Not very smooth.

I have a 2006 Vino 125 and it is indeed kind of a rattlebox. But it's not put your hands to sleep vibration. I ride mine all over, including 90 miles round trip to work on the back roads occasionally. My dad just bought a 2010 Honda 110 Elite and it is MUCH nicer in almost every way. Smooth, water cooled and FI. And the Vino is only a little faster on top speed. Guess I'm trying to say that the Vino isn't bad, just getting a little dated.

MrGoodwreck 08-07-2011 07:54 PM

My wife rides a Vino 125 40 miles round trip to work every day ( weather permit), and loves it. We both have our MC endorcements, and she still runs that vino. she paid $1600.00 +/- months ago, and it is an 09 mod. Keep your eye out, our dealerships out this way give some great deals if you watch for them.

Jim Moore 08-08-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonestone (Post 16573053)
The vino is a fine bike all in all. What are your intended uses for it? I.E. what kind of roads/speeds are you looking to do?

Neighborhood trips. Nothing over 10 miles one way. I have an Elite 50 right now. It's not quite fast enough to feel safe on the 45 mph roads.

adoptamutt 08-08-2011 11:19 AM

Don't forget the check out the Kymco Agility 125cc either. Kymco is a quality manufacturer and it's only $1799 MSRP ! It has 12" wheels too, but that makes the seat height around 31".

But if your wife wants the "classic, Roman Holiday look", check out a Kymco People 150.

klaviator 08-08-2011 01:47 PM

The gas cap on the vino is behind the seat so if you you ever decide to mount a top box or just use the rear rack, you may block the gas cap. I have never ridden one but this feature would seem to be a pita if you want to carry more stuff than will fit under the seat & on the floorboards.

FoldArt 08-08-2011 06:39 PM

I don't think I would worry about the 10" wheels. My wife has a cheap chinese scoot with 10" wheels and it's pretty stable at its top speed of about 55 mph. Besides, doesn't a Honda Helix only have an 11" front wheel, and 10" rear wheel? Steering geometry and wheelbase have a lot to do with stability, along with wheel size.

Before I jumped on that deal, I would investigate other scoots in the local area. Kymco, Honda, Piaggio and Genuine would make my list.

MockTurtle 08-08-2011 08:53 PM

I've had my Vino125 for a couple of years now, and of my 3 bikes, it is absolutely my favorite around-town errand-runner.

It's got TONS of usable space for groceries and such with the flat floorboard, plus a crate (either milk or Coke) bungeed to the rear rack. (If it'll help, I'll take a couple of pics to show how I hook the crate on so it can easily move out of the way for gas-tank access.)

It's got plenty of speed (maxes out on flat ground at about 60mph with me [at 6'2" & 195 lbs] on it) for any surface roads, and I've taken it on the highways for short 1 or 2 exit runs.
It does NOT get shaky, even at top speed...But I do try to avoid potholes with those tiny wheels!

Yamaha quality is good; I've put 7500 miles on it, and have had no problems whatsoever.

At $2000 new, as long as they don't gouge you with additional fees, i'd say it's a great deal.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer to the best of my ability. Anyway, best of luck...whatever you decide to go with!

Jim Moore 08-09-2011 01:10 PM

Cool! Thanks guys, I think that's all the info I need. I'm a little worried about the milk crate / gas cap interface. I definitely plan on stealing a milk crate and strapping it on. I haven't looked at one in person yet, so i don't know how much of a factor it's going to be.

BUBB 08-09-2011 01:46 PM

I have a 2006 Vino with 15000 or so miles on it - it's in the shop today. I think the voltage regulator is bad. Looking back on the miles, it has spent a lot of time in the shop. A big problem I have is the muffler breaks off from the exhaust pipe. I think it's probably because I drive it wide open for long periods of time and don't slow down much rough roads and I expect the exhaust pipe gets hot and breaks when it is bumped for long periods of time.

I have broken the bolts where the exhaust pipe connects to the head twice - might be a related cause. I guess you could say I abuse that scooter...

Depending which way the wind is blowing, I will drive it anywhere except an interstate. My Vino must be a slug compared to other's because it is not going to do much more than 52-53 mph on the flat with no wind. Up hills and against the wind it will sometimes slow down to less than 30 mph. I have hit 69 mph (gps measured) downhill with a tailwind. Nothing overtly scary about it - considering the small wheels. Probably not a good idea - I have people ask me, "how fast will it go?", to which my reply is "fast enough for those small tires."

It is not buzzy -- vibration is not an issue.

I can carry an amazing amount of groceries on it. The flat floorboard is a big big plus for me. It's like a small pickup truck. I would like a Zuma, but if I am going to spend that much money, I think I would step up to a Vespa and if I was going to spend that much money, I think I would get a real motorcycle with real brakes.

I'm pretty happy with my Vino - I just wish it were a 150 or 165.....

MockTurtle 08-10-2011 01:59 PM

Let me suggest using a Coca-Cola crate instead of a milk crate.
They're lower profile, and have a larger flat surface area than milk crates.
Combined with a bungee net to keep things held in place, I find the Coke crate to be much more usable.

Plus, it just looks better on the Vino...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 AM.