ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Final Word on 950 wheels (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71423)

Paul Clipper 03-08-2005 07:59 AM

The Final Word on 950 wheels

Okay, I'm working on my own bike as well as a story in Trail Rider, or a series of stories in Trail Rider. I need to know real experience from folks who have tried it, and here's the question:
Is anyone in the forum riding a KTM Adventure with a 17-inch rear wheel and 19-inch front wheel? And if so, how's it working?
I know the factory infomation is full of dire warnings to not fit 17-inch rims to the 950, but they're very vague about the 17/19 combo. I've heard rumors and speculation about terminal high speed tank slappers, but I haven't heard any first-hand knowledge. So what's the scoop from those of you who know?
One reason I ask is that I'm building a second set of wheels for primarily street use. And if smaller works better, why not do it? Thanks.

Greg Minor 03-09-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Clipper
Okay, I'm working on my own bike as well as a story in Trail Rider, or a series of stories in Trail Rider. I need to know real experience from folks who have tried it, and here's the question:
Is anyone in the forum riding a KTM Adventure with a 17-inch rear wheel and 19-inch front wheel? And if so, how's it working?
I know the factory infomation is full of dire warnings to not fit 17-inch rims to the 950, but they're very vague about the 17/19 combo. I've heard rumors and speculation about terminal high speed tank slappers, but I haven't heard any first-hand knowledge. So what's the scoop from those of you who know?
One reason I ask is that I'm building a second set of wheels for primarily street use. And if smaller works better, why not do it? Thanks.

I have a set of 17/19 they work great on the street with Anakee tires but I do not like them offroad at all

Gaserman 03-09-2005 09:03 PM

I haven't heard of these high speed tank slappers. I'm just about to order a 17" for my rear to go with my 21" Excel. Anyone heard of any problems with this combo? Buchanan doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

KTMax 03-09-2005 09:38 PM

I've thought about this too. This gives you a wealth of tires to choose from. There shouldn't a technical problem but keep in mind that the rear end of the bike drops at least half an inch (depending on the tire size). This might not seem much but it will affect the handling and steering of the bike.

You could (or should) drop the forks through the yokes to compensate for the lowered rear.

BlueSkies 03-09-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaserman
I haven't heard of these high speed tank slappers. I'm just about to order a 17" for my rear to go with my 21" Excel. Anyone heard of any problems with this combo? Buchanan doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

is your excel front rim a 2.15 or a 1.60... i'm still looking for a 2.15by21 front rim???

and if it is a 1.60.... how well does it work???

Renazco 03-10-2005 05:11 AM

Hi Paul :wave

Paul Clipper 03-10-2005 03:05 PM

Hi James. Didn't get my seat yet, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow--can't wait! I'll let you know about it when it gets here.

Greg--what kind of tires do you have in the 17/19 combo? And why don't you like it in the dirt? For that matter, why do you like it on the street? Your input is appreciated! I have another set of hubs coming,a nd I can lace anything I want to them. Right now, I have Buchanan/Sun rims and stainless spokes and nipples with a 1.8 front and 2.75 rear. Works great with Metzeler Karoos on it (so far).

Gaserman 03-10-2005 06:34 PM

I have a 1.6 x21 Excel on the front and have 10,000kms with lots of off roading. Works fine and no more taco shells!

Greg Minor 03-10-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Clipper
Hi James. Didn't get my seat yet, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow--can't wait! I'll let you know about it when it gets here.

Greg--what kind of tires do you have in the 17/19 combo? And why don't you like it in the dirt? For that matter, why do you like it on the street? Your input is appreciated! I have another set of hubs coming,a nd I can lace anything I want to them. Right now, I have Buchanan/Sun rims and stainless spokes and nipples with a 1.8 front and 2.75 rear. Works great with Metzeler Karoos on it (so far).

If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the stock setup for street and built a new set of offroad wheel which I ended up doing anyway I have a 2.5/18 rear and a 1.6 front for my regular DP wheels and the 17/19 that I ran anakees on which caused the front end to tuck in the dirt I just bought a brand new set of BMW spec TKC's right before my accident that I was going to use for my ride to DV Daze but I never got the chance. The problem I had with the 17/19 setup was that if I was street riding I would alway seem to find a new offroad opportunity and the 19" wheel took all that nice handling away in the dirt. The 17" with the big 150/70/17 is a big tire. I think its a better set up than the 140/80/18 that is available. I'll bet it will last longer too. With the 21" wheel I would raise the fork tubes to accomadate the drop in height in the rear. I think someone has done this. I planned to test it but it will be several months before I can ride

Flanny 03-10-2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Minor
If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the stock setup for street and built a new set of offroad wheel which I ended up doing anyway I have a 2.5/18 rear and a 1.6 front for my regular DP wheels and the 17/19 that I ran anakees on which caused the front end to tuck in the dirt I just bought a brand new set of BMW spec TKC's right before my accident that I was going to use for my ride to DV Daze but I never got the chance. The problem I had with the 17/19 setup was that if I was street riding I would alway seem to find a new offroad opportunity and the 19" wheel took all that nice handling away in the dirt. The 17" with the big 150/70/17 is a big tire. I think its a better set up than the 140/80/18 that is available. I'll bet it will last longer too. With the 21" wheel I would raise the fork tubes to accomadate the drop in height in the rear. I think someone has done this. I planned to test it but it will be several months before I can ride

I'm really beginning to think the 17/21 setup is going to be the way to go until we can get some decent 150 spec DOT knobbies in 18" (Karoos don't count as decent....I need tires that last more that 500 miles thanks).

I'm really not all that happy with the traction I'm getting off-raod with the conti 140...the wheel spins up pretty fast, and when pushing hard into corners, the bike will break-loose and "slide-in" a little too quickly--even when not under power. I don;t think it's the make/model of the tire at this point...I think it's just that with all of that weight and power, the 150 spec rear really is necessary to get enough contact with the ground.

I just don't think I'll be able to switch to a 17" rear any time soon...

Hmmm...If only I knew someone with a 950 that couldn't ride for a few months, I could possibly try the 17" setup...but alas.... :deal

Sooooo..anyway, has anyone heard if the romours about a 150-18 TCK80 has been validated anywhere yet?

Greg Minor 03-11-2005 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanny
I'm really beginning to think the 17/21 setup is going to be the way to go until we can get some decent 150 spec DOT knobbies in 18" (Karoos don't count as decent....I need tires that last more that 500 miles thanks).

I'm really not all that happy with the traction I'm getting off-raod with the conti 140...the wheel spins up pretty fast, and when pushing hard into corners, the bike will break-loose and "slide-in" a little too quickly--even when not under power. I don;t think it's the make/model of the tire at this point...I think it's just that with all of that weight and power, the 150 spec rear really is necessary to get enough contact with the ground.

I just don't think I'll be able to switch to a 17" rear any time soon...

Hmmm...If only I knew someone with a 950 that couldn't ride for a few months, I could possibly try the 17" setup...but alas.... :deal

Sooooo..anyway, has anyone heard if the romours about a 150-18 TCK80 has been validated anywhere yet?

I'm getting lots of offers on my wheels. If you want to ride out here I'll be glad to let you try it :rofl

Flanny 03-11-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Minor
I'm getting lots of offers on my wheels. If you want to ride out here I'll be glad to let you try it :rofl

Bastidge...

Rbott 03-11-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanny

Flanny,
Have you tried the Michelin Baja or Desert? I have the Baja rear and it has about 600 miles on it and it still looks great. Probably half of that on asphalt(very scary!).

Ryan

Flanny 03-11-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbott
Flanny,
Have you tried the Michelin Baja or Desert? I have the Baja rear and it has about 600 miles on it and it still looks great. Probably half of that on asphalt(very scary!).

Ryan

Funny you should ask. I have a brand spankin new one in my basement waiting on my '05 to arrive to install for the spring.

I'm eager to try it out.

sakurama 04-28-2006 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bump...

I just put about 1000 miles on the new 19" front and 17" rear and I have to say that KTM made a HUGE mistake by not making this the stock wheel size on the bike. I think they should offer the 21" and 18" wheels on the S as an offroad biased bike but on the street that size isn't as good as it could be.

I think the 17/19 combo is so much better since it puts a quicker steering and wider front tire on the pavement. The bike turns in quicker, transitions much faster and easier and feels more planted. There are also many more tires available for this size and it takes about an inch off the seat height.

I'll keep the set of wheels that Woody made for me that are beefed up in the 18/21 sizes for when I plan on doing some serious off roading but if I'm going to do any long trips I think the smaller wheels are much better suited. I'm thinking of putting a set of TKC 80's on the new rims and doing the 1-State Dual Sport coming up in May just to see what they're like off road but I did a few gravel roads on them and it wasn't bad. I'm running Avon Distanza's right now so that's a more street oriented tread but it wasn't bad.

I think the improvement of handling on pavement (where 80% of these bikes will spend 80% of their time) is more than worth the small trade in off road ability. If this bike had been tested with these wheels against a GS, Multistrada, Buell or V-Strom it wouldn't even be close. This is the perfect middle ground between motard 17's and the full offroad wheelsets and it makes the bike a real pleasure on the pavement.

I spent a lot of time on small twisty back roads with these wheels and I can't think of any full size bike that I've enjoyed flogging as much. It's a complete transformation.

Clipper - you'll have to try it to believe it.

Gregor

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:42 AM.