ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Plugging a tire (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716947)

El Borracho 08-16-2011 06:34 PM

Plugging a tire

As a noob, this may be a silly question, So I humbly seek advice from those of you who may have the knowledge.
I found a nail in my rear tire today.
Rode home slowly and just am wondering, should I buy one of those plug kits to repair it?
Seems like a failure of the repair job would be ugly!!!
I am not independently wealthy, but I have a long ride coming up this weekend.
Tire is a tourance with 1500 miles on it.

Bigger Al 08-16-2011 06:46 PM

What kind of bike? Is the tire mounted tubeless? If not, then no, you can't plug it.

Plugging a tubeless tire is perfectly acceptable.

El Borracho 08-16-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigger Al (Post 16645152)
What kind of bike? Is the tire mounted tubeless? If not, then no, you can't plug it.

Plugging a tubeless tire is perfectly acceptable.

The bike is a 1200 GSA and the tire is tubeless.
Any plug kits that you recommend?
Also any other tips are appreciated.
Thanks and thanks

hugemoth 08-16-2011 07:05 PM

I've plugged many tires with the "sticky rope" type plugs and have never had one fail. YMMV. Just follow the instructions on the package.

GreaseMonkey 08-16-2011 07:12 PM

Go ahead, get a kit and make sure you read the instructions, and get an air pump (there are quite a few people who like to get the $10 slime pump from Wal mart and take all the plastic bits off so they get pretty tiny) and go ahead and ride.

With any new tire repair, it is a good idea to check the tire pressure a few times for the first couple of days. It may lose a couple pounds while the string seats in but it should be stabilized after a day. If not, redo it IMHO.

El Borracho 08-16-2011 07:19 PM

Thanks one and all

Thanks to all for advice.
I will repair it and ride.
Camping at Big Sur this weekend with old high school buddies :freaky( about 450 miles round trip ) so I wanted to be sure about the repair.
Anyhow, Thanks again:1drink

JimVonBaden 08-16-2011 07:55 PM

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Plugging.html

No worries!

Jim :brow

El Borracho 08-16-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 16645728)

Thanks for the great demo Jim!!:clap

Flashmo 08-16-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey (Post 16645388)
Go ahead, get a kit and make sure you read the instructions, and get an air pump (there are quite a few people who like to get the $10 slime pump from Wal mart and take all the plastic bits off so they get pretty tiny) and go ahead and ride.

With any new tire repair, it is a good idea to check the tire pressure a few times for the first couple of days. It may lose a couple pounds while the string seats in but it should be stabilized after a day. If not, redo it IMHO.

+1 on every word GM said.

I have NO issues with plugging my tires with the sticky strings and riding them to the end of their useful life.

shu 08-16-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Borracho (Post 16645052)
Rode home slowly and just am wondering, should I buy one of those plug kits to repair it?

Yes, get the 'sticky worms' kit and follow the directions. Use the glue provided.

Seems like a failure of the repair job would be ugly!!!

Actually, the sticky string is not going to fall out, they get hot as you ride and bond to the tire, so failure mode would be a small leak not a sudden loss of air.

My opinion, and my experience with 3 plugged tires.

...............shu

LittleRedToyota 08-17-2011 01:04 PM

all my bikes have always used tubed tires, so no plugs in those.

but i have plugged more cage tires than i can remember (all with the self-vulcanizing plugs...no glue). only ever had one fail...and that "failing" was a very slow leak--had to make sure to put air in it about once a week.

if you are uncomfortable about the plugs, though, you can remove the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside "the right way". they sell those kits in auto parts stores, too. (it's kinda like an innertube patch, but you put it on the inside of the tire instead of the outside of a tube.)

mjydrafter 08-17-2011 01:50 PM

As a goodyear certified tire jocky and retreader, the super preferred method is to plug (seals the cords from water & corrosion) and a patch on the inside (seals the liner). This is for truck tires BTW... should be major overkill for autos and cycles.

That said, I think I have plugs without patches in about 4 of the 8 cage tires between the wife and I.

Plug away.

Some companies make some fancy rubber plugs, but like many above, I have nothing bad to say about the sticky ropes. Plus you can find them anywhere.

LittleRedToyota 08-17-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjydrafter (Post 16650810)
As a goodyear certified tire jocky and retreader, the super preferred method is to plug (seals the cords from water & corrosion) and a patch on the inside (seals the liner).

a guy i know who owns a tire shop told me not to do both. (or, if i want both, to buy those plugs that have a patch attached to them you insert from the inside).

he said if you use both a plug and a patch, you can get air trapped between the plug and the patch...when the tire gets hot, the air expands, and causes either the patch or the plug (or both) to leak.

is that really an issue? if so, is there anything special you do to prevent it?

thanks.

Bigger Al 08-17-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota (Post 16651193)
a guy i know who owns a tire shop told me not to do both. (or, if i want both, to buy those plugs that have a patch attached to them you insert from the inside).

he said if you use both a plug and a patch, you can get air trapped between the plug and the patch...when the tire gets hot, the air expands, and causes either the patch or the plug (or both) to leak.

is that really an issue? if so, is there anything special you do to prevent it?

thanks.

There should be no issues with that at all. I've been doing it for a living for 22 years with zero problems. Personally, I do not bother with a plug unless the hole is 1/4" or larger.
People have good luck with the plug patches, but I've not used them very often.

LittleRedToyota 08-17-2011 06:20 PM

good to know. thanks man! :freaky

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 AM.