ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Oil leak at counter shaft on KTM 450 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732471)

marin ktm 10-09-2011 11:22 PM

Oil leak at counter shaft on KTM 450

I have a slight oil dribble at the counter shaft on my '07 KTM 450 EXC. Does anyone have any advice on replacement?

Off the grid 10-10-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marin ktm (Post 17039563)
I have a slight oil dribble at the counter shaft on my '07 KTM 450 EXC. Does anyone have any advice on replacement?

Pretty common if you run your chain too tight. Rule of thumb...chain should look loose, then loosen it some more. It should look almost TOO loose.

The seal is easy to replace and get out. Use an awl or similar to get it out (gently!) and a large socket to put it in...make sure it's seated correctly.

Albie 10-10-2011 11:00 AM

The seal probably doesn't need replacing, the bushing is what really gets worn. Unfortunately, it's much more expensive then the seal, but it's easier to replace. Just slide it out and slide the new one in.

ChrisC 10-10-2011 12:57 PM

If the 450 is anything like the LC4 in this regard, then part number 17 (o-ring) is often at fault for the weepy countershaft...

http://www.ktmworld.com/oem_part_ima...7_450SXF38.gif

LukasM 10-10-2011 01:05 PM

Check the bushing for wear as Albie said, and also check if you have an OEM countersprocket on there as the aftermarket ones are sometimes too thin.

Otherwise it's probably the O-ring as Chris said, they flatten out over time, especially if you unbolt the countersprocket and put it back on.

I like to use the O-Ring from the two strokes, it has very similar outside dimensions but is a bit thicker and seals better. Don't have the part number handy but you should be able to find it by searching here and on KTMtalk.

Cheers

wrk2surf 10-10-2011 09:52 PM

and keep that chain LOOOSE..

marin ktm 10-11-2011 11:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have always run my chain loose. It looks pretty simple. Although it is hard to tell from all of the input what parts I should order. Seal? Bushing? Washer? O-ring? All of the above? I am sure that once I start taking things apart, it will become obvious. I may as well get another new chain and sprockets while I am at it. I hope it is easier than wheel bearings/spacers. Those things have been a real pain to remove on this bike.

Any recommendations on where to get the parts?

It has 241 hours and 5600 miles and has been an awesome performer on 95% singletrack trails for almost 5 years.

Albie 10-12-2011 08:17 AM

I just got mine at the local KTM dealer. The seal and O-ring are cheap. The bushing will run you around $20-$24. They're parts that most dealers should have in stock. When mine started leaking I picked up the seal and O-ring and changed them out but it still leaked. Had to go back and get the bushing a couple days later and once I swapped it out I was golden. You'll probably save a couple bucks if you order on line from some place like Munn or Cycle Hutt.

I've got a little over 6K on mine and it's been one of the best bikes I've ever owned!

r'elise me 02-11-2013 11:11 PM

Thought it worth reviving this thread to ask if there are any tricks to removing the bushing without removing the seal and vice versa. I'm kind of worried about scratching the case when I yank on the seal with an awl. I'm thinking it would be easier to pull the seal after pulling the bushing, but not sure if that's possible.

BTW, I see Moose Racing sells a complete kit. Anyone have experience with that kit? I like their bearings and steel-sleeved front wheel spacers better than OEM, but wondering if OEM is better in for the countershaft seals.

Thanks!

BogeyMan 02-11-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r'elise me (Post 20705642)
Thought it worth reviving this thread to ask if there are any tricks to removing the bushing without removing the seal and vice versa. I'm kind of worried about scratching the case when I yank on the seal with an awl. I'm thinking it would be easier to pull the seal after pulling the bushing, but not sure if that's possible.

BTW, I see Moose Racing sells a complete kit. Anyone have experience with that kit? I like their bearings and steel-sleeved front wheel spacers better than OEM, but wondering if OEM is better in for the countershaft seals.

Thanks!

I've used the Enduro Engineering kit with success. If your seal is good, you should be able to grab the bushing with your fingers and pull it out. Then use a pick or needle-nosed pliers to pull out the O ring.

Albie 02-12-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r'elise me (Post 20705642)

Thanks!

The bushing should just pull right out then fish out the o-ring with a pick. I've used a sheet metal screw to remove the seal, just screw it in and yank it out with a pair of pliers.

Haven't tried the MR kit but I have tried the All Balls one and that kit works fine.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:47 PM.