ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The MotionX on the iPhone Thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741182)

basketcase 11-12-2011 08:49 AM

The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Using search I did not find a thread devoted to the iPhone and the specific app so maybe this will become the MotionX brain trust.

I have an iPhone 4 and have had MotionX installed for a while but have not used it. Then several weeks ago a friend broke down eight miles into the boonies on his bike and two of us set off at dusk dark with a Garmin 76Csx and a TomTom and had the devil of a time finding him.

It would have been much simpler had I known the MotionX app well enough to load his position and go straight in. So now I'm on a mission to learn the app post haste!

Insight any of you can offer about using the specific app (MotionX) and the necessary and related mapping and navigation needs will be appreciated. :thumb

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Barman 11-12-2011 09:02 AM

I just downloaded the app yesterday.... :ear

Jeff@TheQuadShop 11-12-2011 09:25 AM

I've been using it for awhile now. Check their website, they have a really good set of instructions.

basketcase 11-12-2011 09:45 AM

Jeff, thanks for the heads up.

And here's the iPhone specific link: http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

Duh -- finding the link was easy enough. Sometimes doofus here is oblivious to the obvious. :lol3

But experienced uses can cut through a lot of the fog, so I would be interested in your general take on the app, trick, shortcuts, etc.

Thanks again.

Bob Tosi 11-12-2011 02:40 PM

Have you had the issue of the phone interrupting the GPS with "voice mail password incorrect"?

I keep getting this and it's a PITA because I have to stop, take off a glove and cancel out the msg and restore MotionX.

kimel 11-12-2011 02:43 PM

Used both the regular Motion-X and Motion-X Drive for quite awhile. Haven't had the voicemail issue. The voice guidance subscription is well worth it.

TRZ Charlie 11-12-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Tosi (Post 17290366)
Have you had the issue of the phone interrupting the GPS with "voice mail password incorrect"?

I keep getting this and it's a PITA because I have to stop, take off a glove and cancel out the msg and restore MotionX.

To avoid this go to settings>Notifications>Phone>Notification Center>set to off & do the same for messages. No more problems. I just turn it off when using MotionX and on when I'm not using it.

TRZ Charlie 11-12-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimel (Post 17290379)
Used both the regular Motion-X and Motion-X Drive for quite awhile. Haven't had the voicemail issue. The voice guidance subscription is well worth it.

I have MotionX drive and when the trial subscription ran out I got Mapquest for iPhone. It talks and it's free.

Lounge 11-13-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie (Post 17292084)
I have MotionX drive and when the trial subscription ran out I got Mapquest for iPhone. It talks and it's free.

Motion X will crush an iPhone battery - at least that's my experience.

intothenew 11-13-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lounge (Post 17293207)

I think your battery and the notification issue are related. I only have those two issues when I run "off map", and it's worse with weak signal. I don't think I have had either issue when the maps are cached.

TRZ Charlie 11-14-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lounge (Post 17293207)

Yes, of course you're right that's why my tank bag is wired with a cigarette plug and USB adapter to power the iPhone.

MrBob 11-14-2011 06:49 PM

I've searched for a iPhone app thread and didn't find one so I'll get one up in Shiny Things. If another one shows up it can merge.
One of my apps is Trail Maps by National Geographic. The maps are nice: aerial, grid, and topo, and it's got a locate function and will scroll in all directions. Around here the mountains block cell coverage most of the time so I may need to go back to a Garmin for backcountry navigation.

basketcase 11-14-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBob (Post 17305455)
I've searched for a iPhone app thread and didn't find one so I'll get one up in Shiny Things. If another one shows up it can merge.
One of my apps is Trail Maps by National Geographic. The maps are nice: aerial, grid, and topo, and it's got a locate function and will scroll in all directions. Around here the mountains block cell coverage most of the time so I may need to go back to a Garmin for backcountry navigation.

Hmm. My thought here is not so much about the shiny thing (iPhone) as it is about the LDT thing (MotionX software, referred to in Apple's lingo as an app).

The more I read the more I realize MotionX is a player in electronic navigation, and MotionX GPS for the iPhone is a robust GPS software that happens to run on a particular piece of hardware. But my core question is about the GPS software, not the hardware.

Since my original post and questions I've figured out how to utilize it for an inexpensive SPOT device by sharing my location. The upside of this for me with a college kid on the road all the time is that if she breaks down she can fire off a fix to me via email using MotionX, and within minutes I can be headed out navigating to her location using the same software.

Re, Garmin and backcountry navigation. I have a Garmin 76Csx that is the cat's meow for that. It's a little bulky but highly accurate and functional. I used it last year to follow tracks to ride the CDT.

Maps have to be loaded into the 76 model but by now there are probably handheld Garmin units with full map sets installed fresh out of the box.

:thumb

Nataraj85 11-14-2011 11:55 PM

Awesome - i don't have an iPhone, but if I did this would be very useful - thanks for sharing....

abhibeckert 11-17-2011 02:59 PM

I've been using MotionX for years. It's great!

If you ever ride off road and have an iPhone, you should buy this app.

Be sure to use the built in map downloads feature to get a zoomed out version of everywhere you might ever go (I downloaded the road map of all of australia at zoom levels 1 to 9, it's only 9MB and has all the major towns and roads), and then download zoomed in maps of where you're actually riding (say, zoom level 10 to 14, both topographic and road map).

The topo map is handy, but the road map is easier to read - especially if you're just glancing down while riding. And for some really remote areas the topo map isn't available at close in zoom levels.

For navigating trails with no map, you can use the google satellite map while you have WiFi or 3G to place waypoints at key points along the trail, perhaps with labels like "turn south here", and then use the compass to navigate to the next waypoint (it will show you a marker for the direction you're travelling in and another marker pointing to the target waypoint, as well as remaining distance/estimated arrival time).

Re: battery life, for me it only drains the battery when it's being displayed on the screen or when it's recording a track in the background. I usually have it plugged into power, but I once got about 6 hours of battery life running on battery, recording a track, with the screen turned off. I'm sure you could get it to last days if you don't need to record a track. Weeks if you power it down when not in use.

If the road/firetrail/singletrack isn't on the map, I record it while riding, and when I've got time head over to openstreetmap.org and add it to the map.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:23 PM.